Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience:  Working with Electronics for 25+ years.
5229702

Have model no. KX-TGFA30 when phone rings we can hear caller

have model no. KX-TGFA30 when phone rings we can hear caller but caller unable to hear us. can you help
JA: How old is the phone?
Customer: 2-3 years. Don't remember for sure/
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Cannot find owners manual. Started 4 days ago.
JA: Anything else you want the electronics expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: when using intercom, can hear ok.

Hello & Welcome to Just Answer,

I'm Greg and will do my best to assist with this issue today.

Sorry I didn't see your question earlier and to hear of any issue you are having with your phones.

To help you with this issue, may I ask:

1) The FULL Model Number of the phone system you are working with? If this is a cordless system, that model should be printed on a sticker on the bottom or back of the MAIN base unit (model sent is for a cordless handset).

2) How many TOTAL cordless handsets do you have with this system, and if more than one, do ALL handsets have this issue?

3) What landline phone service provider (phone company) you have for this phone line?

4) Do you have ANY other phones (NOT part of the Panasonic system) attached to this same phone line and if so, are they working properly?

Please REPLY using the box below and the SEND button.
*** IMPORTANT NOTE: *** ANY requests for "additional services" (such as a phone call) are OPTIONAL and sent BY THE SITE AUTOMATICALLY (and not me), and I may NOT be available by phone.
Feel free to DECLINE (close) any such offers, and continue in this text/chat form.

Thanks

(im)

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thanks for answering I was surprised that someone answered back. Panasonic model number capital K x - TGIF 370. There is also a another smaller sign that says model number KX tg585sk. Number 2 we have 4 handsets connected to the Bone and all of them have the same problem.

Hi again,

I just saw your call request, but unfortunately I'm not near a phone right now to be able to call. However another expert may respond to your call request before I can reach a phone.

We can also continue here in this chat/text form.

If that will work for you, please let me know what phone service provider you have for this phone line.

Thanks

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Comcast or Xfinity, and no other phones are attached to the system. I am NOT an electronic geek so bear with me please.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No problem waiting.

No worries at all - with not being an "electronic geek" ... take as much time as needed to respond to any notes.

So let me ask:

Do you have a MAIN BOX from Comcast - often called a "Modem" - where there are SEVERAL "lights" on the front of that box?

And if so, does one of those lights have a LABEL of "PHONE 1" or "TEL 1" next to it?

Thanks

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
34;Tel 1" is solid light on.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Do have to tell you that last night a friend called and she could hear me. Then again this morning another call came in and they could not hear me.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
We had similar problem with our last system that was a Philips unit and had Comcast out to check and problem was in base unit. This is our 3rd system to go bad in 2-3 yrs, is there a planned absolesense with cordless home phone systems?

Hi again and thanks for that detail.

OK - I suspect that this is really an issue with that MAIN BOX, OR the control software that manages ALL the services that run through that box.

So I have a RESET procedure you can try (below) to RESET And REBOOT that main box, and this often clears up this condition - of one side of the conversation not being heard.

To do that reset, simply find the POWER PLUG in the back of that box and disconnect it. And leave it disconnected for AT LEAST TWO MINUTES, and check that all the lights are out on the front of the box.

NOTE: if ALL the lights are not out, there may be a backup battery in the box that needs to be removed.
Then, after the TWO MINUTES, reconnect the power plug, and watch the lights on the front of the box for a minute or so, as the device restarts. When the lights "stabilize", then you should be able to make a NEW TEST CALL or two and see if the results have changed.

Please give that RESET a try, and let me know the results of any TEST CALLS made AFTER the box reboots.

Thanks, ***** *****

(im)

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok

I will look for your test results soon - so we know if there is more to do to resolve this issue.

Thanks

Customer: replied 2 months ago.

Greg A. Your wonderful! It worked on all hand sets! I don't know why I can't remember to do that because I have had to do similar action for other purposes. Thanks again and I will ask for you if I have any other problems, that is if I can remember your name and if I write it down if I can remember where I wrote it. Lovingly, Priscilla *************

You are quite welcome Priscilla and thanks for the kind words.

I have been told that there MAY be a "favorite expert" button you can click on - to help remember "who to call" in the future.

If my input helped in ANY way, please consider rating my service at a high level (5-star is my goal). This is how I am compensated for the time spent with you, and how I help support my family.
You should see some "stars" (and SUBMIT button) to do that, but please let me know if you do NOT see them (you may have REFRESH your screen) or can not use them.

Take Care, Greg A.

(im)