Phone Systems

Ask a Phone Systems Question, Get an Answer ASAP!

We have a panasonic telephone with 5 handsets. The base of…

Customer Question
Hello, we have a...

Hello, we have a panasonic telephone with 5 handsets. The base of the telepone no longer displays anything. It went blank about 3 days ago. The telephones work ok

Technician's Assistant: When did you last charge your Panasonic phone?

We purchased this phone a year ago last August, It was 2016

Technician's Assistant: Have you tried a force reboot (pressing and holding the Power button)?

Not sure where power button is on the base......

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Phone Systems
1/5/2018
Electronics Technician: Greg A., Engineer replied 7 months ago
Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer

Hello & Welcome to Just Answer,
I'm Greg and will do my best to assist with this issue today.
Sorry I didn't see your question earlier and to hear of any issue with your phone(s).
To help you with this issue, may I ask:
1) The FULL Model Number of the phone system you are working with? If this is a cordless system, that model should be printed on a sticker on the bottom or back of the MAIN base station (model should begin with KX-TG).
2) Were there any power or weather events - about the time this issue was first noticed?
Please REPLY using the box below and the SEND button.
*** IMPORTANT NOTE: *** ANY requests for "additional services" (such as a phone call) are OPTIONAL and sent BY THE SITE AUTOMATICALLY (and not me), and I am NOT available by phone at the moment.
Please DECLINE (close) any such offers, and continue in this text/chat form.
Thanks

There are two model numbers? Large sticker on bottom of base says Panasonic, the model number is ***** and the smaller sticker number is ***** No power events that I know of. It just happened less than a week ago. The phones work with proper display of time and caller ID. I disconnected power and then connected it again. Can receive verbal information from calls left in voice mail. Only problem is blank display.
Greg are you there?

Hi again,

Sorry for any delay.

Can you take the handset off the MAIN BASE, and then push the SPEAKERPHONE button - on the main base - and let me know if you hear the dial tone - and can make a call from the base keypad?

Thanks

I have a dial tone and can dial out. I did and spoke to my daughter.

OK - very good.

Now if you can, leave the handset out of the main base, and then disconnect the AC power adapter for the main base from the AC outlet - and leave it disconnected for AT LEAST 1 full minute.

During that disconnect time, the handsets SHOULD display something like "base no power" - please check for that.

Then after the 1 minute delay, reconnect the AC power adapter and WATCH the main base - to see if ANY indicators light up, and if the display appears.

Thanks

Hi Greg, I did disconnect power from base after removing the handset. Left it for 1 minute and read base no power. I reconnected the power. Heard a beep. Still blank display on base.

Did ANY of the other indicators come on - on the base?

And does the SPEAKERPHONE indicator come on - when pressing that button?

The red light showing base has power returned and the speakerphone does make sound. The light is off on the display and returns if I press the speakerphone button.
I can also hear any messages left in voice mail.

OK - are the messages actually in the internal "Answering system" - of the Panasonic (vs. provider "voicemail")?

the messages are in the Panasonic answering system. I do not use any other answering system

OK - very good.

Based on the symptoms, it sounds like the base DISPLAY has failed.

And since the system is more than 1 year old (out of warranty), I would recommend that the main base unit be replaced.

But before giving a reference, may I ask WHERE this system was purchased?

I only ask because SOME places offer or provide an "extended warranty" or return period on systems such as this.

Thanks

This telephone system was purchased at BJ's Wearhouse in Dedham, Massachusetts. How much is a new main base.

OK - you MAY want to check with BJ's OR the receipt - if you still have it - to see if any extended warranty is in place.

As for a replacement base, I did a search online (at Amazon) and found a base (and 1 handset) for just over $50. I have a link below that should show that listing

Click Here for Search Results --> http://amzn.to/2CvngOA

NOTE: I do see that system is "Certified Refurbished" - explaining the lower price.

Also, the current handsets will have to be "moved" to the new base, by de-registering from the old and registering to the new base. I can walk you through that process - if needed.

Thanks, ***** *****

I don't think I will buy another Panasonic telephone system or replacement. This is a flawed product. It should not fail after 15 or 16 months. I am a dissatisfied customer. Thank you for your help. It was obvious that the display failed for some reason