Phone Systems

Ask a Phone Systems Question, Get an Answer ASAP!

Panasonic phone says check tel line, then I bought a new…

Customer Question
Panasonic phone says check...

Panasonic phone says check tel line, then I bought a new panasonic phone set, and it says the same thing

Technician's Assistant: How old is the phone?

It was about 6 years old, but have installed a new set from Sams club yesterday it says the same thing

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?

None, i thought it was a lost phone that was left connected , first it said conference call, then said ck line

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Phone Expert to know before I connect you?

Thats it I guess, thank you

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Phone Systems
9/26/2017
Electronics Technician: Russell H., Service Tech replied 8 months ago
Russell H., Service Tech

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.
What phone service do you have, please, or what phone company name?

When the Panasonic phones have this trouble, what do you hear on the line?

there is no dial tone, but when i call the land line from my cell phone I can hear it ringing,
what do you think is the problem
I do not want a call, are you there?
there is no help here, no one is responding, I am cancelling this

I am still here... do you still want my advice?

I already paid 26 for the subscription, now you want another $26??

Where do you hear the ringing when you call with a cell phone - ringing in your cell phone's speaker or earpiece speaker... or the Panasonic phone itself ringing?

Thank you - you may ignore the solicitation for additional services (and with them, charges). I did not send that message to you, the website system did. (And I have no control over such messages.)

the phone itself is ringing

OK - the Panasonic phone (or is it the cell phone?) rings, but it doesn't produce a dial tone when you pick up the (Panasonic) phone. Correct?

when i call the panasonic on my cell phone, I hear the panasonic ringing and ringing
no it does not produce a dial tone

I see. OK, how have you hooked up the Panasonic phone, please? and, what phone service do you have, or what phone company?

I hooked it up the same way the old one was, to the phone jack into the wall and plugged in
Century LInk

OK... and the old phone wasn't working either, was it?

So now the Panasonic phone is plugged in to the wall jack... fine. But where does the wall jack lead?

Did Century Link provide a 'box' or network box, or modem? if so, what is its maker and model, please?

it is connected to a modem and a router

OK. What's the maker and model of the modem for your Century Link service, please?

it is a Century Link modem
ZtXel model C1100Z

OK. But, how long ago did this phone problem originally start, please? and how long ago was the Century Link service, and/or the Century Link modem, installed?

ZyXel
the modem and service was updated 1yr ago. have had century link here for 20 yrs
i thought maybe little grandkid played with one of the phones and pushed "talk" button, and now I cant find the 4th phone. at first the phone showed "conference" the said ck tel line
the problem started about 2 weeks ago

That might affect things! if one phone is set to On and/or Conference, it could jam up the line.

Do you have a 'phone base' for this Panasonic phone set or system? or do you just have a 'charger' with no buttons nor screen on it?

i thought the main phone with the answering machine, etc was the phone base. it has the #1 phone on it.

OK. You should be able to signal all the phone handsets connected to that 'main phone' or base phone, to ring at the same time. This may help locate the missing 4th phone, that may be fouling up the others and their workings.

Now, what is the model # on the base phone, please? so I may instruct you.

all the phones say "charging", although they have been plugged in for 2 days. I did install the batteries correctly

As I said, I disconnected the old set of phones that had the 4th one missing, and bought this new Panasonic set and have had it hooked up for a couple of days,the problem is still the same.
KX-TG785

Good. Then the missing 4th phone is not the problem.

I still suspect the problem of being on the phone line. Let me check on that model of Zyxel modem you mentioned...

do I need to schedule the phone company to come out?

OK. That is a DSL modem. Your phone line then has CenturyLink DSL internet service.

Is there a cable plugged in to the Zyxel modem, on the 'PHONE' port?

There should be a cable plugged in to the Zyxel modem, on the 'DSL' port, though, leave that one where it is.

STOP TEXTING ME

The phone co. is not needed, I don't think.

there is one connected on the phone port,

...but none on the DSL port?

The DSL port is green, the PHONE port is black. Which of these has a phone cable hooked up to it?

there is a green cord connected on dsl there
the black is on phone port the green is on DSL

Good so far....

Try plugging the phone line from the Panasonic phone, into the black 'PHONE' port on your modem. What do you hear on the receiver after doing that?

the black cord from the phone IS and has been plugged into the phone port on the modem
no dial tone, still saying ck tel line

OK. I thought you said before:

26/09/2017 03:30

... the phone jack in the wall, or the phone jack on the Zyxel modem?

well there is a green cord plugged into the phone jack and everything else is connected to the modem

'a green cord plugged into the phone jack' - ? that's the wall jack, you mean?

the wall jack. thank you for your time. Ill call the phone company

Very well... that might be best. I hope I helped clarify the situation somewhat.

But: if you are still getting internet through the CenturyLink modem and service, then the phone situation might turn out to be a matter of internal wiring in your household. That's why I was trying to figure out how your Panasonic phone was hooked up relative to the modem.

Also, with DSL on your phone line, you need a 'DSL filter' for all phones and faxes using the service, between e.g. your phone and the main phone line.

IF the phone co. cannot help let me know and I will advise you further.

It was all working just fine and had been for years, until 2 weeks ago. havent needed filters,etc. think that it is the problem of lost phone being on, Ill just have to call out search and rescue to find that phone!

But, you replaced the whole of that old phone set. The lost phone should not matter.

Have you tried turning Off the modem (by unplugging it from just the power, for 5 minutes), then after that 5 minutes, re-connecting the power to it? If you have not done this since you replaced the old phone set with the missing 4th phone, then I advise you try it once, now. Let me know how that goes.