Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience:  Working with Electronics for 25+ years.
5229702

It's not my cell. I have a question about putting a on a

Customer Question

It's not my cell. I have a question about putting a greeting on a land line phone ML17929.
JA: How old is the phone?
Customer: I bought it in May, 2016.
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: I "think" the greeting might have been erased several days ago. I went to my user's manual but could not find out to set up the greeting message for callers who want to leave a voice message on the phone.
JA: Anything else you want the Phone Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I hope that all the info needed.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Phone Systems
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

When someone calls you currently, are they not getting any option to leave a message at all?
Or can they leave a message but they hear the wrong greeting?
Are you able to hear the messages that may be left by pressing the play button on the base station?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The caller is not able to leave a message at all. I am not able to hear any messages.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The person who is calling my land phone(MNL17929) does not hear an option to leave a message. The phone just keeps ringing on their end. Evidently the greeting I had recorded previously has been erased. I want to add a greeting to my land phone.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for confirming,

that isn't actually a matter of the greeting, but rather that the answer system is not engaged, either due to a setting or a hardware defect.

Look on the main base station for a button that says ANS ON/OFF, press that, just once, then try to call the home line to test again and see if you get any greeting at all.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
There is no ANS ON/OFF button on this model(ML17929). I would like my $25. refunded to my Visa account. I will contact AT&T during normal business hours tomorrow.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Is anyone going to respond to my question? This is very frustrating.