Nathan, Technician
Experience:  Residential and commercial systems.
59725966

I have a cordless phone (Model KX-TG5632) with base unit and

Customer Question

I have a cordless phone (Model KX-TG5632) with base unit and 1 remote unit. While on the remote phone this morning, it suddenly stopped working and displayed a message about system in use; try again later. Now the phone on the base unit has a blank display; it lights up there is isn't any information. Do you have a recommendation on how to re-set the system?
JA: Just to clarify, what's the exact make and model of your machine?
Customer: The base unit is labeled KX-TG5632 on top and the detail model on the under side is KX-TG5632M. The bottom of the receiver on the base unit is identified as model KX-TGA560M.
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: It started this morning. I unplugged the based from the wall briefly (15 +/- seconds) and then plugged it in again.
JA: Anything else you want the electronics expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No - unless you see that some info is missing. I probably don't know what to ask.
Category: Phone Systems
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 months ago.

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

Expert:  Nathan replied 2 months ago.

This symptom typically indicates a hardware failure in the base station (since the issue happens with all handsets). We most often see this type of damage to the base unit as the result of a power surge, either through the phone or power lines.

The one thing you may attempt yourself is to fully reset the system:
1) unplug both power and phone lines from the main base.
2) remove batteries from all handsets
3) wait at least 15 minutes, then restore all
4) place a handset on the main base for a minute, as if to charge
5) check for functionality.

Let me know the results.
Thanks,