Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience:  Working with Electronics for 25+ years.
5229702

I get a new tel.for an existing system and installed battery

Customer Question

I get a new tel.for an existing system and installed battery and charged it in the base. I believe it registered. It charged for over 12 hrs. In the phone viewing area it states, "NO LINE. What have I done wrong?
JA: How old is the phone?
Customer: We rent and are snow birds. But the base does operate and records messages. If I had to guess maybe 8-10 yrs old
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Just stated placing the phone in the base yesterday. I have not tried any trouble shooting.
JA: Anything else you want the phone expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Yes, I registered the new phone in the base. after a while I placed the new phone in the aux base for charging. Realizing this may not be best thing to do I moved it back to the main base and charged it for 12hrs.
Category: Phone Systems
Expert:  Greg A. replied 6 months ago.

Hello & Welcome to Just Answer,

I'm Greg and will do my best to assist you today.

Sorry I didn't see your question earlier and to hear of any issue you are having with your phones.

To help you with this issue, may I ask:

1) The FULL Model Number of the phone system you are working with? If this is a cordless system, that model should be printed on a sticker on the bottom or back of the MAIN base.

2) What phone service provider (phone company) you have for this phone line?

3) If you have ANY other phones (NOT part of the main system) attached to this same phone line and if so, are they working properly?

Please REPLY using the box below and the SEND button.
NOTE: If you see ANY requests for "additional services" - such as a phone call - please understand that these are sent BY THE SITE AUTOMATICALLY (and not me), and I may NOT be available by phone at the moment of that request. Feel free to DECLINE (close) any such offers, and continue in this text/chat form.

Thanks

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Am home now. !. Cordless system. Model # CS6859
2. Comcast
3. Only the 2nd phone on an auxiliary base.
{ I did attach the phone to auxiliary base to charge it at1st. but moved it to the main base when I thought better of it.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 6 months ago.

OK - let me look that up.

While I do that, please let me know WHERE this additional handset was purchased AND if it was NEW or "Used" (perhaps "refurbished")?

Thanks

Expert:  Greg A. replied 6 months ago.

Also, what is the exact model of the additional handset?

Thanks

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
This is a leased apt. We are snow birds so I can't tell you much about the existing equipment. But the headset was purchased from V Tech on line in consultation with a sales representative who matched headset to the phone system.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 6 months ago.

OK - very good.

Did the additional handset include ANY "paperwork" - such as a "quick guide" - as that MAY show the model of the handset.

Thanks

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The auxiliary base model # is CS6719. When I purchased the headset they matched the headset to this base. The handset # DECT 6.0 auxiliary handset,. Manual states that it is compatible with Base CS6859.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Handset is new.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Auxiliary base and phone work fine The headset using the Cs6859 base also will work. Just the new phone will not work.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Greg A. are you still there?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I should have said the existing headset with the existing base works fine.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 6 months ago.

Yes - still here - but system is delaying your responses.

Let me exit and come back in - to see if I can correct that.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Just so you know I will not spend an additional $ 26. to solve this problem via a phone call.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 6 months ago.

Hi again,

I think I'm reconnecting again.

As mentioned earlier:

If you see ANY requests for "additional services" - such as a phone call - please understand that these are sent BY THE SITE AUTOMATICALLY (and not me), and I may NOT be available by phone at the moment of that request. Feel free to DECLINE (close) any such offers, and continue in this text/chat form.

Back to the issue: Let me look up that model of ADDITIONAL handset, and double-check about compatibility.

Thanks

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
OK. I understand. However we have past the 1 Hr mark. Do you think you can resolve this problem? Is so, how much longer for an answer? Are the pieces of equipment compatible?
Expert:  Greg A. replied 6 months ago.

Hi again,

Sorry for any delay - my system is "messing up" and not sending my responses back in a timely manor. Let me try again.

Does the ADDITIONAL HANDSET have a model printed on it (perhaps INSIDE the battery compartment) of CS6709?

Thanks

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
CS6709
Expert:  Greg A. replied 6 months ago.

OK - very good.

Let me send you the electronic (PDF) version of the manual for that handset, which does include the instructions for registering this handset to your system (see page 3 of that manual).

Click Here --> https://cdn-media.vtechphones.com/media/p/document2/products/%7B9358D98A-AA8A-4378-8E8A-6358CB5A6736%7D/CS6709-X_CIB_CEC_V4_20141229.pdf

That manual should appear on your screen OR download the file to your computer when clicking that link. Please let me know if it does NOT appear or download, as I can grab an image of the appropriate instructions and send them here - if needed.

Thanks

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Greg I already have these instructions. The batteries were placed correctly. I believe it was registered correctly The charging light is on. The phone picks up information about who called in the past. Yet NO LINEin the phone screen. You have not have helped me or addressed why. Can you help or is this all you can do?
Expert:  Greg A. replied 6 months ago.

OK - Can you tell me

1) The TOTAL number of handsets that are registered to the base unit?

2) Can you HEAR a dial tone - when pressing the TALK button on this handset?

