Phone Systems

Ask a Phone Systems Question, Get an Answer ASAP!

Phone Systems

I pushed the wrong button when VM Acess was on the screen…

Customer Question
I pushed the wrong...

I pushed the wrong button when VM Acess was on the screen and now that particular phone won't let me use SP Phone or have sound when I dial a number.

Technician's Assistant: When were you last able to use your phone?

I can stilll use this phone but it doesn't allow those features previously mentioned

Technician's Assistant: Have you tried a Factory Reset? The Smartphone Expert can walk you through this to ensure you don't lose your photos, contacts and other data.

This is my landline phone. I have two of them in the house but only the one I pushed the wrong message button on doesn't work correctly.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Smartphone Expert to know before I connect you?

No! I hope to resolve the problem and get the phone back to operating correctly and hope not to do it again.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Phone Systems
1/7/2018
Electronics Technician: Greg A., Engineer replied 1 month ago
Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer

Hello & Welcome to Just Answer,
I'm Greg and will do my best to assist with troubleshooting this issue today.
Sorry I didn't see your question earlier and to hear of any issue with your phone(s).
If you still need help with this issue, may I ask:
1) The FULL Make & Model Number of the phone system you are working with? If this is a cordless system, that model should be printed on a sticker on the bottom or back of the MAIN base station.
2) Is the "other working phone" part of the same system?

Please REPLY using the box below and the SEND button.
*** IMPORTANT NOTE: *** ANY requests for "additional services" (such as a phone call) are OPTIONAL and sent BY THE SITE AUTOMATICALLY (and not me), and I am NOT available by phone at the moment.
Please DECLINE (close) any such offers, and continue in this text/chat form.
Thanks

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
MAKE; Panasonic, MODEL; KX-TGD2222N, yes this is a cordless phone system and yes the other phone still works OK. I didn't push any WRONG buttons on that phone. Hope you can help straighten this mess out.

Hi again and thanks for that information.

I believe there are one too many 2's in the model sent, but that's OK - I can work with that.

What I would recommend as a FIRST troubleshooting step is to RESET the non-working handset. That RESET is done by removing the batteries - leaving them out for AT LEAST FIVE MINUTES - and then putting the batteries back in and placing the handset on the MAIN BASE for a few minutes and OBSERVE if the display shows "Charging", and then to Time & Date.

IF that does happen, pick up the handset and press the SPEAKER button - to check IF the dial tone can be heard and a call can be placed.

Please give that a try and let me know what happens, as we may need to take other steps to get this handset working again.

Thanks, ***** *****

(im)

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I tried what you suggested, first taking the batteries out of the headset for 5 minutes, which didn't change anything. Then I tried taking the batteries out for 30 minutes, and when I put them back in and pushed the speaker button the headset open for a split second then went back to no work. I then unplugged the base station completely and removed thee batteries from the headset and we had company for the next 2 1/2 hours. When I finally plugged everything back in and reset time and date the headset didn't work any better than when we first started. I'm going off line for the night, so I'll see you in the morning and see if we can do any better.

Hi again,

There were THREE batteries in ONE of the handsets???

I don't know of ANY Panasonic cordless handsets that have THREE batteries - at least not any models made in the last 10 years.

Perhaps you were removing the batteries from a DIFFERENT unit?

Also, I see that you did NOT mention when the batteries in the non-working handset were reinstalled IF you placed the handset back in the charger and OBSERVE what was displayed - and report that back to me.

One NEW question: When you say

"pushed the speaker button the headset open for a split second then went back to no work."

Does that mean that the screen goes BLANK, or does something else happen?

IF the screen is going BLANK, that may mean that the batteries themselves are "getting worn out" - and it would be recommended that they be replaced with new rechargeable batteries.

And if the batteries have NOT been replaced in the last 1-2 years, I would recommend that ALL the batteries be replaced - in ALL handsets.

IF the model of the system is KX-TGD222, then the Panasonic part number for the batteries is HHR-4DPA. You MAY be able to find the batteries locally, but if you need a reference, I have a link (to Amazon) where you can get these batteries at a relatively low cost - especially if purchased as a "multi-pack".

HHR-4DPA Search Results
http://amzn.to/1H2x81e
NOTE:
These are Rechargeable Nickel Metal Hydride (Ni-MH) batteries

Please let me know about these other details - when you can.

Thanks, ***** *****

P.S. I usually get online during weekdays starting at about 9AM Pacific time (12PM Eastern time). Please keep that in mind if you do not see a response from me around that time.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I don't remember saying there were 3 batteries, there are only 2 batteries in each handset. I did as you requested and when the handset was replaced on the base unit the screen said charging. When I said the screen went back to no work I meant it went back to what it has been doing before, that was that the phone will operate like a phone but the speaker button doesn't operate correctly. The phones aren't that old so I tried changing batteries around from headset 1 to headset 2 and no matter what combination I tried I got the same results. Headset 1 works perfect when you push speaker but headset 2 won't go to speaker when pushed. Headset 2 is the one that I pushed the VM prompt and I mentioned in my original message.

Sorry about that. I saw the "removed thee batteries" and my brain interpreted the "thee" as THREE.

Back to the issue.

How OLD is this system and have the batteries EVER been replaced with new rechargeable batteries - in ANY of the handset?

I only ask because the SPEAKER functions (ringer, speakerphone, etc.) need the most amount of power from the batteries, and the speaker not working is really the FIRST indicator that the batteries are wearing out.

Please let me know.

Thanks

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The phones are only about 2 -2 1/2 years old BUT as mentioned in last message when I switched batteries from one unit to the other, unit 1 worked correctly all the time and unit 2 still had no speaker.

Hi again,

"Switching" the batteries from one handset to another MAY NOT correct an issue like this. "Technically speaking" - That is because EACH handset has its own "power use characteristics" and weak batteries that working in one handset will not necessarily work in a different handset.

NOTE: I have seen this MANY times, and replacing the batteries with NEW - fully recharged batteries will often "fix" this type of issue.

I personally replace ALL the batteries at about the 2 year mark, as that seems to be about the time they START to wear out.

Please let me know if you can get a NEW set of batteries to TRY, and the results AFTER they are installed and allowed to charge for a few hours.

Thanks, ***** *****

(im)

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I guess we'll live with the problem until we get new batteries. We live 80 miles from any major city with good stores. We're out in the middle of Montana in the grass land area with large farms. I guess the cost to NOT resolve my issue is on hold until we try new batteries, will try to get back to you with results latter. May be a month or so. Thanks.

Hi again,

Do you have ANY other devices - such as cameras or other "toys" - that use the same type batteries (rechargeable "AAA" Ni-MH")? The batteries do NOT have to be Panasonic branded - just the correct TYPE.

OR - do you get "deliveries" on a timely basis, as the batteries can be ordered online and MAY be delivered within a few days.

Thanks

Hi again,

I see it has been a while and I haven't seen a response on this page, so I just wanted to follow up to see if you have any more questions concerning this issue OR if the issue was resolved?

I look forward to any further questions or results that you may have.

Thanks, ***** *****
--. .-
(im)

Greg A.
Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer