Phone Systems

Ask a Phone Systems Question, Get an Answer ASAP!

5 unit phone ...incoming calls do not ring and goes direct…

Customer Question
5 unit phone ...incoming...

5 unit phone ...incoming calls do not ring and goes direct to voicemail

Technician's Assistant: What's the brand/model and Operating System (OS) of your smartphone?

Kxtgf372c. 5 unit

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your smartphone? What have you tried so far?

Since install in december

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Phone Systems
3/26/2018
Electronics Technician: Nathan, Technician replied 3 months ago
Nathan, Technician

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

Can you tell me a bit more about the problem please:

1) If you have multiple handsets (within the same system), does this happen with all of them?
2) Are there other phones or even a fax, outside of this system but on the same line? If so are they working properly?
3) Is this a landline from the local phone/cable company, or a VOIP service (vonage/magicjack/etc)?

1 yes
2 no
3 local

No you don't have any other phones (not part of the panasonic system)?

Can you tell me who provides the phone service?

Bell canada
Montreal quebec

Can you please unplug power to your bell modem for at least 5 minutes

replug, wait 5 more, then test again and let me know the results

This set was a replacement to an older panasonic model
Ok

Was it just installed?

Installed early december

Okay please complete the modem reset and let me know if you can get a dial tone or receive calls at that point

We just tried to call the land line and it rang through from several outside cell phones. The problem was intermittent whether it would ring or go direct to voice mail.
We had a neighbour call from a land line and again it went directly to voice mail.
R u there ?

Sorry your messages just came through,

this is after the modem reboot I assume?

This symptom can indicate either a problem with the line (phone company equipment or the wiring in your home) OR a hardware failure in the base station (since the issue happens with all handsets). We most often see this type of damage to the base unit as the result of a power surge, either through the phone or power lines.

The one thing you may attempt yourself is to fully reset the system:
1) unplug both power and phone lines from the main base.
2) remove batteries from all handsets
3) wait at least 15 minutes, then restore all
4) place a handset on the main base for a minute, as if to charge
5) check for functionality, and let me know the results, please.

Thanks will try as you suggest.

You're very welcome. Any luck with that process?

Hi Nathan, I did try your 5 steps but we still have the same problem. Terry
Thanks for trying. At this point we really need to test another phone on this same line. Can you hook the old phone up or borrow a basic corded or wall phone from a neighbor for a few minutes?
I will try to locate one
Hi Nathan, i have another phone and it is plugged in.

Okay so does the other phone get a dial tone (and call out) and can you receive calls in on it?

but there is a hum on the line

Unplug the panasonic system from the line and then test how the other phone works, primarily if it will consistently receive calls (not go direct to VM)

I am changing to this system as I am getting copies of your notes by text,response should be better. The phone has a bad hum

Yes I saw that about the hum,

Just tried calling the house phone from my Cel and it rang

Okay I'd suggest testing a few more times, over the course of the next hour or so, just to make sure it is working consistently.

Just called home number,voice mail kicked in from bell
On the new phone
I guess that the voice mail system is on bell. Maybe we need to shut off something on panasonic

The panasonic should still ring though, as should the extra/test phone.

Voicemail should not pick up immediately, usually only after 4 rings or more

Hello, it appears your question is still open.

Do you need more help with this?

Please note: You have already paid your fees to the site; I'd like to help you and provide value for that fee, but I do need to communicate with you here to do so, if more help is needed.