Thanks

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
1. 1 to the best of my knowledge If you count the auxiliary headset, 2. But the auxiliary headset is existing.
2. No dial tone for the new headset. That is the problem........ Existing headset works fine.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 6 months ago.

Hmm - that's interesting.

This MAY be a problem with the base unit - and being able to successfully add this additional handset.

So let's try a FULL system RESET - and see if the "No Line" message goes away.

I have the procedure/sequence below that I use to reset these systems.

Cordless system "reset" procedure. This is done by following the steps below.
============================
1) Remove the batteries from ALL handsets in the system.
2) Remove the phone cord from the main base unit AND the phone jack in the wall.
3) Remove the AC power adapter plug from the main base unit AND remove the AC adapter from the power outlet.
4) WAIT 15 minutes. This allows any "stuck" conditions in the components to clear.
5) Reconnect the batteries in all handsets.
6) Reconnect the phone cord between the main base and the phone jack in the wall.
7) Reconnect the AC power adapter plug in the main base unit and then plug the AC adapter into the wall power outlet.
8) Place a handset in the Main Base unit and Wait 60-90 seconds for the Base and Handset to sync-up (reconnect).
9) Test each handset for proper function.
10) Test each function of the main base unit (answering system, caller id, etc.).
============================

Please give these things a try and let me know what you find or if you have more questions.

Thanks, ***** *****

Expert:  Greg A. replied 6 months ago.

One other question - while waiting for this reset.

Did you EVER see the alternating "To register HS..." and "... see manual" on the screen of this NEW handset?

Thanks

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
OK. sounds good. I will try it. It will take some time. Do you want to leave this communication open or can I shut it down. If so, how do I reach you?
Expert:  Greg A. replied 6 months ago.

You can leave it open for now - if that works for you.

OR - you can save a bookmark in your browser (CTRL-D in most browsers) and use that bookmark to return here at a later time.

I will be here for at least another hour or two and get notified when you respond.

Did you see my last note - about EVER seeing the alternating display on this new handset?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
no I do not.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No I did not
Expert:  Greg A. replied 6 months ago.

OK - let me send that again (below).

==========

Thanks

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No I did not see "to register "HS" or see " see manual on screen for this new handset
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Can I do this tomorrow, mid morning and still get back to you?
Expert:  Greg A. replied 6 months ago.

Interesting ... because that is what SHOULD appear - if the handset has never been registered to another base unit (that's why I asked about "new" vs. "refurbished").

Yes, we can continue tomorrow if you would like.

Just so you know, I'm in the Pacific time zone (currently about 3:33PM), and typically on here from about 9AM-9PM Pacific time.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Do I have to disconnect the auxiliary base and headset as well as the base and the new headset?
Expert:  Greg A. replied 6 months ago.

Auxiliary base units are only "chargers" - so don't have to be disconnected.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thanks I will try your list tomorrow. Right now is break time and time for "60 Minutes" Thanks Greg. I hope I can back to you tomorrow. I not much of a tech person/
Expert:  Greg A. replied 6 months ago.

Very good. I look for your response(s) tomorrow.

Have a Good Night, Greg A.

Expert:  Greg A. replied 6 months ago.

Hi again,

I just wanted to let you know that I'm back online today.

Please let me know the results of the RESET - when you can.

Thanks, ***** *****

(im)

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I am going to try to reset the system now. I will let you know the results.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 6 months ago.

Thanks - I should be here.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The base works fine. The headset has "NO LINE' in the headset screen. The same as before. However when I started the headset again the screen was not clear. It had information in the screen. SHOULD THE SCEEN HAVE BEEN BLANK?
Expert:  Greg A. replied 6 months ago.

Did you do the FULL reset procedure - where the batteries were taken out of ALL handsets?

I only ask because you could COMPARE what is displayed on a WORKING handset with the NON-working handset - to see what is "normal" (for a working handset) at each step along the process.

I hope that makes sense.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I did a full reset. I have only one handset. The batteries were removed. The working handset is in the auxiliary base. Do you want me to try that handset with the same proceedure?
Expert:  Greg A. replied 6 months ago.

RE: "The working handset is in the auxiliary base."

Is that "auxiliary base" actually a "charger" - with no PHONE CORD connection?

If so, then yes, we can to remove the batteries from ALL handsets during the process.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
That base connects into an answering machine with the phone jack. The answering machine connects to the Telephone jack in the wall. The power cord connects to power directly from the auxiliary to a wall outlet.. The answering machine does not operate. The answering machine in the main base is the answering machine used. Does that answer your question?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
If that answers your question, what next?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Strange setup.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 6 months ago.

Actually - let me study your response.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
OK.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 6 months ago.

OK - that does sound like a "strange setup".

Can you tell me if the "answering machine" can be totally removed from the system and still have a charger for the non-working handset?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I will try it. Give me a minute. The wire from the answering machine is hard wired and connects to the auxiliary base. It can be removed from the base. The answering machine is connected to the wall jack. I am sure I can use this wiring to connect the base to the wall jack. This is our only operating phone. I would hate to screw it up.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 6 months ago.

Do you have "modular phone cords" - that simply unplug from one socket (jack) and can be connected to another jack?

If I understand correctly, you will want to just take the non-working "answering machine" out and then plug the phone cord from the MAIN BASE into the same phone jack where the answering machine WAS connected.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
in part. The main base has nothing to do with this. The main base and the auxiliary are far apart. I am only talking about the auxiliary base cords.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
there is no confusion The phone in the auxiliary base works just fine in its present setup. It is wired through an answering machine . cons this affect the maim base?
Expert:  Greg A. replied 6 months ago.

I think it might be the different "terms" we are using that is a bit confusing. Let me send a diagram of a typical system, with the terms that I normally use.

And as for being connected THROUGH a non-working answering machine, that will NOT normally affect anything connected through it. That machine should be acting as an "extension cord" for the phone line.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
OK. But where do we go from here?
Expert:  Greg A. replied 6 months ago.

Well, what is "technically confusing" is that the "NO LINE" message is supposed to mean that the handset IS "registered" to a base unit AND that the base unit it is registered to is NOT connected to a valid phone line.

So can you tell me if that "NO LINE" message CHANGES - when the POWER CORD is removed from the MAIN BASE unit?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
That is what happened. I can do all of this again If necessary. I don't think the results will change...
Expert:  Greg A. replied 6 months ago.

What did the message change to (sorry I forgot to ask)?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
the message the first time I did this the message was NO LINE. I have not gone through this again. Do that answer your question?
Expert:  Greg A. replied 6 months ago.

If you can, please disconnect the POWER - from the MAIN BASE - and then look at ALL handsets.

What SHOULD be displayed on ALL "registered" handsets is something like "Out of range or no pwr at base"

Expert:  Greg A. replied 6 months ago.

Something just HIT ME.

Please take a look at the following attached image - of a CS6719-2 SYSTEM - and tell me if you have the MAIN BASE (on the left of the image) or the CHARGER - for this new handset.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
OK done New headset shows time ,date ETC, but not out of range. Exiting headset from auxiliary base says out of range in auxiliary base and main base. Would you agree that I should try to send back the new head set to VTech.? And stop this?
Expert:  Greg A. replied 6 months ago.

Let's not send it back - just yet.

Please look at the last image I sent, and tell me what you received - with this new handset.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I have the main base plus a screen and numbers and an answering system. It came with the unit on the right. I have been trying to get the headset to work with the unit on the left Can that be the problem?
Expert:  Greg A. replied 6 months ago.

Our use of different terms and our (my) misunderstanding is the problem (I believe).

What I believe the sales folks sent you was a SYSTEM (vs. Additional Handset & CHARGER) - where the handset is already registered to the BASE UNIT that it came with.

So now we have a choice:

1) Connect a PHONE CORD from the new BASE to a working phone jack OR

2) De-register the NEW handset from the base it came with and try to Register it to the OLD MAIN BASE.

Do those choices make sense to you, and if so, which would be easier for you?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Lets try #2. Walk me through it. I have the new base{charger}
Expert:  Greg A. replied 6 months ago.

OK - let me first send an image of the "How to add & register a handset" instructions - for a CS6719 system - and have you look at the "To deregister all handsets" section.

Don't do anything with it now, as I need to explain a bit more, because we do NOT want to "deregister" the OLDER handsets from THE OLDER base.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I got it. However I think I will send it back and start over again. But thanks for your help. When returned I will give them the right base or forget it and use just one phone. Thanks Greg. I have had it i afraid.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 6 months ago.

FIRST STEP - to "protect" the old system components from changes.

1) Disconnect the batteries from ALL of the OLDER handsets.

2) Disconnect the power (and phone cord) from the OLDER Main Base Unit.

LEAVE THESE COMPONENTS DISCONNECTED during SECOND STEP (below).

SECOND STEP: DEREGISTER NEW handset from NEW base.

1) Use the "To deregister all handsets" instructions I just sent.

Once the NEW handset shows the "To Register HS..." and "... see manual" (alternating), move on to THIRD STEP (below),

2) Disconnect POWER from the NEW base.

THIRD STEP: Register NEW handset to OLDER BASE.

1) Reconnect batteries in OLDER handsets.

2) Reconnect phone cord and power to the OLDER BASE.

3) Follow the steps to Register the NEW handset to the OLDER BASE.

I believe you have these instructions already, as I sent them before and you mentioned that you already had them. But let me know if you need them again.

Hopefully, this will register the NEW handset to the OLDER base.

If that works, then it should be OK to reconnect the power to the NEW base - although it will now be used ONLY as a "Charger".

I hope that all makes sense and can be done.

Please let me know if you have any questions about this process.

Thanks, ***** *****

(im)

Expert:  Greg A. replied 6 months ago.

Hi again,

I see it has been a few days and I haven't seen a response on this page, so I just wanted to follow up to see if you have any more questions concerning this issue OR if the issue was resolved?

I look forward to any further questions or results that you may have.

Thanks, ***** *****
--. .-
(im)