Phone Systems

Ask a Phone Systems Question, Get an Answer ASAP!

My phones say line in use and I can't get them to hang uup.

Customer Question
My phones say line...

My phones say line in use and I can't get them to hang uup

Technician's Assistant: How old is the phone?

Probably 7

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?

It started today

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Phone Systems
11/7/2017
Electronics Technician: Greg A., Engineer replied 7 months ago
Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer

Hello & Welcome to Just Answer,

I'm Greg and will do my best to assist with this issue today.

Sorry to hear of any issue with your phone(s).

To help you with this issue, may I ask:

1) The FULL Model Number of the phone system you are working with? If this is a cordless system, that model should be printed on a sticker on the bottom or back of the MAIN base station.

2) What landline phone service provider (phone company) you have for this phone line?

3) Do you have ANY other devices/phones (NOT part of the main system) attached to this same phone line and if so, are they working properly?

Please REPLY using the box below and the SEND button.
*** IMPORTANT NOTE: *** ANY requests for "additional services" (such as a phone call) are OPTIONAL and sent BY THE SITE AUTOMATICALLY (and not me), and I am NOT available by phone at the moment.
Feel free to DECLINE (close) any such offers, and continue in this text/chat form.

Thanks

model cs6429-2 centurylink

Hi again,

3) Do you have ANY other devices/phones (NOT part of the Vtech system) attached to this same phone line and if so, are they working properly?

our laptop is hooked up thru the phone line

OK - can you do a quick TEST for me?

That test is to remove the phone cord from the MAIN BASE (or the phone jack in the wall), then check the DISPLAY of the phones, and let me know of the LINE IN USE message goes away, and is replaced with a different display (such as NO LINE).

Thanks

It says no line when unplugged

OK - very good. That is what is supposed to happen.

So may I ask if you have a DIFFERENT phone - such as a basic corded phone - that can be connected to the phone line and TESTED for a dial tone?

ANY phone would do for this test - even an old phone or borrowed from a friend/neighbor.

Let me know if you can do that.

No, no other phone

OK - can you tell me if you have access to a outside phone - such as a cell phone - and can call your landline number - as a TEST of what is heard when that is done?

I tried that earlier and it rings but no answer

OK - does that mean that the TEST CALL (from the cell) just rings and rings - and there is no "Voicemail" feature for the CenturyLink service?

OK - let's try another TEST - to see if we can get dial tone back on the phone.

For this TEST, I would like you to DISCONNECT ALL DEVICES attached to the phone line - including computers - and leave them disconnected for about FIVE MINUTES.

Then after that delay, reconnect ONLY the Vtech phone cord, then TEST for a DIAL TONE, and if calls can be made.

Please let me know what happens - AFTER that TEST.

Thanks

sorry, I reconnected the laptop, too. Do you want it done again? The phone came up out of range and no line.

OK - did you connect the phone cord to the Vtech FIRST - before the laptop - and TEST for a dial tone?

but nothing on the phone.

OK - so does that mean that there was NO DIAL TONE?

And did the display return to

1) LINE IN USE or

2) NO LINE?

no dial tone and the phone is back to line in use

OK - a couple more questions - please bare with me.

When listening for the dial tone, do you hear ANYTHING at all - such as any background noise or humming?

And does the phone cord have a "filter" between the cord and the phone jack (in the wall?)?

Thanks

I hear nothing when I push talk and I don't think there is a filter

OK - I would REALLY like to TEST with a different phone, but since you do not have one available, I would recommend contacting the TECHNICAL SUPPORT folks at CenturyLink to report this issue.

You can will need to use a working phone (cell phone?) to contact them of course, and can find the contact number for your area on the following page.

NOTE: You MAY have to enter your zip code when reaching this page.

CLICK HERE --> http://www.centurylink.com/help/contact/

If reaching a working phone is difficult, you can also try the "chat" for technical support, on the following page.

Click Here --> http://www.centurylink.com/help/chat/

Please let me know what is found, or if you have any more questions.

Thanks, ***** *****

Hi again,

I have another reference link for you - to show some basic TESTING that you MAY be able to do - to see if this is a CenturyLink issue or something inside your home.

This is a video, that is about five minutes long, but is worth the time to look at.

Click Here for Video --> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9ohexyr_cA

Please let me know what is found - when you can.

If this has helped answer your question(s), please take a moment to rate MY service level (5-star is my goal) so that I get credit for my time helping you with this question.
You should see some "stars" (and SUBMIT button) to do that, but please let me know if you do NOT see them (you may have to REFRESH your screen) or can not use them.

Thanks, ***** *****
--. .-

Hi again,

I see it has been a while and I haven't seen a response on this page, so I just wanted to follow up to see if you have any more questions concerning this issue OR if the issue was resolved?

I look forward to any further questions or results that you may have.

Thanks, ***** *****
--. .-
(im)