Phone Systems

Ask a Phone Systems Question, Get an Answer ASAP!

I have a KX TGA641 Panasonic telephone system. I suddenly…

Customer Question
I have a KX...

I have a KX TGA641 Panasonic telephone system. I suddenly cannot get the phone to answering machine to take a message. I know it is just a key stroke on set up but I don't know which one.

Technician's Assistant: Just to clarify, what's the exact make and model of your machine?

Its an older model KX TG A641

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?

This last week.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Phone Systems
9/23/2017
Electronics Technician: Louie, Technician replied 11 months ago
Louie, Technician

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer, I’m Louie. Sorry you had to wait awhile but I’ll do my best to help.
Initially, re-confirm and post back with the complete model number of the Panasonic main/base unit.

This is an independent site and members of this online community provide information, repair tips, technical assistance as a form of paid Q & A service.

you should know the bell symbol on the base handset has a line through it and I believe that is the issue.
I can do the problem determination on line, and then decide.
I will rate after completion.
KG TA 641

Thank you for your kind understanding of automated-systems / machine-generated followups, ads & offers.

And as posted above;...what is the complete model number of the Panasonic main/base unit.

base station is KX TG 6431

Appreciate the additional information.

Which is your concern please; "...cannot get the phone to answering machine to take a message..."

or

"...bell symbol on the base handset has a line through..."

Cannot the phone to answering machine to take a message

When you try calling this Panasonic phone using your cellphone, what message do you hear please? ...and the Panasonic's answering machine does not auto-answer?

It sounded like a lawnmower then did not answer, silence after the programmed 2 rings.

I understand.

Even if so, are you able to successfully make an outgoing call?

No it says system busy..... try again.
That did not happen before.

For test purposes:

• disconnect the telephone wire connection to the KX-TG6431 base unit;
  • also unplug its AC power wall adapter;
  • remove the batteries of the handsets;
  • keep disconnect and unpowered for a period of time;
  • wait 5 minutes and use your cellphone again to call the Panasonic (even if still disconnected);
  • determine if "...sounded like a lawnmower then did not answer..." would persist.
All disconnected, I will wait 5 minutes. Keep in mind we had a power outage from Hurricane Irma for 6 days ending 3 days ago. I had the same problem before the outage, but was out of town until power was restored. I believe the problem is in the settings and can be fixed by going through which ever setting controls the answering machine. I was able to change my message this am but still could not get the answering machine to work. I will now go back and replug everything.

While still unplugged, please try calling again using your cellphone.

my cell says "busy" when all unplugged. when I replugged it rang continuously even though it is set for 2 rings.

Please consider that the number for the Panasonic still rung "..."busy" when all unplugged..."

The Panasonic is no longer connected. This would be indicative that it is not a Panasonic phone issue.

Have you brought this to the attention of your land line / home phone service provider?

The telephone is pickiing up after two rings as programmed, the answering machine is not answering. The cell phone continues to ring, so it has to be in the answering machine or the set up.

I would beg to differ.

When the Panasonic is disconnected and you called this number, the cellphone should hear ringing not busy signal.

That it is busy even if the Pansonic is disconnected would not make this a Panasonic issue.

I will try it again

Yes please.

i ringing on the line wil all unplugged thour it sounds distant"
The ringing stopped after 10 + rings, dead silence

A final check:

• reconnect the KX-TG6431 base unit's telephone wire and AC wall adapter;
  • determine if there is a dialtone;
  • attempt to make an outgoing call.
there is a dial tone

Are you able to dial out, make a call and talkwith the person you called?

I am now getting a continuous busy on outgoing calls.

Do you have an old style / simple / corded telephone?

No, just my cell and the Panasonic system.

I was hoping to confirm/perform another test.

Still, have you called your land line / home phone service provider?

No, I have not but will do that now.

Apologies, Internet was down.

And yes please, when able.

Brighthouse/Spectrum is due in tomorrow at 830. I just don't understand with the problem determination we did, why the service continued to degrade from no transfer to the answering machine to unable to dial out and no answer when the phone is picked up. They are replacing the modem. Also, the $5 charge was billed correctly, and the another charge came in for 30 some dollars which I am disputing via AMERICAN EXPRESS.

I understand and apologies again for any inconvenience.

My participation is strictly limited to technical, repair and/or installation issues as well as related information.
Billings & payments concerns including membership/subscription are best addressed by Customer Support.