Phone Systems

Ask a Phone Systems Question, Get an Answer ASAP!

I can't hear the people on the other end of the phone. It's…

Customer Question
I can't hear the...

I can't hear the people on the other end of the phone

Technician's Assistant: What's the brand/model and Operating System (OS) of your smartphone?

It's not a smartphone that is the problem, it is a landline

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Phone Systems
1/10/2018
Electronics Technician: Russell H., Service Tech replied 5 months ago
Russell H., Service Tech

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

If the other people at the other end are inaudible altogether and there is no trace of sound coming through from them, you may doubtfully have the volume too low on your phone. Try pressing the Volume + button several times, then listen carefully again.

After that... you might have a defective phone. But try it on Speakerphone mode also, in case the ear-speaker is defective... speakerphone mode often uses a different speaker and different circuitry. If you can hear them over Speakerphone but not in normal phone mode, there is a problem with your phone's normal speaker, the one you put up to your ear, and the phone will require replacement or perhaps repair-servicing (though that is likely to be not economical.)

Now, if you don't have a defective phone, you might just have a problem with the phone service.

If your phone service is digital or comes through a networking 'box', e.g. from Comcast, or Verizon FIOS, or Ooma or a similar digital phone service with a local 'box', you may need to unplug the box from the power, leave it that way for 10 minutes or longer, then plug it in to power again, wait 5 minutes for it to fully initialize, then after that try phone calls again.

If your phone service is not digital but is a landline, and you don't have a defective phone, then you will need to contact your phone company - if you wish, Reply and let me know your phone company, and I will offer you a means for contacting them without having a fully functional phone.

If this answers your question, please rate my answer. A five-star rating would be appreciated! Thank you.

If you need more info, or have any comments, use Reply To Expert to respond.