Phone Systems

Ask a Phone Systems Question, Get an Answer ASAP!

My phone is fully charged but there is humming on line and…

Hi-my phone is fully...

Hi-my phone is fully charged but there is humming on line and no dial tone, I believe I've done everything properly. HELP!

Technician's Assistant: What's the brand/model of your phone system?

KX-TG6572

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your phone system? What have you tried so far?

Charging batteries, unplugging cords and plugging back in and it's the first time I've tried using product

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Phone Expert to know before I connect you?

Phone service is through cable company so I was told just to plug phone into modem and wall outlet

Answered in 1 minute by:
4/9/2018
Nathan, Technician

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

Can you tell me a bit more about the problem please:

1) If you have multiple handsets (within the same system), does this happen with all of them?
2) Are there other phones or even a fax, outside of this system but on the same line? If so are they working properly?
3) Is this a landline from the local phone/cable company, or a VOIP service (vonage/magicjack/etc)?

I have two hand-sets and the humming is on both. No other phones or fax outside of this system. This is landline service from cable company.

Thanks for confirming,

this is most likely a service/line issue,

try unplugging power to the cable modem, for at least 5 minutes

replug, wait 5 more, then test the line and let me know if it still humms.

The humming is gone but there is still no dial tone. The cable company reset the line.

Thank you for checking, Are you sure you're plugged into the right port on the modem? It should say Phone1 or Line 1.

Beyond that, this symptom can indicate either a problem with the line (phone company equipment or the wiring in your home) still OR a hardware failure in the base station (since the issue happens with all handsets). We most often see this type of damage to the base unit as the result of a power surge, either through the phone or power lines.

The one remaining thing you may attempt yourself is to fully reset the system:
1) unplug both power and phone lines from the main base.
2) remove batteries from all handsets
3) wait at least 15 minutes, then restore all
4) place a handset on the main base for a minute, as if to charge
5) check for functionality, and let me know the results, please.

If still no change, it will next be necessary to test another device on the line.

I did what you advised but there is still no dial tone.

We really need to test another device here then,

do you have another phone there, preferably just a basic corded or wall phone, or the previous phone system that you could connect temporarily, borrow a phone from a neighbor for a few minutes, etc?

I tested another land-line and still no dial tone...

Okay we are looking at a line/service issue here then.

Is this a new phone service that was just recently activated, or something you've been using for awhile now?

The cable company is checking the line, the service was installed in August. But this is a brand new phone so logically it must be the service ; someone will be getting back to me for further assistance.

I completely agree, and it is confirmed with the testing of the other phone.

It is a cable co issue and they will need to send a tech out at this point to repair this issue on their end.

Thank you,

Nathan, Technician