Phone Systems

Ask a Phone Systems Question, Get an Answer ASAP!

I just purchased a Digital Cordless Phone set and have

I just purchased a...

I just purchased a Digital Cordless Phone set and have repeatedly used the Settings to turn OFF the horrible voice Caller ID, but after 6 tries, including "Save," she is still screeching. How can I turn her off?

Technician's Assistant: What's the brand/model of your phone system?

Panasonic KX-TGF340.

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your KX-TGF340? What have you tried so far?

I thought I just told you: I used the Menu; then Settings; then Talking CID, which can be either "off" or "on." I have repeatedly selected and saved "Off," to absolutely no avail.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Phone Expert to know before I connect you?

No - that is my question. I want to shut that voice off.

3/22/2018
Nathan, Technician

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

Is the voice coming from the base station, or the handset(s)?

Only the base station. I have followed the instructions in the accompanying booklet, but it doesn't work. I cannot stand this screeching voice.

Lets try a different process,

please take a handset (in standby/off mode) and key in Menu#1620 Save Off

Let me know if that helps

Will try that - will have to call my land line with my cell.

No problem, take your time,

if it doesn't let you put in the last 0,

then do just menu#162, then up/down to highlight OFF, then Save, then press the Off/end button

That did NOT work, either. She is still screeching, even though both the base and handset have been set to Voice CID "off

Can you try doing this on the base station itself, pressing menu then #162, then up/down to Off, then Save, then Off

Will try that -
Does not work, either: "Call from wireless caller" was just screeched out by the base unit.
I'm beginning to think I should try "On" instead - since "off" clearly doesn't work at all.

Off is the correct setting.

When you go back into the menu again, does it show as off? It would say <OFF>

it does show "Off" under the "settings" and Voice CID option. I have pressed "Save" every time, seemingly to no avail.

If it shows <off> when you go back in, the setting is saving, it just isn't recognizing it, which indicates a memory glitch or hardware fault in the base station.

The one thing you may attempt yourself is to fully reset the system:
1) unplug both power and phone lines from the main base.
2) remove batteries from all handsets
3) wait at least 15 minutes, then restore all
4) place a handset on the main base for a minute, as if to charge
5) check for functionality, and let me know the results, please. Note that you may need to apply the talking caller id off setting one more time

I will try that, but I can't take the time right now. I will have to log back in and advise - is that how this works?

No problem, take your time.

You can leave this page open, bookmark/favorite it, or log back in later when you're ready.

Okay, thanks - do I get connected to someone else later?

As long as you respond back here on this question directly you'll get back to me.

Do not open a new question/thread or you'll have to pay again and start all over

Nathan: Finally - success! I did as you suggested, and it worked - but I actually had to manually set each individual handset as well, which seemed sort of weird, since it should transmit from the base the way the date and time do. However - I called my land line and thank god - nothing but the sound of the phone ringing. Thanks very much!
Great! Glad that did the trick for you!
Nathan, Technician
I should add - my cat thanks you, also. That shrieking voice scared her to death, and she would run and hide

You're very welcome, glad kitty is happy :)