Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience:  Working with Electronics for 25+ years.
5229702

I have a land line at my cabin but no electricity. I would

Customer Question

I have a land line at my cabin but no electricity. I would like an answering machine. The one I have is
JA: How old is the phone?
Customer: Cont... the answer machine is new with a power adaptor (input 117V AC, 60 Hz / output 6V AC, 350 mA ) A few years ago I successfully cut off an answer machine posed adapter and wired it to a car battery - it worked for a summer. I no longer have the directions on how to do this but think I could do it again, only with a smaller battery or even one of the square batteries used in some lanterns. Any guidance?
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Just trying to adapt an answering machine to my phone line. Is 6V answer machine workable?
JA: Anything else you want the phone expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Thank you
Category: Phone Systems
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 2 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.
That approach - powering the answering machine off a lead-acid small automotive-type battery - might work, *if* the answering machine has a 12 V DC input. Does it?