Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience:  Working with Electronics for 25+ years.
5229702

How do I set the volume and number of rings on my phone?

Customer Question

JA: How old is the phone?
Customer: Over two years
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: This has been going on for a couple of weeks. I have tried everything that i can think of. My hand set does not seem to have an up or down arrow or save button.
JA: Anything else you want the electronics expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No. The ringer works except for incoming calls.
Category: Phone Systems
Expert:  Greg A. replied 2 months ago.

Hello & Welcome to Just Answer,

I'm Greg and will do my best to assist with this issue today.

Sorry I didn't see your question earlier and to hear of any issue you are having with your phone(s).

To help you with this issue, may I ask:

1) The FULL Model Number of the phone system you are working with? If this is a cordless system, that model should be printed on a sticker on the bottom or back of the MAIN base unit.

2) What phone service provider (phone company) you have for this phone line?

3) Do you have ANY other phones (NOT part of the main system) attached to this same phone line and if so, are they working properly?

Please REPLY using the box below and the SEND button.
*** IMPORTANT NOTE: *** ANY requests for "additional services" (such as a phone call) are OPTIONAL and sent BY THE SITE AUTOMATICALLY (and not me), and I may NOT be available by phone.
Feel free to DECLINE (close) any such offers, and continue in this text/chat form.

Thanks

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The Model # is: KX-TGEA20
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No, I do not want you to call me for an additional sum.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 2 months ago.

Hi again,

OK - the KX-TGEA numbers are for a cordless handset.

Can you find the MAIN BASE of the system and send the model back from the base?

NOTE: The format of the BASE model should be something like "KX-TGExxx" - where xxx is a 3-digit number (and NOTE there is no "A" included.

Thanks

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The telephone service is ATT.
None of the of the ringers on any of the telephones in the Panasonic system work.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The model # is: KX-TGE270
Expert:  Greg A. replied 2 months ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** model.

OK - the MAIN BASE should have a "Locator" button on it. Can you tell me if the handsets "ring" (or beep) - if that button is tapped one time?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
there is a button labelled "intercom/Locator"
Expert:  Greg A. replied 2 months ago.

OK - that's the button.

Do the handsets ring when that button is tapped?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It neither rings or beeps. Instead, it hums constantly.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 2 months ago.

"Hums" ... interesting.

OK - how many cordless handsets do you have with this system, and if more than one, do ALL handsets "hum" when tapping the LOCATOR button?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
There are a total of 4 handsets. The "locator" button is only available on the main base. None of the other handsets have a "locator:" button.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 2 months ago.

You are correct - the locator button is ONLY on the MAIN BASE - and is used for the purposes of LOCATING the cordless handsets - in case they are "lost" or misplaced.

So do ALL handsets "hum" when tapping the LOCATOR button?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I placed each of the handsets into the main base and each hummed when the "locator" button is pressed.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 2 months ago.

For MY clarification: Is AT&T the LANDLINE service provider?

And if so, is this a "U-verse" based phone service, or hard wired into the building (your home?)?

NOTE: You do NOT have to place the handsets on the base - to press the LOCATOR button. As a matter of fact, you may want to place the handsets at the other side of the room - NOT in the base or charging stand.

Thanks

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The humming only comes from the main base and is not heard in any of the hand held sets.Further, the system is hard-wired into the building.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 2 months ago.

OK - if you can, please pick up any of the cordless handsets and look at the display, and let me know if you see a TINY icon - that looks like a BELL with a line through it.

Also, when you have the handset in your hand, press the SPEAKER button (speaker phone) - and let me know if you hear the dial tone.

Thanks

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Greg: I appreciate all of your efforts on my behalf re this issue. I am tired of all of this ---- am 80 years old and can no longer go from phone to phone.
Please cancel my order and refund all of my money, as we have not resolved this problem and I am tired of trying. Please confirm this to me.
Thank you again for your time and efforts but I do not want to go any further.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 2 months ago.

Hi again,

Please don't "give up" as we are getting closer to a solution with every troubleshooting step we take.

If you need a break, that's fine, as I'm here most of the day and into the evening.

Please let me know if a break will work for you.

Thanks

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
P.S. I plan to throw this Panasonic system in the trash and purchase a new one.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No, I just want to terminate this request and chalk it up to unresolved. Please confirm your refunding my money.
Thank you again.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 2 months ago.

P.S. Please don't "throw the system in the trash" - as the Panasonic may NOT be the issue at all. But if you MUST get rid of the system, please take or send it to an office supply store or other locations - so it can be "recycled".

ALSO: We experts are "users" of this site - just like you - and have no access to ANY of your private information or account - including any fees, refunds, etc..

If you have ANY concerns about your account or site operation, You can contact the Customer Service department at the following page:
http://ww2.justanswer.com/contact-us

You should also have an option on that page to contact Customer Service via email, chat, or phone.

Please let me know if you have any more questions - about your phone system - now or in the future.

Take Care, Greg A.

Expert:  Greg A. replied 2 months ago.

Hi again,

I see it has been a while and your question appears to still be OPEN, and I haven't seen a response on this page, so I just wanted to follow up to see if you have any more questions concerning this issue OR if the issue was resolved?

I look forward to any further questions or results that you may have.

Thanks, ***** *****
--. .-
(im)