Phone Systems

Ask a Phone Systems Question, Get an Answer ASAP!

I own a 3 phone Panasonic with answering machine. I have…

I own a 3...

I own a 3 phone Panasonic with answering machine. I have recently moved and have discovered that the phones ring, but the answering machine is not picking up and recording any messages. When I check the machine at the end of the day, I see that I have missed called on the phone, but the answering machine does not indicate there were any messages. I have even called and tried to leave a message with my cell phone. It sounds like it is recording, but when I hang up, I do not see an indicator light on the machine telling me a message was recorded. I've unplugged the machine, the wall plug and the modem, but no luck. My model is KXTG7731 or KXTG2545K. I have 2 numbers on the bottom of the machine.

Technician's Assistant: Just to clarify, what's the exact make and model of your machine?

Like the serial #?

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?

I moved to this new home in June of this year. I wondered why no one left me messages all summer. Then friends told me they left me messages, but when I checked their was nothing to retrieve on the machine. I've hit the On/Off button. The voice says machine off, machine on, the correct date and time, but no messages.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Electronics Expert to know before I connect you?

Is the model 6.0Plus?

11/22/2017
Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer

Hello & Welcome to Just Answer,

I'm Greg and will do my best to assist with this issue today.

Sorry I didn't see your question earlier and to hear of any issue with your phones.

To help you with this issue, may I ask:

1) What landline phone service provider (phone company) you have for this phone line?

2) How many rings were heard BEFORE the message system picked up the call - when calling from the cell phone?

3) Can you do a quick TEST for me? That TEST is to pick up any handset - while NOT on a call - press the TALK (or SP-PHONE) button, and QUICKLY LISTEN for a dial tone. Please let me know if you hear ANYTHING BEFORE the STEADY dial tone - such as a few beeps or pulsed dial tones.

Please REPLY using the box below and the SEND button.
*** IMPORTANT NOTE: *** ANY requests for "additional services" (such as a phone call) are OPTIONAL and sent BY THE SITE AUTOMATICALLY (and not me), and I am NOT available by phone at the moment.
Please DECLINE (close) any such offers, and continue in this text/chat form.

Thanks

1 Medicom
#2 I just tried it again and it rang 4 times, then I got the recorded voice telling me to leave a message. I did, and my answering machine shows nothing in the indicator that I just called it.
#3 Just did the test. No beeps or pulsed dial tones. Just a nice steady dial tone.

OK - may I ask:

- Do you have ANY other devices/phones (NOT part of the Panasonic system) attached to this same phone line?

No

OK - can you tell me about the "recorded voice telling me to leave a message"?

For instance, does it sound like a computer generated voice, and mention any specifics - like you current phone number?

Thanks

it is a computer generated voice, not mine and it gives my phone number. I tried setting up a new message on the phone this week. It did record my message, but it does not play my message, only the computer one.
The computer voice does identify my name correctly.
Since the phones all work, I can call out and receive a call if I'm home, the problem is that the answering machine does not record any incoming calls. My indicator light is always on 0.

OK - from those symptoms - especially when it announces your phone number - it sound like the "Voicemail system" of the service provider is taking the call(s) and recording the messages.

NOTE: This is a DIFFERENT and SEPARATE system from the "Answering system" that is built into the Panasonic main base station.

So what I would recommend is contacting the provider and having their voicemail system configured the way YOU want it to behave - even if that means turning it OFF.

BUT, before doing that, I highly recommend getting the instructions on how to ACCESS the voicemail system, so you can listen to ANY "important" messages that may be stored there.

As a starting point, I have a link to the Mediacom "help page" concerning their Voicemail system.

Click Here --> https://mediacomcc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/370

On that specific page, I recommend STARING at the area where it is titled "First time passcode set-up".

I hope this all makes sense. Please let me know what you find or if you have any more questions about this Voicemail system vs. the Answering system.

Thanks, ***** *****

Ok, thank you. I will try it now. So was I charged $5 for this service?

You're quite welcome.

We experts are "users" of this site - just like you - and have no access to ANY of your private information or account - including any charges.

But we experts work on the "honor system" in providing advise and support.

If this advice/support has helped answer your question(s), please take a moment to rate MY service level (5-star is my goal) so that I get credit for my time helping you with this question.
You should see some "stars" (and SUBMIT button) to do that, but please let me know if you do NOT see them (you may have to REFRESH your screen) or can not use them.

Thanks, ***** *****
--. .-

Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Greg A.
Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer