Phone Systems

Ask a Phone Systems Question, Get an Answer ASAP!

Calls in and out garbled and static, KXT010315, Only

Calls in and out...

Calls in and out garbled and static

Technician's Assistant: What's the brand and model of your product?

KXT010315

Technician's Assistant: What have you tried so far?

Only unplugging

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Electronics Expert to know before I connect you?

Phone appears reconditioned base looks very old purchased from att

4/4/2018
Nathan, Technician

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

Can you tell me a bit more about the problem please:

1) If you have multiple handsets (within the same system), does this happen with all of them?
2) Are there other phones or even a fax, outside of this system but on the same line? If so are they working properly?
3) Is this a landline from the local phone/cable company, or a VOIP service (vonage/magicjack/etc)?
4) Do you have dsl service on the same line?
5) Full model of the phone(s) (printed on sticker on the main base station, not the handset)

Multiple, (2) no (3) yes (4) dsl?
(5)panasonicKXT010315

Please recheck, that is not a valid model.

Cannot afford. 26, 84 yrs. Old on fixed income

I did not ask for anything else.

You are seeing an automated ad by the site for a call or remote session. It is not sent by me. This is optional and may be ignored if you wish.

You have paid the full agreed upon fees (5 deposit + balance/total) noted on the payment page when posting your question. For this to be productive, please focus on our conversation here, and providing the details I requested above.

SORRY KX-TG10315

Okay and can you tell me WHO provides your home phone service?

If someone leaves you a message, and you press play on the base station to hear it, is that also garbled?

AT&T not garbled, but phone is garbled upon picking it up

So playback on the base is ok, but on the handsets is garbled?

Correct

Thank you for checking,

That woudl indicate a hardware failure in the base station (since the issue happens with all handsets), specifically a bad radio transceiver. We most often see this type of damage to the base unit as the result of a power surge, either through the phone or power lines. This could also easily be just normal age related wear and tear. This is a pretty old (2009 model) system, about double its service life at this opint.

The one thing you may attempt yourself is to fully reset the system:
1) unplug both power and phone lines from the main base.
2) remove batteries from all handsets
3) wait at least 15 minutes, then restore all
4) place a handset on the main base for a minute, as if to charge
5) check for functionality, and let me know the results, please.

This unit appears old as stated , however, i purchased it in December.

Was it purchased used? Or on a site like ebay?

No,from AT&T, FULL PRICE PAID
Will you be waiting until 15 min is up

Okay well they clearly sold you a very old stock item, which may have been refurbished but is clearly defective at this point.

I would not expect any warranty covereage from panasonic, but it wouldn't hurt to try filing a claim with them.

Ultimately, I'd suggest you go back to ATT and complain about being sold this old model and ask for a full refund, then go buy a new system from a more reputable source.

If replacing, here is a model I'd suggest: https://amzn.to/2EkpRL5

Yes, I'll be here when you are done resetting, though I don't expect it will make much difference.

Thank you but i will be calling and purchase another phone. Thanks for the suggestions

Thanks for trying.

That is what I would recommend as well, but I would not try purchasing phone equipment through att.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

Thank you, ***** ***** a nice day,

Nathan, Technician