Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience:  Working with Electronics for 25+ years.
5229702

I changed internet service. The new one has a phone box and

I changed internet service. The new one has a phone box and now my phone keeps blinking that I have a voice mail, which I never subscribed to> I did the # button for 5 seconds , it worked for 10 seconds but keeps coming on
JA: How old is the phone?
Customer: It was bought in 012
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Its been going on for about 5 days I tried the #button for 5 seconds > that only worked for a couple of seconds Its still saying I have a voice mail message
JA: Anything else you want the electronics expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No just how do I get rid of that

Hello & Welcome to Just Answer,

I'm Greg and will do my best to assist you today.

Sorry I didn't see your question earlier and to hear of any issue you are having with your phones.

To help you with this issue, may I ask:

1) The FULL Model Number of the phone system you are working with? If this is a cordless system, that model should be printed on a sticker on the bottom or back of the MAIN base.

2) What (new?) phone service provider (phone company) you have for this phone line, and WHEN was the switch made to the new provider?

3) Can you do a quick TEST for me? That TEST is to pick up any handset - while NOT on a call - press the TALK (or SP-PHONE) button, and QUICKLY LISTEN for a dial tone. Please let me know if you hear ANYTHING BEFORE the STEADY dial tone - such as a few beeps or pulsed dial tones.?

Please REPLY using the box below and the SEND button.
IMPORTANT NOTE: If you see ANY requests for "additional services" - such as a phone call - please understand that these are OPTIONAL and sent BY THE SITE AUTOMATICALLY (and not me), and I am NOT available by phone at the moment. Feel free to DECLINE (close) any such offers, and continue in this text/chat form.

Thanks

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Model # KX-TG4031C The new service is VIA NET done on April 14, 2017. With the test I heard a few beeps

Hi again and thanks for that information.

OK - FIRST, if you are hearing "a few beeps" before the steady dial tone, that tells us that the service provider DOES have a "Voicemail system" active for the phone line. This is because those beeps are used as a "signal" to any phone attached to the line that there is either:

1) a NEW voicemail message waiting to be listened to - OR -

2) the voicemail system needs some "attention" - such as needing to be set up.

Now I did note that you mentioned "I never subscribed to" a voicemail system, but for MOST phone service providers today, when you START a service, about 99.9% of them OFFER voicemail and have that feature turned ON - as a default feature.

In other words, many providers have to be told to NOT activate that feature, or to turn it OFF.

So what I would recommend is contacting the service provider's "Technical Support" folks - via phone if possible - and have them turn OFF the voicemail system or otherwise configure it the way you want it to behave.

With all that being said, you CAN "mask" that signal on the Panasonic system - so that the "New Voice Mail" text will NOT be displayed on the handsets. This will NOT turn off the voicemail service or remove those beeps, but at least the text on the display(s) will no longer appear.

To MASK that signal, do the following on ANY handset of the system, while not on a call.

1) Pick up handset and press MENU

2) Press # 3 3 2 (pound-three-three-two).

3) Press the UP or DOWN arrows to highlight "Off"

4) Press the SAVE soft key (button below the display).

5) Press the OFF button (to exit programming).

That should do it,

Please let me know what you find or if you have any more questions.

If this has helped answer your question(s), please take a moment to rate MY service level (5-star is my goal) so that I get credit for my time helping you with this question.
You should see some "stars" (and SUBMIT button) to do that, but please let me know if you do NOT see them (you may have to REFRESH your screen) or can not use them.

Thanks, ***** *****
--. .-

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
That did not work The little light is still blinking.. When I pick up receiver it says the number I dialed is not recognised. I did not dial any number. It has only the last four #s of my phone # on hand set

What EXACT steps were performed - that did not work?

And is ANY key being pressed - when you pick up the receiver - such as the TALK or SP-PHONE button?

And does pushing and HOLDING the # key - UNTIL the handset "beeps" still turn off the "New Voice Mail" message?

Thanks

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I did exactly as you said. When I press # button for 5 sec. it goes off but only for maybe 10 sec. No key is pressed when picking upreciever

OK - when you pressed MENU #332, what did you SEE on the screen?

And when you pressed the SAVE soft key, did you HEAR a "confirmation tone" - letting you know that the setting had been saved?

And for hearing something when picking up the receiver, do you know if yuo have the "Auto Talk" feature turned ON for the handset(s)?

You should be able to CHECK for that feature (to see if it is ON or OFF), by pressing MENU #200 - when the system is NOT in use (not on a call).

Thanks

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Auto talk is off. When pressing save no conformation sound Now when pressing #332 it says VM detection off

OK - that sounds like the correct settings.

Did the "New Voice Mail" message go away when pressing and HOLDING the # key - UNTIL the handset BEEPS?

And if so, does it STAY off after that?

If not, it may be time to RESET the phone system, and I will send the process I use AFTER I hear back on the current status of that "New Voice Mail" text.

By the way - how many TOTAL handsets do you have with this system?

And if more than one, have ALL handsets been TESTED for this message and do ALL handsets have this same issue?

Thanks

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The message went away after holding the # key but only for 5 sec or so then it came back on I have 3 phones with this set and they all say the same thing

Sorry for any delay - the system is giving me "connection issues" today.

OK - may I ask if you have contacted the phone service provider yet - to have the voicemail system turned OFF or cleared?

And if so, are you still hearing the "beeps" before the steady dial tone - when pushing the TALK or SP-PHONE button?

I only ask because the beeps are the "cause" of this "New Voice Mail" text appearing, and once those beeps go away, that text SHOULD disappear.

As for the phone system, setting the "VM Detect" to Off SHOULD have masked those beeps, and turned off that message too - and should keep it off. But there MAY be some other "stuck" condition within the phone system, so we can try to "RESET" the phone system - to see if that can be cleared up. I have the reset procedure I use shown below, so you can give that a try. Once done, I recommend going back into the "VM Detect" setting and CHECKING that it is still set to Off, and then TEST (wait) to see if the "New Voice Mail" text returns to the screen.

Cordless system "reset" procedure.

This is done by following the steps below.
============================
1) Remove the batteries from ALL handsets in the system.
2) Remove the phone cord from the main base unit AND the phone jack in the wall.
3) Remove the AC power adapter plug from the main base unit AND remove the AC adapter from the power outlet.
4) WAIT 15 minutes. This allows any "stuck" conditions in the components to clear.
5) Reconnect the batteries in all handsets.
6) Reconnect the phone cord between the main base and the phone jack in the wall.
7) Reconnect the AC power adapter plug in the main base unit and then plug the AC adapter into the wall power outlet.
8) Wait 30-60 seconds for the system to reinitialize.
9) Test each handset for proper function.
10) Test each function of the main base unit (answering system, caller id, etc.).
============================

Please give these things a try and let me know what you find or if you have more questions.

Thanks, ***** *****

(im)

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok did the last thing you said to do and it did not work , so I called the provider and they took me off of Voice Mail. Have had no messages or blinking since. So thank you for your help.

Hi again,

Its good to know that the system working again.

If my input helped in ANY way (sometimes asking the right question leads to a solution), please consider rating my service at a high level (5-star is my goal). This is how I am compensated for the time spent with you, and how I help support my family.
You should see some "stars" (and SUBMIT button) to do that, but please let me know if you do NOT see them (you may have REFRESH your screen) or can not use them.

Take Care, Greg A.

(im)