Phone Systems

Ask a Phone Systems Question, Get an Answer ASAP!

Phone Systems

I have a three handset phone set for my home. When I key in…

Customer Question
I have a three...

I have a three handset phone set for my home. When I key in a phone number I get the typical beeping but the call doesn't go through.

Technician's Assistant: How old is the phone?

Three or four years.

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?

It's been a couple of days.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Electronics Expert to know before I connect you?

I bought a new set just like the one I'm now using but I can't seem to program it, so it's not connected yet.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Phone Systems
11/17/2017
Electronics Technician: Greg A., Engineer replied 3 months ago
Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer

Hello & Welcome to Just Answer,

I'm Greg and will do my best to assist with this issue today.

Sorry I didn't see your question earlier and to hear of any issue with your phones.

To help you with this issue, may I ask:

1) The FULL Model Number of the phone system you are working with? If this is a cordless system, that model should be printed on a sticker on the bottom or back of the MAIN base station.

2) Does the system still RECEIVE CALLS successfully?

3) What landline phone service provider (phone company) you have for this phone line?

Please REPLY using the box below and the SEND button.
*** IMPORTANT NOTE: *** ANY requests for "additional services" (such as a phone call) are OPTIONAL and sent BY THE SITE AUTOMATICALLY (and not me), and I am NOT available by phone at the moment.
Please DECLINE (close) any such offers, and continue in this text/chat form.

Thanks

This is now about the phone system we purchased about a week ago, and I installed today. But now I don't even get a dial tone. Nothing.
Model number: KX-TGE430
Doesn't receive calls.
Charter is our phone service supplier.

Hi again,

Are you saying that a NEW phone system was purchased, connected, and tried, and then has the same or similar symptoms as the OLD system?

IF that is the case, that would tend to point to the service provider's equipment or network as the cause of the issue.

So is there ANY accessible provider equipment - such as a main box - in your location that can be tested or reset (with a long power cycle)?

Thanks

(im)

We also have a two generation Panasonic three handset system with its base in another part of the house that's working fine. I doubt it's a service provider issue.

OK - is the OTHER generation system connected to the SAME phone service (phone number)?

And if so, can the NEW system be connected IN PLACE OF the OLD base unit and TESTED - to see if it works there (at that phone jack)?

Please let me know.

Thanks

I'll do that tomorrow when I'm able to.

OK - very good.

If you can - at the same time - try the OLDER system AT the current location where the NEW system is connected, that would be a more "complete" test.

And if the results are that the NEW system works at the OLD location, and the OLD system does NOT work in the NEW connection location, then you will be looking at a "wiring issue" - with the internal phone wiring within the walls of the home (or wiring at the non-working phone jack).

I will look for your results tomorrow.

Take Care, Greg A.

(im)

OK.

Very good - I will look for your results later on (tomorrow).

Thanks, ***** *****

(im)

I took the working system and connected it to the other phone jack. Didn't work. Need that jack checked out. Would this be a job for an electrician or our phone provider?

Hi again and thanks for that report.

I would suspect that an electrician MAY be able to handle the job, or even a "handyman" that understands phone wiring might be able to handle the job.

NOTE: Generally "phone service providers" are VERY EXPENSIVE when dealing with anything outside of their own equipment - IF they even offer that service at all.

Please let me know if you have any more questions about the phone system(s).

If this has helped answer your question(s), please take a moment to rate MY service level (5-star is my goal) so that I get credit for my time helping you with this question.
You should see some "stars" (and SUBMIT button) to do that, but please let me know if you do NOT see them (you may have to REFRESH your screen) or can not use them.

Thanks, ***** *****
--. .-
(im)

Greg A.
Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer