Phone Systems

Ask a Phone Systems Question, Get an Answer ASAP!

I use to have on my phone identical call, and caller list…

Customer Question
I use to have...

I use to have on my phone identical call, and caller list which are all gone now, how do I get it back? I have tried going through the menu to no avail.

Technician's Assistant: How old is the phone?

I purchased it last year from Best Buy.

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?

About 5 days and this is my first troubleshoot call.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Electronics Expert to know before I connect you?

Right now the phone display time, date and headset # with Intercom and Menu at the very bottom

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Phone Systems
Answered in 1 hour by:
9/22/2017
Electronics Technician: Greg A., Engineer replied 8 months ago
Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer

Hello & Welcome to Just Answer,

I'm Greg and will do my best to assist with this issue today.

Sorry I didn't see your question earlier and to hear of any issue you are having with your phones.

To help you with this issue, may I ask:

1) The FULL Model Number of the phone system you are working with? If this is a cordless system, that model should be printed on a sticker on the bottom or back of the MAIN base station (model sent is for a cordless handset).

2) What landline phone service provider (phone company) you have for this phone line?

3) Have there been any "power events" in the area recently (power glitch, storms, etc.)?

Please REPLY using the box below and the SEND button.
*** IMPORTANT NOTE: *** ANY requests for "additional services" (such as a phone call) are OPTIONAL and sent BY THE SITE AUTOMATICALLY (and not me), and I may NOT be available by phone.
Feel free to DECLINE (close) any such offers, and continue in this text/chat form.

Thanks

Model # KX-TGF350C
Phone Service Provider is Vmedia
Not to my knowledge
NO

Hi again and thanks for that information.

Can you tell me the TOTAL number of cordless handsets you have with this system and if more than one, do ALL handsets have this issue?

1 Base and 2 Head sets all have lost the ability to display calls coming in and stored for viewing.

Hi again, sorry for any delay.

As a FIRST STEP in troubleshooting, I would recommend a FULL SYSTEM RESET. I have the procedure I use below.

Cordless system "reset" procedure. This is done by following the steps below.
============================
1) Remove the batteries from ALL handsets in the system.
2) Remove the phone cord from the main base unit AND the phone jack in the wall.
3) Remove the AC power adapter plug from the main base unit AND remove the AC adapter from the power outlet.
4) WAIT 15 minutes. This allows any "stuck" conditions in the components to clear.
5) Reconnect the batteries in all handsets.
6) Reconnect the phone cord between the main base and the phone jack in the wall.
7) Reconnect the AC power adapter plug in the main base unit and then plug the AC adapter into the wall power outlet.
8) Wait 30-60 seconds for the system to reinitialize.
9) Test each handset for proper function.
10) Test each function of the main base unit (answering system, caller id, etc.).
============================

Please give these things a try and let me know what you find or if you have more questions.

Thanks, ***** *****

If I do this will I lose all the phone numbers stores?

Have you CHECKED to see if any stored numbers are still there?

If so, how many do you see listed?

I only ask because IF the Caller list and Caller ID functions have been disturbed, the phonebook memory MAY also be disturbed.

Caller list 0 items stored but I am more concerned about losing the phonebook . . . will that be lost?

Chev you CHECKED the phonebook - to see if anything is still there?

Actually the phone book has not been disturbed it still exist.
should I try the exercise now?
or should I list all phone numbers in the book before the exercise?

OK - there is ALWAYS a possibility that the phone numbers stored in the phonebook can be lost during a power loss - even for a short time.

If you absolutely need to have the phone numbers that are in the phonebook, then I recommend WRITING THEM DOWN (paper memory I call it) on a regular basis.

TO BE SAFE - I would record any IMPORTANT numbers - by writing them down - on paper.

Again, ANY POWER LOSS can cause numbers to be lost - even a SHORT power loss that happens during the reset procedure.

But I have had systems that RETAIN the numbers through the reset, and some that do not - so that is the reason for recording the numbers - for safe keeping.

Have recorded all important phone numbers will reset later this even when I expect no phone calls to be received.
If this fails I will let you know of failure or success.

Very good.

Of course at the end of the reset process, there should be some TESTS - to see if any change has occurred.

So you may want to plan to call a friend or two and have them call you back - as a part of the TESTS. When that happens, make sure you allow AT LEAST TWO RINGS - so that the full caller ID information can be received by the phone.

I look forward to your TEST results.

Take Care, Greg A.

Greg A.
Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer