Phone Systems

Ask a Phone Systems Question, Get an Answer ASAP!

Phone Systems

I have a 2 line telephone. It is set to 4 rings for the

Customer Question
I have a 2 line...
I have a 2 line telephone. It is set to 4 rings for the answer. It works fine on line 1, but on line 2 in answere after 1 ring. How do I fix?
JA: How old is the phone?
Customer: About 5years
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: It started about a week ago. I have reset the rings several times, no sucess
JA: Anything else you want the electronics expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Phone Systems
11/3/2016
Electronics Technician: Russell H., Service Tech replied 1 year ago
Russell H., Service Tech

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

What is the context of the phone's installation, please?

That is, is it installed in an office, or in a home? if in an office, the solution might lie in the PBX or phone system box that it 'talks' to the phone network through.

And in any case, please tell me, what maker and model # is your phone?

Let me know, and I will advise you further. Thanks.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It is my home and I use a void system. It is a Panasonic model KX-TG93911
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No

Thanks for the responses.

The phone model you have is a DECT phone, good.

Thanks for letting me know... but one, just one, further query: you use a 'void system'... what does that mean, please?

Thanks.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
NO
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I am out of time. I will reconnect after 2 pm pacific time.

A-OK. Enjoy your day, meanwhile, and thanks.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'm back. Let's continue solving my problem.

OK.

Just one, further query: you use a 'void system'... what does that mean, please?

Thanks.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Sorry, my phone is through the computer.

OK! Thanks for the information.

So... is your DECT phone, Panasonic KX-TG93911, connected to your computer?

If so, what phone service do you have, and is it MagicJack, or some other service?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
OOMA
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The phone is connected to the modem.

OK. So it is Ooma box phone service, then.

Did line 2 formerly answer after 4 rings also, or has it always been this way, answering after one ring?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Always worked until last week

Does the second phone line still work, basically, if you can pick up on it fast enough, or if you make an outbound call on the second phone line?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
it works fine except for this problem

OK! I think I have all the data I need on what is involved in your question, thanks you for patiently responding to my queries.

Now I will work on your answer... you may take a break, for it may be from 10 to 20 minutes before I type in and post the answer. You may return at any time to this question here:

http://www.justanswer.com/phone-systems/a008j-line-telephone-set-rings.html

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok

Is (A) the same handset connected to the same phone jack on the Ooma box?

Or (B) are there two handsets connected to two different phone jacks on the Ooma box?

Or (C) is it cabled differently (either one headset, or only one jack, etc. etc.) ?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Line 1 is through the OOMA box and line 2 is connected to the OOMA Linx.

OK. But is there only one phone handset?

Then the problem with number of rings could either be in the Ooma service configuration, or in the handset... except, if the handset rings a different number of times depending upon whether the call comes through the Line 1 Ooma box, or through the Ooma Linx (which goes where? by the way...), then it is in the Ooma configuration most likely.

(But, where does the Ooma Linx connect to?)

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Connected to an electric outlet for power and a line directly to the phone

Please tell me:

1. Does the Ooma Linx connect to the handset?

2. Does the Ooma Linx connect to the computer, or the Ooma box (and if so, what jack) ?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Connects directly to the phone
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The OOMA Linx is connected to the OOMA box wirelessly

OK, fine.

The handset takes calls, from both phone lines (somehow.) I presume so, since there's only one phone handset.

Then the Linx is what provides the second line... even if it provides the first line also.

So the handset is not where the one-ring setting is... it cannot be.

So... you have a problem with Ooma settings for the second line's rings, rings settings, or Distinctive Ring (if there is such a thing w/regard to Ooma service).

Ooma service needs reconfiguring ... is your second line what is called 'Instant Second Line' ? if so, there is not mention anywhere of how to configure its settings. I suppose you may either have to configure the Instant Second Line / line 2's settings on the Ooma box, or you will have to configure them by calling Ooma Customer Service (I hope not.)

If you need further help, please let me know.

If this answers your question, please let me know what your rating for my work on this case would be. Thanks.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The second line is a different phone number. Does tat help?

OK. Second phone number.

Do calls to the first phone number go through the Linx also?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No, through to OOMA box

OK.

Then you need to configure your Linx to a different ring pattern or a different number of rings before voicemail picks up (or whatever happens after that first ring if you don't pick up).

Or if the Linx has no such settings, then it is a setting for your second number/line, either on your Ooma box's settings, or in your phone line service's configuration for your second number.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I can set the number of rings through the phone menu, which I do, but it does not make any difference for line 2.

Line 2 is also a different phone number, is that correct?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
are you still connected?

Yes, I am here. And I asked you:

If so, call your phone company. (? with Ooma? that would be Ooma themselves, right?) Ask whether the ring number or number of rings or ring type on the second phone number, can be changed to match that on the first line, or to nearly match it, or to be two or more rings.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
OK, but you have not solved my problem. This worked fine for over a year and in the last 2 or 3 days I have this problem. I'm not satisfied with the results and request a refund of any money paid to your service.

I tried to post a response and it has disappeared...

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Resend it

I have passed your refund request to Customer Support at JustAnswer.com, which will handle it.

Thank you for asking your question here at JustAnswer.com.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank You

The second line is a second phone number, correct?

Then its number of rings is in the charge of your phone co.

(? Ooma ?)

I will still pass your refund request on to Customer Support if you don't wish to continue further.

Russell H., Service Tech