Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience:  Working with Electronics for 25+ years.
5229702

We have a Panasonic telephone answering machine. Now when

Customer Question

We have a Panasonic telephone answering machine. Now when someone calls, the phone rings the usual 4 times, but instead of leaving a message, the caller gets the recording "the mailbox has not yet been set up by the subscriber". It has worked up to now for about ten years.
JA: Just to clarify, what's the exact make and model of your machine?
Customer: Panasonic KX-TG9341T.
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: About a week. I've unplugged everything and started over by recording a message and turning on the "answer" function. The message plays back fine. The "answer" light is on. It simply doesn't record and plays the message I described. The caller doesn't get my message
JA: Anything else you want the electronics expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No.
Category: Phone Systems
Expert:  Greg A. replied 4 months ago.

Hello & Welcome to Just Answer,

I'm Greg and will do my best to assist you today.

Sorry I didn't see your question earlier and to hear of any issue you are having with your phones.

To help you with this issue, may I ask:

1) WHEN did this issue first begin - or was noticed?

2) What phone service provider (phone company) you have for this phone line?

3) Can you do a quick TEST for me? That TEST is to change the RING COUNT for the answering system to TWO (2), and then place a TEST CALL to the system - to see if the answering system now picks up the call.

To change the ring count, pick up any handset while the system is not on a call, press MENU # 2 1 1, use the UP or DOWN arrows to HIGHLIGHT 2 rings, then press the SAVE soft key, then the OFF button.

Please REPLY using the box below and the SEND button.
IMPORTANT NOTE
: If you see ANY requests for "additional services" - such as a phone call - please understand that these are OPTIONAL and sent BY THE SITE AUTOMATICALLY (and not me), and I am NOT available by phone at the moment. Feel free to DECLINE (close) any such offers, and continue in this text/chat form.

Thanks

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Changing the ring count worked. Can I now return to the 4 ring count?
Expert:  Greg A. replied 4 months ago.

OK - if that worked, I now NEED to know what phone service provider you have for this phone line.

This is because when you or your callers here the "mailbox has not yet been set up" announcement, that is the PROVIDER'S "Voicemail system" taking the call.

So what I suspect is that the service provider has TURNED ON the voicemail system for some reason. This can happen when ANY CHANGE takes place with the service provider's "service package". Even a slight change is enough to trigger this event.

So you may want to contact your service provider's "technical support" folks and find out exactly when and why their voicemail system was turned on.

Please let me know what you find - or if you have any more questions about your phone or service.

Thanks, ***** *****

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Our provider is Verizon who just installed a new modem in our home a little over a week ago. I will contact them. Thanks for your help.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 4 months ago.

Ah yes - ANY change - such as installing a new modem - would trigger having the voicemail system turned ON (but not "set up).

If you have them turn OFF the voicemail system, you should be able to set the ring count on your Panasonic system to any value you like.

Please let me know what you find or if you have any more questions.
If this has helped answer your question(s), please take a moment to rate MY service level (5-star is my goal) so that I get credit for my time helping you with this question.
You should see some "stars" (and SUBMIT button) to do that, but please let me know if you do NOT see them (you may have to REFRESH your screen) or can not use them.

Thanks, ***** *****
--. .-