Phone Systems

Ask a Phone Systems Question, Get an Answer ASAP!

We purchased a panasonic phone system Model #KX-TGL460 a few…

Customer Question
We purchased a panasonic...

We purchased a panasonic phone system Model #KX-TGL460 a few years ago. The unit was made unoperable after a lightening strike. replaced recently by purchasing new Panasonic Model KX-TGD531 yesterday. Sales rep. told me that we would be able to use the other cordless phones from our original purchase with the newly purchased product. After charging and plugging the new product, the old phones do not ring, tho' there is power going to them. Is there an adaptor or method we can use to make these phones operable???

Technician's Assistant: How old is the phone?

The original phone is about 2 years old. The new one, 1 day old.

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?

We need to know if the original product KX-TGL460 has handsets that are compatible with The new product KX-TGD531. They are both manufactured b Panasonic, but are not communicating.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Electronics Expert to know before I connect you?

Just what I need to know to be able to use original purchase.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Phone Systems
9/19/2017
Electronics Technician: Nathan, Technician replied 11 months ago
Nathan, Technician

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

Unfortunately, that salesperson has misled you or is simply misinformed. These 2 systems are not compatible or interchangeable with each other.

The old handsets cannot be used with the new system.

The new system utilizes the KX-TGDA50 model handsets, and those are the only handsets that will work with this model. Your old ones would need to be discarded at this point, or you'd have to purchase another system of the exact same model, though based on the age it is unlikely you'd find one.

You can however get additional handsets for the new system if you wish. If you want to buy those, I can tell how you to pair them up with the new base (it is not an automatic process).

Typically though, you'll find that it is much cheaper to buy a larger system in the first place. Additional handsets are usually about $40 each, so it is far cheaper to buy a bundled system with a base and 3/4/5 handsets up front rather than buying a system with 1 and trying to add more individually. I'd suggest returning the new phone entirely, and buy a different set, such as this one: http://amzn.to/2ycy5lX

I am deeply dissatisfied with the product, and the advice I was given by the sales rep. at Best Buy in Panama City, FL. This store is a*****from my home. Is there any solution Panasonic can suggest to keep a customer?

I certainly understand your frustration, however this is a best buy issue at its root. Cordless phone systems are not interoperable with other models, regardless of the brand. All panasonics, motorola, vtech, att, uniden, etc all work the same way. There is no way to force the systems to work together. I would recommend calling best buy and asking if they can send you a shipping label and allow you to return the item they incorrectly sold you that way, then purchase a new system such as the one I mentioned above.

Electronics Technician: Nathan, Technician replied 10 months ago

Hello, it appears your question is still open.

Do you need more help with this?
If so, just reply back on this page. If I’ve answered your question, please let me know you are satisfied, to conclude our session – this is the only way I am credited for my work as an independent technician. (You are rating me, personally, not panasonic or bestbuy)

Please note: You have already paid your fee to the site; I'd like to help you and provide value for that fee, but I do need to communicate with you here to do so, if more help is needed.