Phone Systems

Ask a Phone Systems Question, Get an Answer ASAP!

I have a six year old answering machine and now when a

I have a six...

I have a six year old answering machine and now when a message comes in I don't hear it as I used to.

Technician's Assistant: What device or product does this involve?

The base unit

Technician's Assistant: What's the brand and model of your product?

Panasonic serial # 1KCXC465710 does this help?

Technician's Assistant: What have you tried so far with your Panasonic product?

I tried to check on the hand set,thought maybe i hit something wrong.

Technician's Assistant: What's the brand/model of your phone system?

Panasonic KX-TG4011 phone, System KX-Tg 4021 I think

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your KX-TG4011? What have you tried so far?

I;m Not sure,just noticed it yesterday.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Phone Expert to know before I connect you?

I don't think so.

3/12/2018
Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer

Hello & Welcome to Just Answer,
I'm Greg and will do my best to assist with troubleshooting this issue today.
Sorry I didn't see your question earlier and to hear of any issue with your phones.
If you still need help with this issue, may I ask:
1) Can you double-check and CONFIRM the FULL Model Number of the phone system you are working with? If this is a cordless system, that model should be printed on a sticker on the bottom or back of the MAIN base station.
2) How many TOTAL cordless handsets do you have with this system, and if more than one, do ALL handsets have this issue?
3) What landline phone service provider (phone company) you have for this phone line?
4) Do you have access to an outside phone - that can be used to place a TEST CALL to the Panasonic number?

Please REPLY using the box below and the SEND button.
*** IMPORTANT NOTE: *** ANY requests for "additional services" (such as a phone call) are OPTIONAL and sent BY THE SITE AUTOMATICALLY (and not me), and I am NOT available by phone at the moment.
Please DECLINE (close) any such offers, and continue in this text/chat form.
Thanks

Panasonic model KX-TG4073
3 handsets
frontier provider
mobile phone(###) ###-####

Hi again and thanks for that information.

OK - can you use the cell phone to place a TEST CALL to the landline number - and let me know EXACTLY what is heard - in the calling phone?

Please count the number of rings and NOTE the EXACT "greeting" that is heard, then try to leave a TEST MESSAGE.

Let me know what is heard.

Thanks

We just heard the message after the 4th ring.Did not hear it on the answering machine but the message came through.

OK - let me ask for a bit more detail:

Did you hear the "Greeting" in the CALLING PHONE (the cell phone)?

And when you said "Did not hear it on the answering machine but the message came through." - WHERE was the "message" heard?

Thanks

we heard it on the cell phone but not on the base unit until I pushed the play button.

Hi again,

OK - it sounds like the "Call Screening" feature of the handset has been turned OFF somehow.

Let me send you the steps to program that setting so you can try to turn that feature back ON.

I have attached the instructions AS AN IMAGE, which you should be able to see by clicking the LONG LINK below this note.

Please let me know if you can SEE that image and TRY the steps listed there.

Once completed, you will want to place a NEW TEST CALL - to see if the message CAN be heard - while it is being left.

Thanks

I can get the message through the handset but not the base unit. I give up and thank you for your time.George.

Hi again,

Please don't "give up" George ...

May I ask IF you place the handset IN THE BASE - when the message is left, can the message THEN be heard - as if playing through the base?

Thanks

but through the handset.
Did it always come though the handset and we didn't realize it? We are in our 80's so not too much up on these things.

I understand.

Now can you try a NEW TEST CALL and this time take the handset OFF the main base - and perhaps place it in another room or somewhere it can not be heard - and then let me know IF you can HEAR THE BASE "ringing" - for an incoming call?

And yes - it MAY have always come through the HANDSET, which may have been sitting on the base - making it appear to come from the base itself.

Let me know what happens with the base RINGER test.

Thanks

the base rings.
The base rings and the message comes through when I push the button. The message comes through the handset but i don't get the message I have on it. i think this will work out and thank you again.

OK - I only asked for that TEST because SOME Panasonic models can play the Call Screen messages through the base speaker.

But if I remember correctly, that is only for base units that have a microphone included AND a "keypad" for making calls in a "speakerphone" mode.

I double-checked the KX-TG402x series and none of the base units have the keypads included.

So it appears that the "Call Screening" feature only plays the incoming messages being left THROUGH the cordless handset(s) - regardless if the handset is on the base or not.

Please let me know if you have any more questions about this issue.
If this has helped answer your question(s), please take a moment to rate MY service level (5-star is my goal) so that I get credit for my time helping you with this question.
You should see some "stars" (and SUBMIT button) to do that, but please let me know if you do NOT see them (you may have to REFRESH your screen) or can not use them.

Thanks, ***** *****
--. .-

Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer