Phone Systems

Ask a Phone Systems Question, Get an Answer ASAP!

My handset says "check tel line" I did everything it says in…

Customer Question
My handset says "check...

My handset says "check tel line" I did everything it says in the previous inquiry and nothing happened?

Technician's Assistant: What's the make/model of your device? How old is it?

Panasonic model kx-tga931t

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?

3days....I tried unplugging from both the base and the wall. took batteries out

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Phone Expert to know before I connect you?

Could it possibly be the modem?

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Phone Systems
11/11/2017
Electronics Technician: Greg A., Engineer replied 8 months ago
Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer

Hello & Welcome to Just Answer,

I'm Greg and will do my best to assist with this issue today.

Sorry to hear of any issue with your phones.

To help you with this issue, may I ask:

1) What landline phone service provider (phone company) you have for this phone line?

2) Do you have ANY other devices/phones (NOT part of the main system) attached to this same phone line and if so, are they working properly?

Please REPLY using the box below and the SEND button.
*** IMPORTANT NOTE: *** ANY requests for "additional services" (such as a phone call) are OPTIONAL and sent BY THE SITE AUTOMATICALLY (and not me), and I am NOT available by phone at the moment.
Please DECLINE (close) any such offers, and continue in this text/chat form.

Thanks

Optimum.
2 is no

Hi again and thanks for that information.

OK - can you get access to a different phone - such as a basic corded phone - that CAN be connected to the phone line AS A TEST?

Even an old or borrowed phone would do for this test.

Thanks

no we don't

OK - since you don't have another phone to test with, let me ask if you have any OTHER SERVICES through the service provider - such as internet or TV services?

both, they are both working fine
is it possible it could be the modem? or maybe the phones are just old?
Do the batteries in the handset need changing?

OK - very good.

So let me ask about the "modem". Is it easily accessible and has multiple indicators (lights) on the front, where at least one of them is a "phone" indicator?

If so, what is that light doing (ON, flashing, etc.)?

it's off
sorry....the light is on
only the link light is blinking

And by the way, the "check tel line" display usually means that the phone system is NOT detecting a "valid" phone line connection. So the batteries should be fine, and I suspect that this is a SERVICE issue.

What I would like to have you do is a RESET of the modem - to see if the phone service can be restarted and made to work.

Are you willing and able to try that reset - if I send the procedure to you?

Thanks

sure

OK - here is the procedure, which takes about 2-3 minutes. During that time, do NOT change anything with your computers or TV, but just leave them wherever they are, and then try to respond or refresh the computer screen - AFTER the reset.

Modem RESET/REBOOT:
To do that reset, simply find the POWER PLUG in the back of that box (modem) and disconnect it. And leave it disconnected for AT LEAST TWO MINUTES, and check that all the lights are out on the front of the box.
NOTE: If the modem has an internal "backup battery", that will need to be disconnected too - so that the lights go OUT.
Then, after the TWO MINUTES, reconnect the power plug (and battery if needed), and watch the lights on the front of the box for a minute or so, as the device restarts. When the lights "stabilize", then you should be able to TRY a NEW TEST CALL and see if the results have changed - if the CHECK TEL LINE message has gone away.

Please let me know your results - after the reset.

Thanks

Why am I being charged an additional $21.00 ? Now I ha
Now I don't have Internet
The link light is off

Hi again,

Just in case you were not aware, you have asked your question on JustAnswer.com - a paid support service. It is NOT free help.
Typically there is a $5 deposit - to POST your question - plus an agreed upon amount, with the total balance paid upon receiving an answer.

Back to the issue(s):

Was the RESET procedure done yesterday AND did it restore the PHONE SERVICE?

If so, now the the internet is not working could be an indicator of additional issues - perhaps with the Optimum equipment or their network.

If that is the case, you will want to contact Optimum support, using one of the contact methods I have posted below.

Optimum Main Support

https://www.optimum.net/support/

Optimum Contact Phone Numbers

https://www.optimum.net/support/phone-list/

Please let me know.

Thanks, ***** *****

(im)

The phone is fine. No Internet

If the phone is working, I would recommend using one of the phone numbers on the contact list - to get in contact with "Technical Support". They should be able to take your call 24/7/365.

You could also try another reset, but that may be a temporary fix - if this is really an Optimum equipment or network issue.

Please let me know what is found - when you can.

Thanks, ***** *****

(im)

Hi again,

I see it has been a while and I haven't seen a response on this page, so I just wanted to follow up to see if you have any more questions concerning this issue OR if the issue was resolved?

I look forward to any further questions or results that you may have.

Thanks, ***** *****
--. .-
(im)

Optimum was able to help me. Thank you, ***** ***** good now.

Hi again,

Its good to know that the system working again.

If my input helped in ANY way (sometimes asking the right question leads to a solution), please consider rating my service at a high level (5-star is my goal). This is how I am compensated for the time spent with you, and how I help support my family.
You should see some "stars" (and SUBMIT button) to do that, but please let me know if you do NOT see them (you may have REFRESH your screen) or can not use them.

Take Care, Greg A.

(im)