Phone Systems

Ask a Phone Systems Question, Get an Answer ASAP!

Panaasaonic cordless telephone with 5 portable units. I

Panaasaonic cordless telephone with...

Panaasaonic cordless telephone with 5 portable units. I cannot 3 of the telephones to ring and I am not able to turn silence mode off.

Technician's Assistant: How old is the phone?

About 3-4 months

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?

At first it was only one unit. Now it is three of the portable units. Silencer mode can not be turned off

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Electronics Expert to know before I connect you?

No, I hope that's enough

11/21/2017
Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer

Hello & Welcome to Just Answer,

I'm Greg and will do my best to assist with this issue today.

Sorry to hear of any issue with your phones.

To help you with this issue, may I ask:

1) The FULL Model Number of the phone system you are working with? Since this is a cordless system, that model should be printed on a sticker on the bottom or back of the MAIN base station (model should start with KX-TG).

2) If you look at the DISPLAY of any of the non-ringing handsets, do you notice ANY icons showing - that are NOT on the ringing handsets?

Please REPLY using the box below and the SEND button.
*** IMPORTANT NOTE: *** ANY requests for "additional services" (such as a phone call) are OPTIONAL and sent BY THE SITE AUTOMATICALLY (and not me), and I am NOT available by phone at the moment.
Please DECLINE (close) any such offers, and continue in this text/chat form.

Thanks

Model is KXTG575s . The non working units show a bell icon with a slash through it. This suggests to me that ringer not working and I cannot turn silent ofe

Hi again,

Can you please double-check that model - and make sure there is NOT a missing letter or number?

I only ask because I am not finding that exact model.

Thanks

Hi again,

I JUST saw your phone call request, and will try to call you very soon.

Thanks

Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Phone call session started

Thanks for the call Arthur.

Here is the FULL system reset procedure.

Cordless system "reset" procedure.

This is done by following the steps below.
============================
1) Remove the batteries from ALL handsets in the system.
2) Remove the phone cord from the main base unit AND the phone jack in the wall.
3) Remove the AC power adapter plug from the main base unit AND remove the AC adapter from the power outlet.
4) WAIT 15 minutes. This allows any "stuck" conditions in the components to clear.
5) Reconnect the batteries in all handsets.
6) Reconnect the phone cord between the main base and the phone jack in the wall.
7) Reconnect the AC power adapter plug in the main base unit and then plug the AC adapter into the wall power outlet.
8) Wait 30-60 seconds for the system to reinitialize.
9) Test each handset for proper function.
10) Test each function of the main base unit (answering system, caller id, etc.).
============================

Please give these things a try and let me know what you find or if you have more questions.

Thanks, ***** *****

Greg, I removed the batteries from one handset, waited about 5 minutes, pressed a bunch of control buttons, waited another 5 minutes, replaced batteries and re-tried the system. No change. Bell icon still shows slash and system volume is still at 5 units on. What now? It will take me a while to unplug everything and remove all the batteries for a complete reboot of the whole system . Is that what I should do?Arthur

Hi again Arthur,

Did you TRY the Ringer Volume programming again - using the # 1 6 0 code on that one handset? If not, please try that again and let me know if the bell w/slash goes away.

If that does NOT work still, then

Yes, the FULL system reset is the next step.

Please take your time and try the follow the procedure sent (above).

Thanks, ***** *****

Greg
What is the AC power adapter on the main unit and the AC power adapter at the power outlet?
Arthur

Hi again,

The AC power adapter it the "power supply" - sometimes called a "Wall Wart". It is basically the "small box" that plugs into an AC outlet in the wall or power strip.

Greg
I have carefully completed the reboot of the system; unplugging everything, removing batteries and unplugging telephone line. What now. The bell with the slash is still on the screen. What's next?
Arthur

Hi again Arthur,

Did you TRY the Ringer Volume programming again - using the # 1 6 0 code on one of the handsets?

If not, please try that again and let me know if the bell w/slash goes away.

I have lost your web page. Follow you only thru this page. The volume still shows maximum but no change in bell -slash.
Arthur

OK - please do a TEST for me and let me know what you see on the handset display.

The TEST is to DISCONNECT THE PHONE CORD from the MAIN BASE - and leave it disconnected.

Then pick up both a ringing handset and a non-ringing handset (one with the bell w/line through it), and let me know what you see.

EXPECTED results: a message that says something like "Check tel line".

Let me know exactly what you see - on BOTH handsets.

Thanks

Both the ringing (no slash) and the non-ringing telephones say “check telephone line.”
Arthur

Hi again Arthur,

Sorry for any delay - getting "busy" around here - pre-Thanksgiving stuff.

Since we could not change the ringer volume to get rid of the bell, may I ask if there have been any "storms" or "power issues" - about the same times this started to occur?

I only ask because power glitches or surges can often cause damage to the internal circuits of handsets - making them behave this way.

Thanks.

Grag,
no big storms. No power outages that I can recall.
There are now 2 units that have no ringer.
Arthur

OK - didn't we start this with THREE units not ringing?

Meaning that now one of the handsets DOES ring, that didn't ring before?

No. My mistake. It is three. I had shofted their locations and I mixed the units. '
Arthur

OK - I have another thing we can try - which is to "de-register" one of the non-ringing handsets from the base, and then register it back.

And of course we will want to CHECK of the bell w/line goes away - at any point of the process.

Would you like to try that, and if so, can you tell me the handset NUMBER of one of the non-ringing handsets?

The NUMBER should be right next to the BATTERY symbol - at the upper right of the display.

Thanks

Unit # 3 has no ringer. Try that one.

Would you like me to call you for this, or do you think you can handle it on your own?

The process for a handset to de-register itself is as follows;

NOTE: the system should NOT be in use during this process.

1) Pick up handset (#3 in this case) and press MENU #131 (hash-one-three-one). A list of ALL handsets should appear on the screen.

2) Press UP/DOWN to highlight handset to de-register (#3 in this case). Press SELECT soft key.

3) Press UP/DOWN to highlight "Yes". Press SELECT soft key, then press OFF button.

Let me know if you can do that AND what appears on THAT handset after completing the process.

Thanks

It looks fairly simple. I'' try it.
a

OK - let me know the results AND if the bell still appears AFTER the de-register.

I think I did it correctly but now the screen reads"Press locator on base 5 seconds put on charger.
A

OK - that is what is expected - so that's GOOD.

What about the BELL? Is that still showing?

There is no space on the screen/ This text takess althe space.

OK - that's fine.

Now let's try the REGISTER step. Here is the process (even easier).

1) On that handset, press MENU, then #130.

2) On the MAIN BASE - press and HOLD the LOCATOR button (just left of the number 7 key) for about FIVE seconds.

NOTE: if ALL handsets start to ring, press LOCATOR again to stop the ringing, then repeat this step.

3) On the HANDSET, press the OK soft key, then WAIT for a LONG BEEP sound. That handset should say "registered", and then return to a "normal" display.

I honk I may have made an error in processing the deregister and I am not getting proper responses on the registration. Shall I try deregister again?

What are the responses seen or heard?

I did realize that locator is on base unit. It now “press locator on base 5 sec put on charger.” Should I do that?
Should I repeat the deregister?

You should be able to leave the handset OFF the charger.

But yes, please press and HOLD the LOCATOR button - on the MAIN BASE for about FIVE seconds, and see what happens on the handset display.

IF you see the OK on the handset display, push the soft key below that word, and wait for the long beep.

If you can, take a look at the following video - that shows HOW the registration process SHOULD work. Note: the video mentions a different model handset, but the process SHOULD be the SAME.

Click here for Video --> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRU2Q6vr3vs

Let me know if that helps and works the same with your system and handset.

The screen on unit #3still reads unchanged “pres yjmou

OK - that last part got scrambled a bit. I saw

"The screen on unit #3still reads unchanged “pres yjmou"

If needed, please watch that video a time or two, and see what steps need to be done.

Thanks

We are overlapping on messages. Screen on unit 3 “presslocator on base 5sec put on charger. I now have your message suggesting I watch vide .where which one?
I think I ought to deregister it again and start from scratch.
It is 10 pm Eastern time. Are we there yet? Or will this delay into tomorrow? Everything seems garbled on my end. It seems that wehave not deregistered this yet.

Hi again,

Sorry for any delay - I got disconnect for a bit.

If you want to continue tomorrow, we CAN do that.

But if handset #3 is showing "press locator on base 5sec", then it WAS successfully DE-REGISTERED.

Hopefully you found the CLICK HERE for the video, which should have taken you directly to the correct video to watch. BUT there may be some "advertisement" before video starts to play.

I'm on Pacific time and can continue for at least another hour. But can also continue tomorrow - if that suits you better.

Let me know what works best for you - when you can.

Thanks, ***** *****

how can we restart tomorrow? Arthur

Just come back to this page and post a note - to let me know you are ready to go.

When you do that, I will be notified and get back to you as soon as I can.

Just remember that I'm in the Pacific time zone (its almost 9PM now), and if you are an "early riser" in the Eastern time zone, I'm 3 hours behind you :) .

Greg
It is now 9:15 am eastern time. I am ready to restart this enterprise. Call me(###) ###-#### or email me (*****@******.***) or text me when you are ready.
Arthur

Hi again Arthur,

I'm back and just getting started.

Did you get the de-registered handset (#3) registered back to the base again?

Thanks

Good morning
No. I was not able to register the disabled hand sets. When I tried following the video I couldn’t get the beeps. Are you able to disable any of the hand sets? I could try again , perhaps with you walking me thru the responses I do get.
Arthur

OK - let me give you a call and we can go through some details.

Calling soon.

I think we got you all fixed up, as the #3 handset is now registered again AND the ALL handsets should be ringing now.

Let me send you the little bit of NEW information I found for this particular system (see attached image - click link if needed).

Let me know when you get this note.