Phone Systems

Ask a Phone Systems Question, Get an Answer ASAP!

Model KX-TGA671SA turns off as soon as I swich on

Customer Question
Model KX-TGA671SA turns off...

Model KX-TGA671SA turns off as soon as I swich on speakerphone. Tried new batteries, charged them, same problem. The problem is the same on both handsets. The contacts are clean, etc. If I put in alkaline batteries then there is no such problem. What can I do? The problem appeared at the same time on both handsets. I reset the power on the base, and used the extra charging base as well. Help!

Technician's Assistant: What's the make/model of your device? How old is it?

It is a model KX-TGA671SA. It is a few years old, but I got two new sets of quality GP batteries. The charge indicator shows full, but still the problem is there. Strangely, with the alkaline batteries, the indicator shows only one bar, but the phone works normally. I am aware that with alkaline batteries, I cannot put it on the charger. But it is senseless to put in alkaline batteries every few days, and dispose of the old ones.

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?

I can move the nimh batteries between the phones, they both do it. I also charged the batteries on an external charger, makes no difference. If I use the same batteries in other devices, they function normally, the devices (a torch and a small shaver), function with normal battery life.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the phone expert to know before I connect you?

No, you can. I wonder is the base got anything to do with it, but with alkaline everything is fine. Thanks for the prompt reply.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Phone Systems
8/2/2017
Electronics Technician: Russell H., Service Tech replied 11 months ago
Russell H., Service Tech

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.
Are you sure that Speakerphone is not already On? because when you press the speakerphone button again when that function is already activated, then you turn the phone off, or at least turn Off the connection and hang up the phone line.

Also be sure you are not pressing the speakerphone button twice.

If it worked before but does not work now, consider replacing one of the rechargeable batteries (since you can use that same type of battery in other devices, this is not a very risky thing to try at all - at the very least you will have a battery ready to replace any in your devices, then), fully charge the brand-new battery, then see if the problem recurs with that battery. If it does not, then replace the other battery in the other phone handset as well.

If replacing the battery does not cure the problem, let me know, by Reply To Expert, and I will continue working with you to find a solution to the problem.

(If this answers your question, please rate my answer favorably. Thanks!)