Phone Systems

Ask a Phone Systems Question, Get an Answer ASAP!

Having a problem with a Panasonic phone - saying line in use…

Hi having a problem...

Hi having a problem with a Panasonic phone - saying line in use but not using sand can’t ring out. When the phone rings it rings intermittently and also after I hang up. Cannot make outgoing calls

Technician's Assistant: What Panasonic model do you have?

It’s a 5.8 Gigarange handset with 3 handsets. About 10 years old

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your Panasonic phone? What have you tried so far?

Started midday yesterday when a call came through. Have unplugged all three handsets to try and isolate but nothing seems to work.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Phone Expert to know before I connect you?

Have reported to Westnet but haven’t heard anythung

3/20/2018
Nathan, Technician

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

Can you tell me a bit more about the problem please:

1) If you have multiple handsets (within the same system), does this happen with all of them?
2) Are there other phones or even a fax, outside of this system but on the same line? If so are they working properly?
3) Is this a landline from the local phone/cable company, or a VOIP service (vonage/magicjack/etc)?
4) Do you have dsl service on the same line?
5) Full model of the phone(s) (printed on sticker on the main base station, not the handset)

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have 3 handsets and all saying line in use.
I am with Westnet and have reported with them but haven’t got back to me
I have a modem on same line
It’s a Panasonic 5.8 Gigarange phone
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The modem is working ok and have strong internet signal

You have no other phones, not part of the panasonic system?

This symptom can indicate either a problem with the line (phone company equipment or the wiring in your home) OR a hardware failure in the base station (since the issue happens with all handsets). We most often see this type of damage to the base unit as the result of a power surge, either through the phone or power lines.

The one thing you may attempt yourself is to fully reset the system:
1) unplug both power and phone lines from the main base.
2) remove batteries from all handsets
3) wait at least 15 minutes, then restore all
4) place a handset on the main base for a minute, as if to charge
5) check for functionality, and let me know the results, please.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Will try removing all batteries from all 3 handsets
Make sure you complete the entire process for the base too please
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Have removed all batteries now. Have tried just unplugging all handsets but did not solve problem. Hopefully taking out batteries will work. Do you think because the phone is 10 years old is the problem?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
How long do batteries last?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Will give it another 10 mins and let you know Nathan. Fingers crossed!

Batteries aon these are usually good for about 2 years,

the phone itself is over double its service life though, so I wouldn't be surprised to see a hardware issue here.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi Nathan
Have just reconnected base unit and still saying line in use

We'd really need to test something else at this point to properly isolate the problem

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No only the one phone with 2 other handsets

Testing another phone would be necessary to confirm, as there is still a possibility it is a line fault.
Could you perhaps borrow a phone from a neighbor for a few minutes?

Also can you unplug power to the modem for 5 minutes to reboot it too and then tes the line again?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Would new batteries fix it and are they available?

No batteries would not cause this, they just wouldn't turn on at all if that was the issue.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
What do u suggest?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Buy a new phone?

I would still try to test something else if you can.

If not, we would assume it is the phone, and yes then buy a new one.

If by chance the new one doesn't work either, then call the phone co to send a repair tech out.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok. The only other thing I can test is my modem but that seems to be working ok as I have internet
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Think I will buy a new handset and see if that fixes the issue

I'd still reboot the modem as mentioned.

The entire phone system would have to be replaced though otherwise. This is a base station fault, not the handset.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok thanks for your help Nathan.
You’re very welcome!
Nathan, Technician
Nathan, Technician