Phone Systems

Ask a Phone Systems Question, Get an Answer ASAP!

My panasonic wireless phones are not working. I cannot get a…

My panasonic wireless phones...

My panasonic wireless phones are not working. I cannot get a dial tone and when the number is ***** there is a busy signal

Technician's Assistant: What's the brand/model of your phone system?

It's a Panasonic model #KX-TGA470

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your #KX-TGA470? What have you tried so far?

It has been off and on for a week or so. I tried shutting down the modem for five minutes or so and I also disconnected all the phones except the base

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Phone Expert to know before I connect you?

Not that I can think of

1/16/2018
Nathan, Technician

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

Can you tell me a bit more about the problem please:

1) If you have multiple handsets (within the same system), does this happen with all of them?
2) Are there other phones or even a fax, outside of this system but on the same line? If so are they working properly?
3) Is this a landline from the local phone/cable company, or a VOIP service (vonage/magicjack/etc)?
4) Do you have dsl service on the same line?
5) Full model of the phone(s) (printed on sticker on the main base station, not the handset)

1. - Yes
2. No
3. Yes Optimum
4. What is DSL Service?
5. Mod. KX-TG7741 On Other sticker it says Mod. #KX-TG7745S S/N2JQA104747
Actually this is okay.

Thank you for the information,

As an initial step, please unplug power to your modem, for a minimum of 5 minutes,

replug, wait 5 more, and test again if you can get a dial tone.

If no change, unplug the phone cord from the panasonic base station and while it is disconnected call the home number from another line and let me know what happens - rings endlessly, busy signal, answering message, etc

Nathan, Technician
I did what you asked. No change. While it was disconnected I called it and still receive a busy signal. I forgot to tell you the phone also says "New Voice Message". I cannot seem to get rid of that.
I also forgot to tell you that I unplugged all the other phones too. I only have the one phone at the base station on.
Phone call session started

Thank you for the info, I've been trying to call but just get the voicemail. Perhaps that was the home number I was calling?

In any case though, if this happens even with the panasonic base disconnected there are only 2 possible causes, internal interference or an external line fault.

If you could possibly have anything else connected to the home line such as a fax/printer, security system, medical monitoring device, old satellite receiver, etc, please disconnect those. If not (or no change) then it is an optimum issue at this point and you'd need to call them to have them send a tech out to your home to repair the faulty equipment on their end.

Thank you very much, You must have been calling my home phone.(###) ###-#### I have no sign of you calling my mobile.
I guess I'll have to call Optimum.

I think so, it did go to a voicemail though, immediately, which would fit with it being an optimum issue.