Phone Systems

Ask a Phone Systems Question, Get an Answer ASAP!

Phone Systems

We have a panasonic telephone with 5 handsets. The base of…

Customer Question
Hello, we have a...

Hello, we have a panasonic telephone with 5 handsets. The base of the telepone no longer displays anything. It went blank about 3 days ago. The telephones work ok

Technician's Assistant: When did you last charge your Panasonic phone?

We purchased this phone a year ago last August, It was 2016

Technician's Assistant: Have you tried a force reboot (pressing and holding the Power button)?

Not sure where power button is on the base......

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Phone Systems
1/5/2018
Electronics Technician: Greg A., Engineer replied 1 month ago
Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer

Hello & Welcome to Just Answer,
I'm Greg and will do my best to assist with this issue today.
Sorry I didn't see your question earlier and to hear of any issue with your phone(s).
To help you with this issue, may I ask:
1) The FULL Model Number of the phone system you are working with? If this is a cordless system, that model should be printed on a sticker on the bottom or back of the MAIN base station (model should begin with KX-TG).
2) Were there any power or weather events - about the time this issue was first noticed?
Please REPLY using the box below and the SEND button.
*** IMPORTANT NOTE: *** ANY requests for "additional services" (such as a phone call) are OPTIONAL and sent BY THE SITE AUTOMATICALLY (and not me), and I am NOT available by phone at the moment.
Please DECLINE (close) any such offers, and continue in this text/chat form.
Thanks

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
There are two model numbers? Large sticker on bottom of base says Panasonic, the model number is ***** and the smaller sticker number is ***** No power events that I know of. It just happened less than a week ago. The phones work with proper display of time and caller ID. I disconnected power and then connected it again. Can receive verbal information from calls left in voice mail. Only problem is blank display.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Greg are you there?

Hi again,

Sorry for any delay.

Can you take the handset off the MAIN BASE, and then push the SPEAKERPHONE button - on the main base - and let me know if you hear the dial tone - and can make a call from the base keypad?

Thanks

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have a dial tone and can dial out. I did and spoke to my daughter.

OK - very good.

Now if you can, leave the handset out of the main base, and then disconnect the AC power adapter for the main base from the AC outlet - and leave it disconnected for AT LEAST 1 full minute.

During that disconnect time, the handsets SHOULD display something like "base no power" - please check for that.

Then after the 1 minute delay, reconnect the AC power adapter and WATCH the main base - to see if ANY indicators light up, and if the display appears.

Thanks

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi Greg, I did disconnect power from base after removing the handset. Left it for 1 minute and read base no power. I reconnected the power. Heard a beep. Still blank display on base.

Did ANY of the other indicators come on - on the base?

And does the SPEAKERPHONE indicator come on - when pressing that button?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The red light showing base has power returned and the speakerphone does make sound. The light is off on the display and returns if I press the speakerphone button.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I can also hear any messages left in voice mail.

OK - are the messages actually in the internal "Answering system" - of the Panasonic (vs. provider "voicemail")?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
the messages are in the Panasonic answering system. I do not use any other answering system

OK - very good.

Based on the symptoms, it sounds like the base DISPLAY has failed.

And since the system is more than 1 year old (out of warranty), I would recommend that the main base unit be replaced.

But before giving a reference, may I ask WHERE this system was purchased?

I only ask because SOME places offer or provide an "extended warranty" or return period on systems such as this.

Thanks

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
This telephone system was purchased at BJ's Wearhouse in Dedham, Massachusetts. How much is a new main base.

OK - you MAY want to check with BJ's OR the receipt - if you still have it - to see if any extended warranty is in place.

As for a replacement base, I did a search online (at Amazon) and found a base (and 1 handset) for just over $50. I have a link below that should show that listing

Click Here for Search Results --> http://amzn.to/2CvngOA

NOTE: I do see that system is "Certified Refurbished" - explaining the lower price.

Also, the current handsets will have to be "moved" to the new base, by de-registering from the old and registering to the new base. I can walk you through that process - if needed.

Thanks, ***** *****

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I don't think I will buy another Panasonic telephone system or replacement. This is a flawed product. It should not fail after 15 or 16 months. I am a dissatisfied customer. Thank you for your help. It was obvious that the display failed for some reason
Greg A.
Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer