Phone Systems

Ask a Phone Systems Question, Get an Answer ASAP!

Phone Systems

I have no land line service. The Panasonic answering machine

I have no land line...
I have no land line service. The Panasonic answering machine displays "Check tel line" I have plugged and unplugged everything several times and changed batteries. Nothing works.
JA: How old is the phone?
Customer: About 4 years old.
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Since yesterday.
JA: Anything else you want the Electronics Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not that I can think of.
Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Hello...is there anyone there?
11/19/2017
Nathan, Technician

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

Can you tell me a bit more about the problem please:

1) If you have multiple handsets (within the same system), does this happen with all of them?
2) Are there other phones or even a fax, outside of this system but on the same line? If so are they working properly?
3) Is this a landline from the local phone/cable company, or a VOIP service (vonage/magicjack/etc)?
4) Do you have dsl service on the same line?
5) Full model of the phone(s) (printed on sticker on the main base station, not the handset)

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
1. Yes on all handsets.
2. No phones/fax outside the system.
3. I think all of our systems are through Infinity.
4. What do you mean?
5. KXTG4741

Thank you for the info,

This symptom can indicate either a problem with the line (phone company equipment or the wiring in your home) OR a hardware failure in the base station (since the issue happens with all handsets). We most often see this type of damage to the base unit as the result of a power surge, either through the phone or power lines.

The one thing you may attempt yourself is to fully reset the system:
1) unplug both power and phone lines from the main base.
2) remove batteries from all handsets
3) wait at least 15 minutes, then restore all
4) place a handset on the main base for a minute, as if to charge
5) check for functionality.

Let me know the results

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
None of these worked to restore the land line.

Okay this is most likely a line fault at this point. Go unplug power to your modem for at least 5 minutes

replug, wait 5 more minutes for it to start up, and test again.

If no change, the next step is to test another phone on the line. Dig an old corded/wall phone out of storage, borrow one from a neighbor for a few minutes, buy a cheap one at walmart, etc.

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Unplugging and re-plugging modem didn't change the problem. It will take a while for me to find someone with an old phone to test the line.
Thanks
Customer reply replied 28 days ago
I just plugged in an old phone and it does not get a ring tone. However, when you call our land line a Comcast auto message service comes on to take a message. However our Panasonic answering machine does not engage or ring. What is going on?

This is a comcast problem, all around. The line is not in service, which is why you get no ring tone and why calls are routed directly to their voicemail system.

There is a hardware or routing problem on the comcast end, and other than rebooting the modem there is nothing else to be done on your end. The next step is to call comcast and they will need to actually send a tech out on site to repair their faulty equipment.

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Thanks much. I will call them for a service call. You have been very helpful Nathan.

You're very welcome!

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

Thank you, ***** ***** a nice day,

Nathan, Technician
Nathan, Technician