Phone Systems

Ask a Phone Systems Question, Get an Answer ASAP!

I have a Panasonic KX-TG385SK phone system with 5 phones.

Customer Question
I have a Panasonic...

I have a Panasonic KX-TG385SK phone system with 5 phones. When I make a call the person I am calling says the sound quality is horrible and scratchy. All of my handsets indicate that the batteries are fully charged. This just started about a week ago. Can you help me?

Technician's Assistant: How old is the phone?

About 3 years.

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?

...about a week or two, I haven't tried much because as I said the batteries show fully charged in all the handsets.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Electronics Expert to know before I connect you?

No, nothing else.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Phone Systems
10/3/2017
Electronics Technician: Greg A., Engineer replied 10 months ago
Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer

Hello & Welcome to Just Answer,

I'm Greg and will do my best to assist with this issue today.

Sorry I didn't see your question earlier and to hear of any issue with your phones.

To help you with this issue, may I ask:

1) Does this same noise and scratchy sounds happen with ALL CALLS - both OUT and IN?

2) Does this happen for ALL CORDLESS HANDSETS, and has the SPEAKERPHONE of the MAIN BASE also been tried and has the same noise?

3) What landline phone service provider (phone company) you have for this phone line?

4) Do you have ANY other devices/phones (NOT part of the Panasonic system) attached to this same phone line and if so, are they working properly (no scratchy noise)?

Please REPLY using the box below and the SEND button.
*** IMPORTANT NOTE: *** ANY requests for "additional services" (such as a phone call) are OPTIONAL and sent BY THE SITE AUTOMATICALLY (and not me), and I may NOT be available by phone.
Feel free to DECLINE (close) any such offers, and continue in this text/chat form.

Thanks

Hi again,

I see it has been a few days and I haven't seen a response on this page, so I just wanted to follow up to see if you have any more questions concerning this issue OR if the issue was resolved?

I look forward to any further questions or results that you may have.

Thanks, ***** *****
--. .-
(im)

Hi Greg,Answer to 1) and 2) is YES, 3) I use VOIP 'Vonage', 4) is NO. As this unit is about 3 to 4 years old might I need to replace all the recharable batteries even though the handsets indicate they are fully charged?

HI again and thanks for that information.

One CLARIFICATION question (from #2):

and has the SPEAKERPHONE of the MAIN BASE (when the cordless handset is NOT used) also been tried and has the same noise?

I only ask because IF the BASE SPEAKERPHONE is being used, then batteries in the cordless handsets would NOT be involved.

That also relates to question #4, about having a DIFFERENT phone attached to the line and if it also had the scratchy noises.

So let me change that question a little bit:

4a) Do you have a DIFFERENT phone (basic corded phone is best) that CAN be attached to the phone line - and TESTED for any noise on the line?

The reason for these questions is to determine if the noised is coming FROM the phone (or main base) OR if it is coming from the phone SERVICE (Vonage hardware in this case).

For #4a), even a borrowed phone would do for the TEST - to see if the noise is present.

Please let me know if you can get a different phone to TEST with, and the results.

Thanks, ***** *****

(im)

The answer would be NO, we do not have any other nor have we tested any other phones with the Vonage adapter. We also have not tested the speaker in the base unit. I will test the speaker in the base and also borrow a hard wired phone and test them both and get back to you Greg, thank you.

You're quite welcome & I look forward to your results.

TIP: Another TESTING method is to take the MAIN BASE and ONE handset to a friend/neighbor's (with quiet & working phone service) and connect to their phone line - to test for the noise there.

Thanks, ***** *****

(im)