Phone Systems

Ask a Phone Systems Question, Get an Answer ASAP!

Phone Systems

The in use light remains on so calls can't come in. Vtech…

Customer Question
The in use light...

The in use light remains on so calls can't come in

Technician's Assistant: What's the brand/model of your phone system?

Vtech CS5119-2

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your CS5119-2? What have you tried so far?

Began last night - it flashes rather than a steady light

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Phone Expert to know before I connect you?

I use comcast for service

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Phone Systems
1/7/2018
Electronics Technician: Greg A., Engineer replied 1 month ago
Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer

Hello & Welcome to Just Answer,
I'm Greg and will do my best to assist with troubleshooting this issue today.
Sorry I didn't see your question earlier and to hear of any issue with your phones.
If you still need help with this issue, may I ask:
1) What happens to the "IN USE" light IF the phone cord is disconnected from the main base (or phone jack where connected)?
2) How many TOTAL cordless handsets do you have with this system?
3) Do you have ANY other devices/phones (NOT part of the Vtech system) attached to this same phone line and if so, are they working properly?

Please REPLY using the box below and the SEND button.
*** IMPORTANT NOTE: *** ANY requests for "additional services" (such as a phone call) are OPTIONAL and sent BY THE SITE AUTOMATICALLY (and not me), and I am NOT available by phone at the moment.
Please DECLINE (close) any such offers, and continue in this text/chat form.
Thanks

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
After I disconnected the phone line and then reconnected the line the light went out, but with the next call it begins to blink again. I have two handsets with this system. I do not have any other devices attached to this system.

Hi again and thanks for that information.

According to my notes, the IN USE light has the following states:

• On when the telephone line is in use.
  • On when you are registering a handset.
  • Flashes quickly when there is an incoming call.
  • Flashes when another telephone sharing the same line is in use.
  • Flashes when you are deregistering all handsets.

Otherwise, the IN USE light should be OFF.

So may I ask if the "next call" mentioned - which cause the light to flash again - was an INCOMING call or an OUTGOING CALL?

AND, when the call was completed, were you able to "hang up" successfully from that call - by pressing the OFF button on the handset OR placing the handset on the main base or charger?

One other question: What is the AGE of this system and have the batteries in either handset EVER been replaced - since the system was new?

Thanks

(im)

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I just purchased the system in December. The call was an in-coming call that caused it to flash again. I usually hit the off key to hang up rather than replacing the handset on the charger. The in-use light flashes continually even when not in use.

Hmm ... interesting.

May I ask IF there was a DSL filter installed with any PREVIOUS phone connected to the Comcast service and if so, is that filter still in place?

OR

If a filter was NOT in place, do you have one that can be inserted between the connection to the phone jack and the phone cord that goes to the main base unit if the Vtech system?

Please let me know.

Thanks, ***** *****

(im)

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I don't have a DSL filter and would have to purchase one.

Hi again,

Can you tell me IF there was a previous phone connected, and if so, was that previous phone connected to the same EXACT phone jack - where the Vtech base unit is now connected?

Also, if the Comcast "self install" kit, do you remember any such filters being included in the kit? I only ask because SOME kits used to include a filter in the package.

One more thing: Can you disconnect the phone cord now - for a few minutes - and then reconnect it to stop the flashing light again? This is a TEST to see if we can duplicate the symptoms.

Thanks

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The new phone is connected to the same site as the previous phone which actually was an AT&T product; however, I used the new phone line and power jack that came with the Vtech phone. I haven't had a Comcast "self install" kit. I will need to get back to you about the disconnect since I am out of town covering an family emergency health issue.

OK - thanks for letting me know you are not near the system right now.

Also, if the OLD phone is available when you return, it would also be a good TEST to reconnect that old phone and TEST to try and duplicate the same symptoms as the current phone connected.

That MAY tell us if this is a PHONE issue or a SERVICE issue.

I will look for your results later on, and I understand about health issues, so take whatever time is needed before getting back to me. I'm here almost every day to help.

Take Good Care, Greg A.

(im)

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you

You're quite welcome.

Try to have a restful night and let me know what can be tried - sometime later on (tomorrow or after).

Greg A.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I will have someone try the disconnect and reconnect, then the replacement of the old phone perhaps tomorrow.

Take whatever time is needed - I should be here once all that is done.

Thanks, ***** *****

Hi again,

I see it has been a while and I haven't seen a response on this page, so I just wanted to follow up to see if you have any more questions concerning this issue OR if the issue was resolved?

I look forward to any further questions or results that you may have.

Thanks, ***** *****
--. .-
(im)

Greg A.
Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer