Phone Systems

Ask a Phone Systems Question, Get an Answer ASAP!

The phone works great unless the number I've called requires…

The phone works great...

The phone works great unless the number I've called requires that I choose an option by pushing a button. It was during one such call in recent times when I discovered this problem. Otherwise the phone works great. I learned to live with it and make adjustments to avoid having to call anyone who required me to make choices. I really didn't need that option til now. So, how do I fix this problem?

Technician's Assistant: What's the brand/model of your phone system?

Cs6829-2

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your phone system? What have you tried so far?

I've followed the troubleshooting tips on line but none of that worked. I'm not really very tech savy.

Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/12/2018
Harry, Customer Service

Hello:

Welcome to JustAnswer! My name is ***** ***** I am happy to be assisting you today. My sincerest apologies that it look so long for someone to reply. I've just logged in and saw your question waiting and I'm happy to assist you. Before we begin, can you please let me know if you still need help with your question? Just use the reply box to let me know.

Better for me if you just text with me to solve this.
Are you there?
It's now 1:24 and I just received a note through my email account the tech answered my question but I see no actual answer yet. Can you explain this?

Does this happen on multiple numbers?

I've only got the one number.

If it only happens with one number then it could be their system -- If it happens to you with multiple numbers then it is likely an issue on your end.

Please use text to communicate as it's easier given I need to read and re-read at times to understand fully enough, disability issue with me
I have only one number but yes, this has happened when I've called many different numbers...Sorry I misundertood your question.
Happens when they ask me to choose an option by pressing the right button. They don't seem to register that I pushed the button to make my choice, at all.
Hello? Dog unplugged the power cord to my computer sorry about that.
Harry, when I clicked on your link above it said your name is Timothy. Why is that?
If I don't hear from you within the next couple of minutes at least, I'm going to terminate this session. I'll have no other choice.
Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer

Hello & Welcome,
I'm Greg and will do my best to assist with troubleshooting this issue today.
Sorry I didn't see your question earlier and to hear of any issue with your phone calls.
If you still need help with this issue, may I ask:
1) Are you able to receive IMAGES on the current computer/device you are using to communicate here?

2) Will you be able to make a TEST CALL to one of the numbers you mentioned, once we try some steps?

Please REPLY using the box below and the SEND button.
*** IMPORTANT NOTE: *** ANY requests for "additional services" (such as a phone call) are OPTIONAL and sent BY THE SITE AUTOMATICALLY (and not me), and I am NOT available by phone at the moment.
Please DECLINE (close) any such offers, and continue in this text/chat form.
Thanks

34;1) Are you able to receive IMAGES on the current computer/device you are using to communicate here?" I don't know.
don't know what you mean by # 2 either.
I only have one home phone and no cell phone.

OK - for question 2, I am only asking if you CAN remember and call one of the numbers that you are having an issue getting access to?

I just used free google phone through my email account to successfully call my home phone so yes, I can do that if that's what you asked before.
No, there were more than a few in the past, namely the local police dept. and the last I believe was the E.P.A. to report a possible chemical spill in my area.
I'm looking for the EPA number right now in google search to do that.
Okay I've found an 800 # for that kind of call to them. How do you want me to proceed with this?

Let me rephrase:

You ORIGINAL question was:

The phone works great unless the number I've called requires that I choose an option by pushing a button.

So will you be able to dial one of those numbers - to TEST?

Also, I have attached an IMAGE of the system you have. Please click the LONG LINK below this note, and let me know if you CAN see the image (or not).

I clicked on the link and it says there is no internet connection. no image appears.
I'm calling the EPA number right now to see if I can choose one of their options.
Nope. Still won't work.
Same problem as before in that the recording just keeps repeating as if I've made no choice by pushing a number.

Interesting that it would say "no internet connection".

So I believe will will have to do this with TEXT.

When you call that EPA number, let me know IF you can pick an "option" - by pressing one of the number keys.

Then try again EXPECT this time press the * (star) key ONE TIME BEFORE entering the number key.

Let me know if that works - then we will try to PROGRAM the phone to do that WITHOUT the star key.

Thanks

that worked!
She put me on hold, lol.

OK - please allow me a few moments to see and respond to your messages.

And please try to CLICK HERE and let me know if you can see the IMAGE it is linked to.

I got the image and am now transferred to another local EPA # to talk to them about a possible chemical problem.
The pic looks just like my phone set.

OK - while you do are on that call, I will try to attach another image - with the DETAILED STEPS for PROGRAMMING the Vtech system "Dial mode" to be in "touch-tone" mode.

I will then send an additional note to LICK top that image, just in case you need it in that form.

Let me know when you can see that NEW IMAGE.

Here is the NEW IMAGE LINK - CLICK HERE.

Please let me know if you can SEE That image, and if you can understand and TRY the steps there.

Thanks, ***** *****

pushing number choices now appears to be working great! Do you think this will continue to work?

Did you SEE and go through the PROGRAMMING steps - to set the dial mode to "Touch-tone" mode?

No, I was busy juggling being sent to different depts. on the EPA call. I got to test the number pushing option on the last transfer and it worked great. So, maybe it's fixed and I won't need to do anything further?

If you DID go through the programming steps, you can TEST if it will continue to work - by placing a NEW TEST CALL - such as to the EPA - and see if the programming worked.

Just do NOT press the STAR key before the option number, as it should NOT be needed if the programming was correct.

Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
I'd hate to screw it up by going into settings on the phone if it's working okay now, you know?
Call ended when I had to leave a phone message for local Toxic Chem. Spills & Health Concerns about the situation here. sorry.

Please LOOK AT THE IMAGE I sent, as it ALSO has the detail about pressing the STAR key - as a "TEMPORARY tone dialing" function.

In other words, that will work ONLY FOR THE CURRENT CALL.

The NEXT call you make will be back to "pulse/rotary" dialing mode.

ohh, I see. Well, I'd better get to work on this then to make sure it gets fixed for future use then. let me re-read and do what you've stated above first, okay?

Take your time and let me know the results AFTER programming and making a NEW TEST CALL - without pressing the star key.

Thanks, ***** *****

34;Did you SEE and go through the PROGRAMMING steps - to set the dial mode to "Touch-tone" mode?" I'll do that now, okay?
I did receive your second pic of the instructions for programming my phone, bear with me.

Thanks, ***** *****

I followed the instructions and made two test calls to the EPA and pushing buttons to make choices worked both times.

EXCELLENT! It sounds you you performed the steps correctly.

Please let me know if you have any more questions about this issue.

Thanks, ***** *****

Thank you so much Greg A.! I'm so happy to have this fixed! You have a great day as I know I'm going to now!
Bye.
Greg A.
Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer