Phone Systems

Ask a Phone Systems Question, Get an Answer ASAP!

I have a Panasonic land line. One phone quits when it's in…

I have a Panasonic...

I have a Panasonic land line. One phone quits when it's in the mood and the other one works fine. I have changed the batteries on the first one four times since Oct. Once on the good one. Is the phone bad or has the base charget stop working>

Technician's Assistant: What's the brand/model of your phone system?

My eyes are bad, but on the bottom it looks like the model is Ick-tga1018. If that's not right, it's close.

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your ICK-TGA1018? What have you tried so far?

It just quits working until I put in new batteries. Got here in Oct. and use four sets of batteries since then.

3/15/2018
Nathan, Technician

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

Can you tell me a bit more about the problem please:

1) If you have multiple handsets (within the same system), does this happen with all of them?
2) Are there other phones or even a fax, outside of this system but on the same line? If so are they working properly?
3) Is this a landline from the local phone/cable company, or a VOIP service (vonage/magicjack/etc)?
4) Do you have dsl service on the same line?
5) Full model of the phone(s) (printed on sticker on the main base station, not the handset)

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
1. One bad, one good. 2.Have an old land line, not mobile or Panasonic. Works fine.. 3. No idea. 4.Have a modem from Century Link, whick is my phone company. 5.KX-TG1031S

Thank you for the information,

Does the phone just die entirely? Does the screen go blank too?

Does it happen consistently, or intermittently?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Its happened about four times since Oct. I need to know if I need a new phone or a new base. It seems that the batteries on the base phone wont take a charge. Always use new batteries.

Can you tell me what specific batteries you are using?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Not always the same. Current ones are a Delco and a Duracell. Both new and lasted about a week or 10 days.

Those both sound like part of the problem, if you are trying to use just standard alkaline batteries, they will not work properly and are also damaging your phone in the process.

These are the only battery you should use: http://amzn.to/2FGp4d1

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Then why do same batteries work fine in the other phone. Have used the same pair since Oct. with no problems. Not buying that.

Any AA battery can provide some power, but they do not work properly because they are not rechargeable batteries and attempting to charge them damages the phone.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
They are AAA and I never tried to charge them. Wouldn't know how. Do I need a new phone?

They charge within the phone, when it is sitting on the charger base.

If you are using the correct type of rechargeable NiMH batteries,

and it happens only in one handset, then the handset itself is defective and would need to be replaced.

However this is an older model phone system, from 2009, there are no parts available for it any longer and it would cost 2-3 times as much to fix as it would to start over and buy a whole new system. You can get a new package with a fresh warranty and updated features, with a base and 2 or more handsets, for around $50: http://amzn.to/2GxsImW

Hello, it appears your question is still open.

Do you need more help with this?

Please note: You have already paid your fees to the site; I'd like to help you and provide value for that fee, but I do need to communicate with you here to do so, if more help is needed.

Nathan, Technician
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Nathan told me I needed a new unit so I bought new Panasonic phones and am all set. Thats all I wanted to know. Thank you

Thank you for letting me know.

Nathan, Technician