Phone Systems

Ask a Phone Systems Question, Get an Answer ASAP!

I bought a phone answering system model kx-tgd564 and it…

Customer Question
I bought a phone...

I bought a phone answering system model kx-tgd564 and it will not take messages. I have recorded my voice message and set the time rigger and recorded time but it will not beep and take messages.

Technician's Assistant: Just to clarify, what's the exact make and model of your machine?

Panasonic Kx-tgd564 4 head set unit

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?

I just bought it two days ago and have been trying to set it up for a day now. I have read everything and reset the headset twice. sill not working. I also saw a not in the manual the said this unit will not record calls from a cell phone, is that true?

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Phone Systems
10/6/2017
Electronics Technician: Greg A., Engineer replied 10 months ago
Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer

Hello & Welcome to Just Answer,

I'm Greg and will do my best to assist with this issue today.

Sorry I didn't see your question earlier and to hear of any issue with your phones/answering system.

If you still need help with this issue, may I ask:

1) Do you have access to an outside phone - such as a cell phone - that can be used to place a TEST CALL to the Panasonic number? If so, please place that test call, let it ring several times (at least one past the value programmed), and let me know if you hear your EXACT recorded greeting.

2) What landline phone service provider (phone company) you have for this phone line?

3) Do you have ANY other devices/phones (NOT part of the main system) attached to this same phone line?

Please REPLY using the box below and the SEND button.
*** IMPORTANT NOTE: *** ANY requests for "additional services" (such as a phone call) are OPTIONAL and sent BY THE SITE AUTOMATICALLY (and not me), and I may NOT be available by phone.
Feel free to DECLINE (close) any such offers, and continue in this text/chat form.

Thanks

I have Charter for my phone service, and I tryed calling from my cell and had no luck leaving a message.

Hi again,

Can you REPEAT the TEST CALL, and tell me EXACTLY what is heard - including the number of rings heard - IN THE CALLING PHONE?

I get 4 rings, my message plays then I get no beep and can not leave a message.

OK - is the "greeting" you hear the EXACT greeting that you recorded earlier?

Also, do you know how to CHANGE the ring count (number of rings) before the Panasonic picks up the call? If so, please try CHANGING the ring count to TWO (lowest possible), save that setting, and then repeat the test call one more time (and let me know the results).

Thanks

Im trying to find the code for rings, this manual is covers 51 pages on set up, I'm trying

Take your time.

But I believe the DIRECT COMMAND code for setting the rings is #211.

That is, press MENU, then #211 (pound-two-one-one).

Then use the UP & DOWN keys to highlight the number of rings, then press the SAVE soft key (to save the value), then press the OFF button (to exit programming).

OK I did that and made a call from my cell and had no change, no beep after my message played.

OK - did the answering system actually PICK UP the call - after TWO rings?

Im not sure, the number 0 flashed and that's all I got .

OK - please repeat the TEST CALL and COUNT the number of rings you hear - in the calling phone.

I got two rings my greeting message came on, no beep

Interesting.

Next setting to double-check is the Recording Time.

This time press MENU, then # 3 0 5 (pound-three-zero-five), and CHECK that is is NOT set to "Greeting only".

Then use the arrow keys to highlight either 1 min or 3 min, then SAVE that setting and exit programming (press OFF).

Then repeat the TEST CALL and see if you HEAR the beep, and TRY to leave a TEST MESSAGE - of at least 10 seconds long.

i check it's not in the greeting only mode, the unit is set for 3min, and I placed a test call and tried to leave a message with no luck. I had no new messages to hear, the headset was on "0"

OK - please CHANGE the system to 1 Min, SAVE that setting, and try the TEST CALL again.

Let me know if you hear the BEEP in the calling phone, and even if you don't please TRY to leave a message - as a TEST.

OK I did that, no change.

OK - that is strange.

May I ask WHEN and WHERE this system was purchased?

And has the answering system EVER worked before?

I bought it on Wednesday from Best Buys The system never worked!

Hmm ... it is POSSIBLE that you got a faulty base unit - as far as the answering system goes.

May I ask if you can perform a "power cycle" reset of the main base unit - as a final troubleshooting step - before we say/conclude that the base unit is faulty?

To do that reset, simple disconnect ALL cords (phone & power) from the base, and remove any handset that is sitting on the base, and leave then disconnected for AT LEAST FIVE minutes.

Then reconnect the cords, and wait for the base to power on & initialize.

Then make sure the answering system is ON, and repeat the TEST CALL.

OK, did all that, no change!

OK - that would tend to confirm that the Answering system function of the base unit is faulty. I know that may sound like "bad news", but the good news is that IF this was just purchased a few days ago, the retailer SHOULD take it back and replaced it with a new system. That assumes that this was NOT an "open box" or other "special sale". But I would think that even if it was such an item, they would still take it back and give you credit.

Just make sure you have the ENTIRE package contents (and receipt) when taking it back to the retailer.

Please let me know what you experience when returning the system OR if you have any more questions.
If this has helped answer your question(s), please take a moment to rate MY service level (5-star is my goal) so that I get credit for my time helping you with this question.
You should see some "stars" (and SUBMIT button) to do that, but please let me know if you do NOT see them (you may have to REFRESH your screen) or can not use them.

Thanks, ***** *****
--. .-

Hi again,

I see it has been a few days and I haven't seen a response on this page, so I just wanted to follow up to see if you have any more questions concerning this issue OR if the issue was resolved?

I look forward to any further questions or results that you may have.

Thanks, ***** *****
--. .-
(im)