Phone Systems

Ask a Phone Systems Question, Get an Answer ASAP!

Phone Systems

We have a panasonic bluetooth phone model KX-TG7641.

Customer Question
We have a panasonic...

We have a panasonic bluetooth phone model KX-TG7641. Recently the caller ID stopped working. I think I have the settings correct. What could be wrong with it?

Technician's Assistant: What Panasonic model do you have?

KX-TG7641

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your Panasonic phone? What have you tried so far?

It stopped on Dec 22. I went through the settings and made sure CID was on

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Phone Expert to know before I connect you?

Everything else works just fine

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Phone Systems
1/2/2018
Electronics Technician: Greg A., Engineer replied 1 month ago
Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer

Hello & Welcome to Just Answer,

I'm Greg and will do my best to assist with this issue today.

Sorry to hear of any issue with your phones.

To help you with this issue, may I ask:

1) Does this system still function properly for ALL other functions (making/receiving calls, answering system, etc.)?

2) How many TOTAL cordless handsets do you have with this system, and if more than one, do ALL handsets have this issue?

3) What landline phone service provider (phone company) you have for this phone line?

4) Do you have ANY other "Caller ID" phones (NOT part of the Panasonic system) attached to this same phone line and if so, are they working properly?

Please REPLY using the box below and the SEND button.
*** IMPORTANT NOTE: *** ANY requests for "additional services" (such as a phone call) are OPTIONAL and sent BY THE SITE AUTOMATICALLY (and not me), and I am NOT available by phone at the moment.
Please DECLINE (close) any such offers, and continue in this text/chat form.

Thanks

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
all other functions still work properly
there are 4 cordless handsets, all have this issue
Centurylink is our provider
no other caller id phones

OK - may I ask if there have been ANY CHANGES to the Centurylink services recently - about the same time this issue was noticed?

OR - have there been ANY other issues with the Centurylink services - such as noise on the line or other services (internet) not performing well?

Thanks

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
we upgraded our DSL from 10 gbs to 25 gbs in December around the same time. no other issues with centurylink services
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
i never unplugged the base when I was troubleshooting

Hmm ... interesting.

I asked about CHANGES because MOST "Caller ID" issues can be traced back to a "signal quality" issue - and typically is traced back to the service provider's signal or equipment.

So let me ask a different question: Is there a DSL filter connected between the main base unit and the phone jack where the phone cord connects to the service?

AND did you get a NEW/DIFFERENT "main box" from Centurylink OR any new hardware - when this bit rate changed?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
there is a filter between main base unit and phone jack where the phone cord connects to service. it has been there since we got dsl several years ago
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
not sure about new equipment. i will go outside and see if i can tell. i was told they just had to make an adjustment but the technician left and came back so I am not sure what he did

OK - do you have access to a DIFFERENT Caller ID phone - perhaps stored away or even borrow one from a neighbor - so that we can TEST with a different phone?

The idea is to TEST if this is a SERVICE issue or an "instrument" issue (with the phone).

A similar TEST would be to take the MAIN BASE and one handset to a neighbor's location - with WORKING Caller ID - and test the Caller ID function there.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
no new equipment that I can see. no easy access to another caller id phone. would have to ask around. i could take my equipment to another location later but not right now.

OK - either of those test methods would be good.

But for now, can you REMOVE the DSL filter from the phone cord of the base unit, and then TEST that calls can still be made (or not), or if there is some "noise" on the line when the filter is removed?

If you can still make outgoing calls, have someone call and let the line ring AT LEAST TWICE - and see if the Caller ID appears (or not).

Thanks

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
will remove filter but it will take a bit as it is blocked by the entertainment center

Take as much time as you need, but let me know what you hear and see - when that is removed.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
no go moving the entertainment center. i need help which won't be available until this evening

OK - is there a MAIN BOX from the provider - inside the home - where a phone cord COULD be connected?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Until then I can test the phone at another location. how do i get back to you?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
no main box that I know of
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
just jacks in various rooms
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
i could call centurylink and see what they say
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
i will do that if the caller id function works in another location
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
until then I think we are at an empass

To get back to me, just save a bookmark/favorite to this page, and then use that bookmark to return here.

And you MAY be able to try other jacks in the other rooms - IF they are active.

And YES, you could contact Centurylink support - as another resource. I have a link to their main "contact" page below.

http://www.centurylink.com/help/contact/

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
i will get back to you when I have more info. thanks

You're quite welcome.

I'm here most of the day - on and off - so let me know when you can.

Thanks, ***** *****

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I called CenturyLink. Apparently they inadvertently removed my caller id. They are working on it

Hi again,

That's interesting - as many service providers will ADD a particular feature and increase their fees - instead of taking a feature away.

Please let me know what happens or if you have any more questions.
If this has helped answer your question(s), please take a moment to rate MY service level (5-star is my goal) so that I get credit for my time helping you with this question.
You should see some "stars" (and SUBMIT button) to do that, but please let me know if you do NOT see them (you may have to REFRESH your screen) or can not use them.

Thanks, ***** *****
--. .-
(im)

Greg A.
Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer