Phone Systems

Ask a Phone Systems Question, Get an Answer ASAP!

Phone Systems

I have a Vodavi Starplus STS system. We just had a power

Customer Question
I have a Vodavi Starplus...
I have a Vodavi Starplus STS system. We just had a power spike, and the phones are dead. Message on all phones read "LKD-24D V0.6J SCOUT-DX V1.1 NO SYNC". Any ideas would be appreciated.
JA: Just to clarify, what's the exact make and model of your machine?
Customer: One moment.
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Vodavi Model-3501-00
JA: The electronics expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: I think that about sums it up. Thanks
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Phone Systems
8/30/2016
Electronics Technician: Russell H., Service Tech replied 1 year ago
Russell H., Service Tech

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

NO SYNC means that the lines are down, that there is no network comm operating, or similarly.

Try turning Off *all* parts of the system - the phone system box, but also any other box that the phone line(s) from the Vodavi phone system box go through. (It might be a problem with a router, if a router box or switch box is also in the whole phone system.)

I wouldn't raise much in the way of hope for this case and this problem - power spikes do damage such systems, esp. when the phone system box is not protected by at least a good surge protector, and preferably a UPS power protection box... but there is some possibility of the system coming online again with the right treatment.

After leaving the system turned Off for at least 10 minutes (to rest and reset), turn On just the phone system box.

Then wait 2 minutes. (120 sec.s on the clock.)

Then turn On any other devices: router box, or switch box if there is one in the system.

Then wait another 2 min./120 sec.s.

Then turn On the phones. Wait 1 minute...

... What do the phones show at this point? look at, and try, more than one phone, in case only one line or port is down or damaged.

Let me know, by Reply To Expert, and I will advise you further.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have everything off and disconnected. Will wait 10 minutes, and then follow your power up steps.Aside from the phones, there are no other powered devices connected to the box.Other observations:
The fuse is good.
The lithium battery reads good voltage.

OK, that's good to hear.

Turn the phone system On after that 10 minutes, wait 2 min., turn the phones on, observe more than one phone after a minute or two... let me know how it goes, and what shows up (whether on the system box, or on the phones, more than one of course.)

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Followed the instructions. No change in symptoms.

I'm sorry to hear that.

NO SYNC still, on all the phones?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I found a new box online. If I purchase it, do you think it is something I can program on my own?

Vodavi (and other) phone systems are not terribly facile to initially program, esp. not for an elaborated phone system setup/network/functions.

I have to honestly say that, since I don't find them easy myself, even as an Expert.

But something can be done.

And yes, the Vodavi have may have to be considered a loss at this point, I'm sorry to say.

Be sure to power it through a good-quality surge protector or even a UPS box (more expensive, but surer to preserve the powered system(s) safely) in future. That is an investment that always pays off in the long run.

Would you be willing to rate my work and my answer favorably? if you consider this case to be finished.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have some technicians coming in to see what else can be done. Thanks for your help.

Good. Please rate my answer - a five-star rating would be appreciated! - and good luck with the old or new Vodavi system.

Thanks.

Russell H., Service Tech