Phone Systems

Ask a Phone Systems Question, Get an Answer ASAP!

I purchased a Panasonic kx-tge445b. Do i have to have an…

Customer Question
I purchased a Panasonic...

I purchased a Panasonic kx-tge445b. Do i have to have an outside telephone line to use this phone?

Technician's Assistant: How old is the phone?

I got the phone last winter when we were in Gulf Shores.

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?

I am just now trying to use it. It has 5 hand sets where my old one only has 3. My old one works just fine. We could be rolling down the highway and the phone works just great.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Electronics Expert to know before I connect you?

Nope. Is it too late for me to return it.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Phone Systems
9/27/2017
Electronics Technician: Nathan, Technician replied 8 months ago
Nathan, Technician

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

Are you asking if a home telephone line is necessary or if you can use it with a cell phone? Or are you asking if you have to dial some number/code to get a dial tone?

Do I have to have a actual phone line to use this phone? The phone I have now has a radio antenna with it and can work in our RV rolling down the road.

Yes an actual phone line is required, this is not a wireless based phone system, it is meant for residential use and needs a wired line.

There are some cellular based phone line options that you can get from verizon, att, etc where they provide you a small box with a phone jack on it and an antenna, the panasonic could plug into one of those, and it would link to the cellular network with a monthly fee, and you could use it that way though.

Can I return this to Best Buy? This was not a cheep phone.

That would be up to best buy really, I would expect not though. They typically have a 30 day return policy and it sounds like you are past that. You could always resell it on amazon or ebay though. Panasonic does have other models too that are "link2cell" capable, so they can be connected to your existing cell phone (like an iphone) and provide a phone line to the panasonic that way. It sounds like that is what your older system used.

Hello, it appears your question is still open.

Do you need more help with this?