Phone Systems

Ask a Phone Systems Question, Get an Answer ASAP!

Phone Systems

My answering machine says my mailbox is not set up. It was

My answering machine says my...
My answering machine says my mailbox is not set up. It was fine last week. we were out of town so I turned the answering machine off, but now I have turned it on and the message when calling me doesn't answer.
JA: Just to clarify, what's the exact make and model of your machine?
Customer: model cs6859-4
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: We were out of town Friday so I turned answering machine off. When we returned on Sat. I turned it on. Then friends said my answering machine said it was not set up.
JA: Anything else you want the Phone Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I have gone through the abridged manual and tried unsuccessfully to reset it.
11/15/2017
Louie, Technician

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer, I’m Louie. Sorry you had to wait awhile but I’ll do my best to help.
Initially, which phone company is the service provider for the home / land line phone?
And to avoid asking you to do something you've already tried, can you please tell me what / any and all troubleshooting / specific steps you've already attempted other than / to address the above.

This is an independent site and members of this online community provide information, repair tips, technical assistance as a form of paid Q & A service.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have recorded my announcement and set the number of rings. I have selected answering machine on, but it isn't .
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have not received any information

As posted above; which phone company is the service provider for the home / land line phone?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Century Link is our land line proovider

Appreciate the additional information; CenturyLink.

Consider even if just for test purposes:

• • call again your home number using your cellphone;
  • • do not answer the VTech phone;
  • • remember exactly the message heard when the call is automatically answered;
  • • turn off, disconnect / remove the power and telephone connections of the VTech base / main unit;
  • • expectedly, the VTech phone would/should not ring as it is currently disconnected;
  • • compare the message heard now and the earlier message when the first test call was made;
  • • if the same, then it would not be the answering machine built-in into the disconnected Vtech phone;
  • • it would be CenturyLink's VoiceMail service intercepting your unanswered calls;
  • • call and bring this to the attention of the CenturyLink/phone company;
  • • have them disable / turn off their VoiceMail feature to your home number which may have been inadvertently / accidentally turned on/enabled.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have tried everything you suggested. I called Century Link this morning and told them to disconnect voicemail.
TAkes 24 hours, so tomorrow I will know if that solves the problem,

I understand.

Louie, Technician
Louie, Technician