Phone Systems

Ask a Phone Systems Question, Get an Answer ASAP!

Phone Systems

When I try to use my phone, the "MUTE" comes on and won't

Customer Question
When I try to use...
When I try to use my phone, the "MUTE" comes on and won't turn off.
JA: Soon. I'm trying to find the right Technician for you right now. As soon as they are ready, I will let you know.
Customer: Because the "MUTE" stays on, even if I make a phone call successfully, I can hear them, but they can't hear me.
JA: How old is the phone?
Customer: 15 months
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: I've noticed it yesterday and for awhile I was able to use my phone. During my last call, the "MUTE" came on by itself, and that pretty well made my phone call over.
JA: Anything else you want the electronics expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I have my service bundled through Mediacom, and I had lost my internet connect for awhile yesterday, along with my phone service. My internet came back okay, but not my phone.
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Phone Systems
1/6/2017
Electronics Technician: Greg A., Engineer replied 10 months ago
Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer

Hello & Welcome to Just Answer,

I'm Greg and will do my best to assist you today.

Sorry I didn't see your question earlier and to hear of any issue you are having with your phones.

To help you with this issue, may I ask:

1) The FULL Model Number of the phone system you are working with? If this is a cordless system, that model should be printed on a sticker on the bottom or back of the MAIN base.

2) Do you have a button near the word MUTE, and if so, what happens to the word MUTE - when you tap that button?

3) Do you have ANY other phones (NOT part of the main system) attached to this same phone line and if so, are they working properly?

Please REPLY using the box below and the SEND button.

Thanks

KX-TGF353N
2) nothing
3) I have three handheld phones connected to one base. All of them, including the base, act the same way.
My phones don't work properly so how can you call me?

NOTE: If you see ANY requests for "additional services" - such as a phone call - please understand that these are sent BY THE SITE AUTOMATICALLY (and not me).
Feel free to DECLINE (close) any such offers, and continue in this text/chat form.

Continuing: For MOST Panasonic phones, when have MADE a successful connection (on a call) and tap the MUTE button, the word MUTE will BLINK SLOWLY.

Can you try doing that - and let me know if the word MUTE does (or does not) blink?

Another question for you:

Does this happen (caller NOT being able to hear YOU) for ALL CALL - both incoming and outgoing calls?

I don't want to call someone if I can't hear them. I have some medical problems and I don't want to get them worried about me. If I call them, and we can't talk with each other, they could think that I'm having problems. I live in Northern Minnesota and it's still about 20 below zero out side.

OK - do you have a local store or "time & temperature" number?

All we want to do is TEST - to see if the MUTE word flashes when the button is tapped.

I haven't had an incoming call for a few daya now, but when I do call someone, the MUTE thing doesn't permit us to talk with each other. During one phone call this morning, we were able to talk with each other and then all of a suddenm that Mute: appeared and they couldn't hear me, or II called a local number and I tapped the mute button a few times, and the mute didn't go away. But this time, even though the mute button was on, we were able to talk back and forth

OK - did you tap the mute button ONE TIME during a call - and see the word "MUTE" FLASH at all?

The "MUTE" didn't flash. It just stays on.

OK - I believe you are experiencing an "intermittent" issue in the SERVICE - from the service provider. This MAY be related to the outage of service you mentioned you had yesterday, but there is no way of really telling if that is the case without contacting the provider.

If that is the case (service issue), there may be a couple things that you can try - in your home - but it may be best to just contact the provider's Technical Support folks directly - and report this issue.

If you don't have the contact number for mediacom, I have it listed below.

1-844-2SIMPLE

(1-***-***-****)

Please give them a call and first TEST if THEY can hear you, and then tell them what has been happening with your calls (intermittent connection & one side of the conversation can not be heard).

Please let me know what is found or if you have any more questions.

Thanks, ***** *****

Hi again,

I see it has been a few days and I haven't seen a response on this page, so I just wanted to follow up to see if you have any more questions concerning this issue OR if the issue was resolved?

I look forward to any further questions or results that you may have.

Thanks, ***** *****
--. .-
(im)

Greg A.
Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer