Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience:  Working with Electronics for 25+ years.
5229702

I have a anasonic Kx-tgd394c digital cordless phone. The

Customer Question

I have a anasonic Kx-tgd394c digital cordless phone. The caller ID is not working. I have contacted Bell who have changed the line & equipment. They said it is the phone. I took it back to Best Buy & changed the phone & it still doesn't work. Can you please help?.
JA: How old is the phone?
Customer: 4 days old.
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: It has been going on since I purchased the phone 4 days ago.
JA: Anything else you want the electronics expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: That's all.
Category: Phone Systems
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 8 months ago.

Hello & Welcome to Just Answer,

I'm Greg and will do my best to assist you today.

Sorry I didn't see your question earlier and to hear of any issue you are having with your phones.

To help you with this issue, may I ask:

1) When you say the Bell folks "changed the line & equipment", Did they actually visit your location and then TEST to do that?

2) Do you have ANY other Caller ID phones in your location to that do work properly?

3) What exactly is NOT WORKING with the Caller ID? That is, is there NO INFORMATION AT ALL - for ALL incoming calls, or is something showing that is "garbled", etc.?

Please REPLY using the box below and the SEND button.

Thanks

NOTE: If you see ANY requests for "additional services" - such as a phone call - please understand that these are sent BY THE SITE (and not me), and I am NOT available by phone at the moment.
Feel free to DECLINE any such offers, and continue in this text/chat form.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
they visited my place & then changed the line & equip. When the problem persisted I then changed the phones. The problem has not been fixed.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I do not want to talk on the phone for $35. Thsnk you. I want to continue via mail.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Did you get my answer Greg?
Expert:  Greg A. replied 8 months ago.

OK - did they TEST - all the way from their lines to where you connected the Panasonic base unit?

OR - did you TEST the phone at a different "known working" location (friend, neighbor, etc.)?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
They tested from their lines to where I connect.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Did you get my response?
Expert:  Greg A. replied 8 months ago.

Hi again,

Please understand that it takes me a moment to receive your messages - and respond.

OK - did they SHOW that the Caller ID was working - with their equipment AND when a call comes in?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Greg, did you get my responses?
Expert:  Greg A. replied 8 months ago.

I see your responses ABOVE - in this screen.

Are you seeing MINE?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
It was working with their equip.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 8 months ago.

OK - next question:

Did you take the Panasonic to a DIFFERENT location - with working Caller ID - and connect it there - to TEST if it would work at that location?

Expert:  Greg A. replied 8 months ago.

I have also not seen a response for the following question:

What exactly is NOT WORKING with the Caller ID? That is, is there NO INFORMATION AT ALL - for ALL incoming calls, or is something showing that is "garbled", etc.?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No I did not! I haven' got a place to take it that has subscribed to caller I.D. If the Bell system had changed the wires & equip. It is supossed to work. That's why they said it is the phone. Everyone seems to be passing this problem around. I have had Panasonic for years & now I'm not happy with this problem at All!
Expert:  Greg A. replied 8 months ago.

I can understand your frustration.

But to "get to the bottom of this" - TESTING is needed.

So let me ask if this is the FIRST Caller ID capable phone you have owned, or did you have others in the past?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No I do not want to pay $35.00 for a call. These phones have. Already cost me enough. Thank you. We can continue this way. Hopefully you can solve the problem.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 8 months ago.

As previously mentioned:

If you see ANY requests for "additional services" - such as a phone call - please understand that these are sent BY THE SITE (and not me), and I am NOT available by phone at the moment.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I want to continue via text/chat form. Thank you.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 8 months ago.

Very good. My last question was:

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I have always had caller I.D & that is why this is so frustrating! It was on my old phones & then one night it stopped working. That is when I changed my phones twice now. So they're is diffenitly something with the phones.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Did you get my response Greg?
Expert:  Greg A. replied 8 months ago.

Please allow me a few minutes to type my responses (I'm not the fastest typist in the world).

OK - I can understand your conclusions - BUT let me explain my experience a little bit.

Over the years, about 90% of ALL "Caller ID" issues that I have found have been related to "signal quality" - of the phone signals coming from the phone service provider (phone company), OR through the "wiring" in the home/office.

Also, it is VERY COMMON for service folks (and others) to "point a finger" at the "other device/service" - or to "pass on" a problem - when they don't have a solution for you.

Expert:  Greg A. replied 8 months ago.

Also, TEST IS BEST - to find an issue, but SOME service folks may not have the equipment or skills to FIND a problem, and are more of "parts swappers" (if you know what I mean).

Expert:  Greg A. replied 8 months ago.

So let me ask a more specific question - about WHEN this issue first began:

Were there any "weather events" OR "electrical problems" OR "remodeling projects" - about the same time this all started?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I understand, but who is passing on the problem now? Obviously you don't have an answer to rectify the problem, other than to say it is the line again. They have tested the lines, changed the lines & equip. That is why they are saying it is the phones.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
when it first happened it was after a power failure. That is why they came to my home, then changed the lines & equip.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 8 months ago.

OK - I don't know EXACTLY what was changed - when you say "the lines were changed".

Was it the phone company's lines OR "INSIDE wiring" - in your home?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The phone co. Lines were changed.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 8 months ago.

OK - tell me a little bit more about this "power failure".

Did it effect ONLY your home, or was it a "whole neighborhood" event?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
It was the whole neighbourhood.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 8 months ago.

OK - was that failure tied to any weather event - such as wind or rain or some such thing?

One other question: Have you noticed ANY "noise" or "low quality sound" during ANY of your calls - since this all started?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Why do you keep asking about the lines, when you haven't suggested trying to see if there is something wrong with the phone.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I told you it originally happened when there was a storm. Since then they have changed all the equip. & lines. No, I don't hear any noise on the lines. They are good.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 8 months ago.

I missed the part about a storm.

And I keep asking about the lines because IN MY experience, Caller ID issues are mostly related to "signal quality" - and that is directly related to the lines.

If you would like to do something related to the phones, I already asked if there was somewhere you could TAKE the phone to - and TEST if the Caller ID works there.

Expert:  Greg A. replied 8 months ago.

Do you have someone that can visit and bring their WORKING Caller ID phone to your location - and TEST it there?

Expert:  Greg A. replied 8 months ago.

And that should be a "consumer phone" - NOT "phone company test equipment".

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I said the original probem was with a storm, but since then they have changed the lines. Iam living in the Laurentians and there is no one around me that has caller I.D.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 8 months ago.

OK - let me ask if there is a PHONE COMPANY "TEST POINT" - sometimes on the OUTSIDE of the home - that you can connect the main base unit to - and TEST THERE?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No, but it is in my home. Do you want me to plug into that line?
Expert:  Greg A. replied 8 months ago.

Yes please.

The basic process is to take the base unit (and its AC adapter), and connect it to that TEST POINT - as close to where the outside line comes into your home.

Then make sure you have a dial tone, then have someone call you - so you can SEE (or not) the Caller ID.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
O.K. I'll try that Greg. Thanks for you help! When I asked about this service you've given me, they asked for my credit card & pay $5.00 which would be refunded. So is that $5.00 going to be refunded. I do not want any plan. Can you take care of this for me. Thank you.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 8 months ago.

Hi again,

We experts are "users" of the site - just like you - and have NO ACCESS to any of your account information - including any payments.

We can ONLY advise you with information related to your question - about your phones or phone service, and the troubleshooting of the issue.

If you have ANY concerns about your account or site operation, You can contact the Customer Service department at the following page:
http://ww2.justanswer.com/help

I may have other resources that might help you troubleshoot this issue, but if you intend to get a refund, I will bow out of your question(s).

Take Care, Greg A.