Phone Systems

Ask a Phone Systems Question, Get an Answer ASAP!

Phone Systems

Have dial tone, cant dial out. nothing happens when hit numbers

Customer Question
have dial tone, cant dial...
have dial tone, cant dial out. nothing happens when hit numbers
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Phone System Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: yesterday had att come out to install voip . had vetch dect6.0 phone use to use with dsl. last few years used only cell phone. now when using old vetch can get calls but can't call out. model CS6114
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Phone System Technician should know?
Customer: No. Thank you
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Phone System Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Phone Systems
5/14/2016
Electronics Technician: Nathan, Technician replied 1 year ago
Nathan, Technician
Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Sorry to hear you’re having trouble. What do you hear when you pick up the line?Is the vtech base plugged into the att modem?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
When I push talk button get dial tone. Push any buttons to dial get nothing
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Can receive calls. Can't dial out.
Okay, that points to this being an issue with the vtech system itself.If you're getting the line (dial tone).Initially though, please reboot your att modem/gateway by unplugging power to it for 60 seconds.If no change, we'd need to test another phone next, preferably just a basic corded model, to isolate the source of the problem further.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Re booted modem/router. Vtech phone as well. Still only able to get dial tone and not able to dial out.
No other phones available to attach to modem.
It is virtually impossible to diagnose the problem without testing another phone. Can you go buy a cheap corded phone at walmart, borrow one from a friend/neighbor for a few minutes, etc? The thing here is that the problem could be the line, or the vtech.You could call ATT out, but if they come out and find nothing wrong on their end, they will charge you a $100+ service call fee, which would have ultimately been better spent on a new phone.Chances are it is the vtech system, but we really need to test further to confirm that and know how to proceed.
Greg A.
Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer