Phone Systems

Ask a Phone Systems Question, Get an Answer ASAP!

Phone Systems

I cannot get my phone to ring I've been thru all of the menu…

Customer Question
I cannot get my phone...
I cannot get my phone to ring
I've been thru all of the menu settings but cannot correct this problem.
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Phone Systems
8/1/2017
Electronics Technician: Greg A., Engineer replied 6 months ago
Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer

Hello & Welcome to Just Answer,

I'm Greg and will do my best to assist with this issue today.

Sorry to hear of any issue you are having with your phones.

To help you with this issue, may I ask:

1) The FULL Model Number of the phone system you are working with?

2) WHEN did this issue first begin or was noticed?

3) What phone service provider (phone company) you have for this phone line?

Please REPLY using the box below and the SEND button.
*** IMPORTANT NOTE: *** ANY requests for "additional services" (such as a phone call) are OPTIONAL and sent BY THE SITE AUTOMATICALLY (and not me), and I may NOT be available by phone.
Feel free to DECLINE (close) any such offers, and continue in this text/chat form.

Thanks

KX-TGA652. Problem began w/i the last week. Phone service provider OPTIMUM

OK - that model appears to be for a Panasonic cordless handset - which can be used with a few different model systems.

IF you can find the MAIN BASE station and find a model there (typical format is KX-TGxxxx - where xxxx is a 4-digit number), that would be great.

Also, how many TOTAL cordless handset are present in this system, and if more than one, do ALL handsets have the same issue (not ring)?

Am i stuck on the Call me screen? Do not want this service b/c of extra charge

NOTE: *** ANY requests for "additional services" (such as a phone call) are OPTIONAL and sent BY THE SITE AUTOMATICALLY (and not me).

I never received a response from my 1st technician Greg A.

Hi again,

I was TRYING to respond, but it looks like you blocked me in some way.

Please let me know if you want to continue - in this text/chat form - which does NOT have an extra charge.

Thanks

Hi again,

I see it has been a while and I haven't seen a response on this page, so I just wanted to follow up to see if you have any more questions concerning this issue OR if the issue was resolved?

I look forward to any further questions or results that you may have.

Thanks, ***** *****
--. .-
(im)

Hello Greg! I am finally back home where I have access to our phones. The # on the main phone is: KX-TG6533B There is another # on the base which is S/N 01AXB105911. There are three handsets in use with this system.

Hi again and welcome back,

There should be a LOCATOR button on the MAIN BASE. Can you please tap it one time, and let me know if any or all the handsets "ring"?

Thanks

all three phones ring when I press locator button.

Very good.

Next, please look at the display of any of the handsets, and let me know if you see a "bell with a line through it" - as a small icon (image).

Thanks

No bell icon with line thru on any of the three handsets

OK - very good.

Next - do you have access to an outside phone - such as a cell phone or neighbor's phone - that you can Call the landline number with?

This is for TESTING purposes - to see what happens when an outside call come in to the landline number.

As part of this TEST, You can also LISTEN in the calling phone - to see what is heard from that end.

Please let me know if you can do this next TEST.

Thanks

I will use my cell phone to call the landline.

Very good. Please let me know what you see or hear - on both sides of the call.

On cell phone side I hear a ringing phone but no ring from and of the handsets. Silence when i listen to the handset. Also answer machine does not pick up even though the light on the base that shows "Answer on" is lit.

Interesting ...

As another TEST TOOL, may I ask if you have a "bundled" service - with TV service? And if so, do you have the "feature" where when a call comes into the landline number the Caller ID appears on the TV screen (assuming TV is ON)?

IF so, please turn on your TV, and repeat the TEST CALL while watching the TV screen - and let me know what you see.

Thanks

I have bundled. Made the test call with my cellphone and my cell # appeared on the screen.

OK - very good.

So if the caller ID of the cell IS appearing on the TV screen, but NOT ringing the Panasonic system phone, then there may be a problem with the "main box" for the bundled services.

To clarify: Do you have a "main box" - often called a "modem" - for all these services? If so, they usually have several lights on the front, as indicators for each of the services.

Let me know if you have that box, and if you can locate it.

Thanks

Greg- I will get back to you later. I'm not feeling well. Thank you. I know where the modem is and when I'm well enough to check it I will get back to you.

Sorry you are not feeling well - please rest up as much as you need, and I hope you feel better soon.

But let me send a recommend RESET procedure for that modem - which often corrects issues like this.

Also, if the reset does not improve this situation, you may want to contact Optimum Technical Support, for further troubleshooting and to find out if there are any OTHER FEATURES that might be active for the phone service (such as "Do Not Disturb" or "Call Forwarding").

Modem RESET/REBOOT:
To do that reset, simply find the POWER PLUG in the back of that box and disconnect it. And leave it disconnected for AT LEAST TWO MINUTES, and check that all the lights are out on the front of the box.
NOTE: If the modem has an internal "backup battery", that will need to be disconnected too - so that the lights go OUT.
Then, after the TWO MINUTES, reconnect the power plug (and battery if needed), and watch the lights on the front of the box for a minute or so, as the device restarts. When the lights "stabilize", then you should be able to make a NEW TEST CALL (to or from your cell), and see if the results have changed.

Please give this reset a try - when you feel up to it - and let me know if that corrects the issue.

Take Good Care, Greg A.

(im)

Greg A.
Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer