Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience
13568747

I have a cordless phone with 2 extensions. All say "line in

Customer Question

i have a cordless phone with 2 extensions. All say "line in use" I can't call out or in. no dial tone. the provider is "magic jack". the phone 'device' is plugged into my modem. (the computer works fine by the way) Magic Jack has been unable to help me. Tried unplugging phone lines, ethernet lines, (but not anything with the wall jacks). can you help?
JA: How old is the phone?
Customer: several years. but i did change batteries in 2 of them last year
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: as above, tried unplugging phone lines, ethernet cables, using a different outlet on the power strip, waiting, nothing seemed to help at all. the problem started yesterday after a long distance call suddenly cut out.
JA: Anything else you want the phone expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: well yes - do you charge for advice?
Category: Phone Systems
Expert:  Russell H. replied 4 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

That usually means that one - or more - of the set of phones has suffered a failure, I think.

Approach it that way, I advise:

- unplug all phones from the MagicJack device, esp. the base unit of the cordless phone.

- remove all batteries from all phone handsets.

- leave that way for at least 30 minutes, to reset them all.

- then, plug in only the base unit, don't put batteries into the handsets yet.

- try using Speakerphone on the base unit - does that fail to work, or do you get a dial tone at least?

A: if you get no dial tone, if it doesn't work at all well as just-a-base-unit-on-speaker-phone, then you will need to replace the base unit at least, I suspect.

B: if that works OK to all seeming, then

- put the battery into only one of the two cordless handsets. Try it out - if it works, do similarly to the other one (which is probably the defective component of the phone system in that case.) - if it doesn't work, that's the defective component in all likelihood, and you should remove the battery from it, then put its own battery into the other cordless handset, and see whether that works instead.

--------------------------

Thus by elimination (and after a thorough reset of at least 30 minutes) you will find out where in the cordless phone system the problem is.

---------------------------

Let me know whether that settles the issue, or whether you need to know more. If the cordless phone proves inoperative quite thoroughly, then another idea is to test the MagicJack and the line with a different phone handset altogether, to make quite sure it is not a problem with the cordless handset's base unit (which is most likely.)

If this answers your question, please rate my answer. A five-star rating would be appreciated!

If you need more info, or have any comments, use Reply To Expert to respond.

Thanks.