Phone Systems

Ask a Phone Systems Question, Get an Answer ASAP!

KX-TGA470 does not hold a charge even when I replace the…

Customer Question
KX-TGA470 does not hold...

KX-TGA470 does not hold a charge even when I replace the rechargeable batteries with brand new batteries -- WHY?

Technician's Assistant: What's the make/model of your device? How old is it?

Panasonic phone Model KX-TGA470 - Made in Malaysia - 3 years old

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?

This has been going on for about 3 months. I have replaced the rechargeable batteries with brand new batteries twice. The phone holds a charge for a while when placed on the main base unit; then the display reads: "Charge for 7h"

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Electronics Expert to know before I connect you?

No - I just need the phone to work again because what do I do if I have an emergency and the phone is dead? Thank you.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Phone Systems
11/11/2017
Electronics Technician: Russell H., Service Tech replied 5 months ago
Russell H., Service Tech

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.
Have you ever charged up the phone in question for 7 hours continuously? that is what the message means.

New batteries, especially, of the rechargeable type, often need prolonged charging before first being put into use, at least 5 hours continuously on the charger.

On the other hand... tell me more about the overall symptoms of battery 'not holding charge' - has the phone ever shut off or shut down unexpectedly? for instance.

I have charged the phone for 7 hours continuously -- actually all day and all night; however, the phone will only take the charge on the base unit. When placed on the other units after being charged on the base unit all day and all night, the phone loses the charge after being placed on the other unit in the morning. When I return home from work in the evening, the "Charge for 7h" message reappears and the phone is dead. A light appears on the phone as though I have a message waiting and there is a beeping sound (but there is no message waiting). After replacing the rechargeable batteries, I place the phone on the base unit where it remains all day and all night before I try to use the phone.That is more than 24 hrs. Yes -- the phone shuts down (e.g. goes dead) after being removed from the base unit and being placed on the other holder unit.Although the display reads: "charging" when being placed on the other holder unit, the phone is dead when I attempt to use the phone in the evening when I return home from work. The light is flashing even though the phone is dead and there is no message waiting.

Perhaps the 'other holder unit' is either

A. not a charger, but only a 'rest station' or 'stand' in which to put the phone handset when not using it, and/or

B. it is a charger, but, is not plugged in to the wall outlet, which is necessary for it to charge the batteries in any phone placed on it.

Let me know if you think that is the answer to this problem. It may be... doing a check on the plugged-in (or not) status of those 'other holder' units.

If this answers your question, please rate my answer. A five-star rating would be appreciated!

If you need more info, or have any comments, use Reply To Expert to respond.

Thanks.

Russell H., Service Tech