Phone Systems

Ask a Phone Systems Question, Get an Answer ASAP!

I have a nec 80573 phone that i can't receive or get any…

I have a nec...

I have a nec 80573 phone that i can't receive or get any messages. when someone calls in to leave a message it rings and rings. when i push the voicemail button it also just continues to ring

Technician's Assistant: Just to clarify, what's the exact make and model of your machine?

Dx 7na-12txh

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?

Within the last week. I have read the manual, unplugged and plugged back in. the vm button shows zero, but it doesn't connect right away like it used to and doesn't come up with the vm menu.

11/14/2017
Pete, Engineer

I am Pete, and I'll be happy to assist with your question today.

Did the voicemail work ok previously for you?

i have used this system for the 7 yrs i have been there and never had this issue. I have always been able to receive messages and change the outgoing message. Now the voicemessage menu won't come up and when I push the vm button I get no response other than that the phone rings and rings. The phone works fine otherwise, I can call and receive calls.

Is this phone connected to an office phone system?

Are there any other phones connected to the same system? Do they work ok?

This is the administrator phone for the system. There are two main phones that need to use voicemessaging and neither are working.

Did you recently have any power outages or thunderstorms?

Try powering off the entire phone system, then reboot it again.

Let me know if that works?

We have had power outages, but those haven't caused a problem in the past. Here are two things that happened recently and maybe you would know whether they are related to this issue. 1. The voicemail red light was blinking a few weeks ago and showed that there was a message. When I attempted to retrieve it, there was no message. I deleted it, but the red light continued to flash. I did that multiple times before it cleared. 2. two weeks ago the battery backup surge protector for the phone system started issuing a high pitched ringing. We powered off the surge protector to make it stop, but that took down the phone system and internet. So temporarily we put a non-battery backup surge protector in its place until a new one could be purchased. Would a change in the surge protector make a difference? I powered down the system and then restarted. The issue continues.

A power brownout or a surge can cause issues with the voicemail.

However your surge protector should keep you protected from this.

The high pitched ringing does not sound good - if the surge protector malfunctioned then it may have caused the problem - the voicemail system is very sensitive to voltage changes.

Sometimes a reboot can resolve these issues - if it did not work then the voicemail system will require a service visit to repair it.

Ok. This is good info. I have located the company that installed the system and have called for a tech. They said on the phone that the ringing is due to low batteries in the surge protector. Thank you for your help.

You are welcome :)

Pete, Engineer