Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience:  Working with Electronics for 25+ years.
5229702

I cannot get my phoe to ring or answering service to pick up

Customer Question

Category: Phone Systems
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & Welcome to Just Answer,

I'm Greg and will do my best to assist you today.

Sorry I didn't see your question earlier and to hear of any issue you are having with your phones.

To help you with this issue, may I ask:

1) The FULL Model Number of the phone system you are working with? If this is a cordless system, that model should be printed on a sticker on the bottom or back of the MAIN base.

2) Can you tell me MORE about the "old phone in the bedroom"? For example, HOW is the old phone connected to the phone service?

3) What phone service provider (phone company) you have for this phone line?

4) HOW is this phone (with answering system?) connected to the phone service?

Please REPLY using the box below and the SEND button.
IMPORTANT NOTE: If you see ANY requests for "additional services" - such as a phone call - please understand that these are OPTIONAL and sent BY THE SITE AUTOMATICALLY (and not me), and I am NOT available by phone at the moment. Feel free to DECLINE (close) any such offers, and continue in this text/chat form.

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
model no. KX-TG6591 phone service is with Time Warner Cable
the phone and answering service is hooked up directly the the phone line and it is pluged directly into an outlet.
The phone in the bedroom is hooked up to a line Time Warner put in. That phone works but I can't get this new one to ring when I get a call. when I go to settings and go to ring volume it will ring but not when I get an incomimg call.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again and thanks for that information.

OK - let's concentrate on getting the NEW phone to ring, and get a dial tone.

So may I ask if you can move and connect the MAIN BASE of the NEW phone system to the bedroom location - where there is a WORKING PHONE?

Basically I would like you to SWAP IN the phone cord for the NEW phone base, at the working phone jack in the bedroom.

You will also need to supply power to the Panasonic Base Unit - for it to work properly in the bedroom.

Can you do that for me?

Please let me know.

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok I will try that now
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

Take your time & let me know what happens when you make that connection.

By the way, if you would like to, you can also move the WORKING PHONE to the same location where the Panasonic Base WAS connected - as a TEST of that phone outlet (phone jack).

I will wait for your results....

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I hooked it up in the bedroom and called by my cell phone and it doesn't work in there either.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

Interesting ....

Did you

- Connect BOTH the phone cord and AC Power adapter in the bedroom?

- move and use the PHONE CORD for the Panasonic base (OR the phone cord that was connected to the "other" phone?

- Did any "lights" come on - when the base was plugged into power?

Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

Also, if the base is still connected in the bedroom, do you hear a dial tone -when pressing the SP-PHONE button on the base (see attached image)?

Please let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i brought the bedroom phone out to the living room and hooked it up to where the Panasonic was hooked up and it rang. so there has to be something wrong with that phone.
I used the phone wire that was in the bedroom. there is a dial tone when I press speaker phone amd the answering machine is lite. so there has to be something wrong with the phone.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

Yes - there COULD be a problem with the base unit not ringing.

But before we make that diagnosis, can you try the following for me?

Please tap the + (plus) button - on the main base a few times - while NOT on a call - and tell me what you hear (do you hear the ringer sound)?

If you DO hear the ringer, then repeat the TEST CALL from the cell phone - to TEST if the ringer now sounds with incoming calls.

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can use it tp make calls and when I hear the old phone ring I can pic it up and talk on it. I just can't get it to ring or the answering machine to take calls.
does the hand set have to have a name? that was in the menu but I never gave it one because I never heard of that before
I pressed the the + sign on base and you hear the ring but it still does not ring on incoming calls
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

The handset name CAN be changed on this and most Panasonic systems. But that should have nothing to do with this ringer volume issue.

May I ask the TOTAL number of handsets you have had working with this KX-TG6591 system AND do you see ANY "icons" on the display of those handsets? A particular icon of interest Looks like three Zs (Zzz).

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
there are 2 hand sets and there are no icons showing on either of them. Neither handset rings.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for that detail.

OK - we may have a bad/failed main base unit then.

May I ask the AGE of this system, and WHEN it not ringing was first noticed?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The phones have not rung nor the answering machine picking up since the day I hooked it up which is not very long ago, maybe a month. So do you think I got a bd phone or what?
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

It could be you got a bad unit.

May I ask WHERE and WHEN it was acquired?

Was it a retail outlet or somewhere else?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i bought it from Fingerhut, not sure the date but not that long ago.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

OK - was that the Fingerhut ONLINE service?

Is so, do you still have a copy of the original purchase - perhaps by email?

Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

Is this the system listing you have for the Panasonic system - at just over $100 (click link for fingerhut listing)

https://www.fingerhut.com/product/QA974.uts?cat=169

I only ask because I see the same system listed on Amazon - for about 62% of the fingerhut listing.

Click for Amazon listing --> http://amzn.to/2nLUVP8

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
why was my account charged $26 when you did not fix the problem except to say you thought the phone was broken which I told you anyway. I want that money credited back to my charge card. all you did was tell me it was xheaper on Amazon. when I gave my credit card it was only if the problem was fixed and we did not talk on the phone.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

We experts are "users" of this site - just like you - and have no access to ANY of your private information or account, including any charges paid.

Furthermore, any charges are for working with experts, in taking troubleshooting steps to find the real issue and provide instructions towards a solution.

If you have ANY concerns about your account or site operation, You can contact the Customer Service department at the following page:
http://ww2.justanswer.com/contact-us

You should also have an option on that page to contact Customer Service via email, chat, or phone.

Please let me know if you have any more questions - about your phone system - now or in the future.

Take Care, Greg A.