Phone Systems

Ask a Phone Systems Question, Get an Answer ASAP!

Line in use prevents use of phone, Panasonic KX-TGA230B, 2…

Line in use prevents...

Line in use prevents use of phone

Technician's Assistant: What's the brand/model of your phone system?

Panasonic KX-TGA230B

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your KX-TGA230B? What have you tried so far?

2 days. Batteries fine though symbol on phone shows they are low . Tryied reset by unplugging home base. Punched every button cmbination possible.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Phone Expert to know before I connect you?

Kx-tga230b

4/23/2018
Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer

Hello & Welcome to Just Answer,
I'm Greg and will do my best to assist with troubleshooting this issue today.
To help with this issue, may I ask:
1) Can you double-check and CONFIRM the FULL Model Number of the phone system you are working with? If this is a cordless system, that model should be printed on a sticker on the bottom or back of the MAIN base (model sent appears to have a TYPO in it).
2) What landline phone service provider (phone company) you have for this phone line?
3) Do you have ANY other devices/phones (NOT part of the Panasonic system) attached to this same phone line and if so, are they working properly?

Please REPLY using the box below and the SEND button.
*** IMPORTANT NOTE: ***
ANY requests for "additional services" (such as a phone call) are OPTIONAL and sent BY THE SITE AUTOMATICALLY (and not me), and I am NOT available by phone at the moment.
Please DECLINE (close) any such offers, and continue in this text/chat form.
Thanks

Kxtg2382b. At&t. computer.

Hi again and thanks for that information.

Unfortunately I'm not near a phone right now to be able to call. However another expert may respond to your call request before I can reach a phone.
We can also continue here in this chat/text form.
IF that will work for you, please let me know:

Is the AT&T service "U-verse based" or "direct wired" to your location?

AND do you have a DIFFERENT "Basic phone" that CAN be connected to the phone line - to TEST if it can get a dial tone? Any phone would do for this TEST.

Thanks

Uverse. Have extra straight phone.

OK - please DISCONNECT the phone cord from the phone jack where the Panasonic MAIN BASE is connected.

Then WAIT about 2 minutes, then connect the OTHER phone to that same phone jack and TEST for a dial tone and the ability to make outgoing calls.

Let me know your results - when you can.

Tried basic phone. Open sound. No dial tone.

Thanks for doing that TEST - and the results.

So IF the other BASIC phone has similar symptoms (no dial tone) we must now concentrate on the SERVICE.

So may I ask if you have a "MAIN BOX" for the U-verse service, and if so, does it look the same (or similar) to one of the units I have attached - as an image (click LONG LINK to see image)?

Silver

OK - please take a close look at the front of that unit - and tell me if the "Phone 1" light is ON, Flashing, OFF, or something else?

Line one is steady on. Line two off. Wireless blinking.

Thanks for that detail.

I believe it is time to RESET that box - so it will reload and reboot all of your services (internet, phone, etc.).

To do that reset, simply find the POWER PLUG in the back of that box and disconnect it. And leave it disconnected for AT LEAST TWO MINUTES.

AND check that ALL the lights are out on the front of the box.
NOTE: If ALL the lights are NOT out, there may be a "backup battery" that needs to be disconnected/removed. T
Then, after the TWO MINUTES, reconnect the power plug, and watch the lights on the front of the box for a minute or so, as the device restarts. When the lights "stabilize", then you should be able to make a TEST for a dial tone on any phone connected, and also try making an outgoing call.
IF that works with the BASIC phone, reconnect the Panasonic Phone System Main Base Unit to the phone line and TEST that you can make and receive calls.

Please let me know your results - when you can.

Thanks, ***** *****

OK have to go to basement.

Take you time - I should be here for at least another hour or so.

Reset. No change. Still no dial tone.

OK - if that is the case AND the PHONE 1 light is back on, this could be either a hardware error OR "network error - in the AT&T equipment of network.

The next step it so contact the AT&T Support group and report this issue and have them look into it. They should be available 24 hours a day -every day - and I have their main contact details below.

AT&T Customer Support : 1(###) ###-####/strong>

Go through menu

http://www.att.com/contactus/index/homephone.html

Look for "Chat Available"

Please let me know what is found or if you have any more questions about this issue.

Thanks, ***** *****

Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer