Phone Systems

Ask a Phone Systems Question, Get an Answer ASAP!

I did not have a surge protector during a recent storm and…

Customer Question
I did not have...

I did not have a surge protector during a recent storm and power outage. I am unable to get my KX - FPG381 Fax Base Unit to come on again now that the power is back on

Technician's Assistant: What's the make/model of your device? How old is it?

It is a 2.4 GHz Expandable Cordless Phone System and Fax.

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?

Started yesterday. I have only tried unplugging and replugging the base unit this morning since the power is back on

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Electronics Expert to know before I connect you?

The system is several years old; in the past after a power outage, it usually

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Phone Systems
Answered in 1 hour by:
9/12/2017
Electronics Technician: Nathan, Technician replied 8 months ago
Nathan, Technician

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, meaning a faulty power supply or logic board. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear, as a 2003 model, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising as this machine was designed and built for only a 3 year service life.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation

unplug power at the wall outlet
wait 5 minutes
press and hold the stop/cancel button for 60+ seconds
keep holding while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after, then release

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; at that point it is time for a new printer. While it can be fixed, it is not practical to do so. You'd be in the $150 range to have the internal power supply replaced, and a logic board would run you $200-250. For $80-100 you can replace the entire machine with a brand new model, with current technology and a fresh warranty, which makes more sense than buying the new part for an older printer.

Depending how you'd like to proceed, I can help with finding parts, finding a local repair shop, or recommending replacement options for you. Just let me know.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Hello, it appears your question is still open.

Do you need more help with this?
If so, just reply back on this page. If I’ve answered your question, please let me know you are satisfied, to conclude our session – this is the only way I am credited for my work as an independent technician.

Please note: You have already paid your fee to the site; I'd like to help you and provide value for that fee, but I do need to communicate with you here to do so, if more help is needed.

Nathan, Technician