Phone Systems

Ask a Phone Systems Question, Get an Answer ASAP!

We have your cordless phone system of a sudden the phone is…

Customer Question
We have your cordless...

We have your cordless phone system of a sudden the phone is mute how can I get working and undo the mute setting?

Technician's Assistant: When did this sound problem start with your system?

A couple of hours ago

Technician's Assistant: Does it happen on all the handsets?

Yes

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Phone Systems
11/25/2017
Electronics Technician: Greg A., Engineer replied 7 months ago
Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer

Hello & Welcome to Just Answer,

I'm Greg and will do my best to assist with this issue today.

Sorry to hear of any issue with your phones.

To help you with this issue, may I ask:

1) The FULL Model Number of the phone system you are working with? If this is a cordless system, that model should be printed on a sticker on the bottom or back of the MAIN base station (not a cordless handset).

2) What are the symptoms of the mute being on (can't hear the other party, other party can't hear you, etc.)?

3) What landline phone service provider (phone company) you have for this phone line?

4) Do you have ANY other devices/phones (NOT part of the cordless system) attached to this same phone line and if so, are they working properly?

Please REPLY using the box below and the SEND button.
*** IMPORTANT NOTE: *** ANY requests for "additional services" (such as a phone call) are OPTIONAL and sent BY THE SITE AUTOMATICALLY (and not me), and I am NOT available by phone at the moment.
Please DECLINE (close) any such offers, and continue in this text/chat form.

Thanks

KXTGE440 Other party can't me. Spectrum No other devices/phones

OK - can you do a quick TEST for me?

That test is to place a call and then touch the MUTE button on the handset, and let me know if the MUTE text starts to FLASH?

And does the flashing stop - when pushing the button again?

Also, does this happen for ALL CALLS - both IN and OUT?

Hi again,

I just saw your call request, but unfortunately I'm not near a phone right now to be able to call. However another expert may respond to your call request before I can reach a phone.

We can also continue here in this chat/text form.

Please let me know if that will work for you.

Thanks

Please advice me in writing here. Do not call me

Let me send my last post again:

=======================

OK - can you do a quick TEST for me?

Thanks

Thu mute is flashing for all calls in and out

OK - did you do the TEST I mentioned?

That is, does the MUTE FLASH when the button is pushed the first time, and then STOP flashing when the button is pushed the second time?

OK - very good. It sounds like the phone system is behaving properly, so we must look for another issue.

May I ask if there is a MAIN BOX - often called a "modem" - from the SERVICE PROVIDER in your location?

Are you still there

Yes - I'm still here and JUST saw your response.

Please make sure you click the SEND button on your end.

OK - does that MAIN BOX have several lights on the front, one of which is labeled "PHONE" or "TEL 1"?

And if so, what is that light doing (on, flashing, etc.)?

Link is flashing
Tel 1 and Tel 2 are not lit
Now Tel 1 is lit

Hmm ... that's interesting.

Do you have a "bundle" of services from the provider - such as internet, TV, and phone services?

AND if so, are there several cables/cords in the BACK of the MAIN BOX, including a phone cord?

Thanks

there are several cords for TV internet etc
there is also a phone cord

OK - very good.

I think it is time to RESET that MAIN BOX (modem) - so it will reload and reboot all of your services (internet, phone, etc.).

To do that reset, simply find the POWER PLUG in the back of that modem, and disconnect it.
NOTE: If there is a "backup battery" attached to OR inside the modem, that will need to be disconnected too.
Leave ALL power disconnected for AT LEAST TWO MINUTES, AND check that ALL the lights are out on the front of the modem.
Then, after the TWO MINUTES, reconnect the power plug (and backup battery if needed), and watch the lights on the front of the modem for a minute or so, as the device restarts.
When the lights "stabilize", then you should be able to TEST the phone lines again and see if calls can now be MADE going OUT, and received coming IN - WITHOUT the MUTE being active.

NOTE: If you just leave your computer on the screen it is currently on and REFRESH the screen AFTER the reset, it should remain on the current screen and reconnect you to this page.

Please give that a try and let me know your results.

Thanks, ***** *****

Phone call session started